Bryce shapes

goofygrmom3goofygrmom3 Posts: 160
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Where can I find, or how can I make a heart shape for Bryce? I've looked thru my stuff and I just don't have one. I even tried to make one in Shape Magic to use in Bryce and that's not working very well for me. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 2012
    Post edited by Szark on
  • goofygrmom3goofygrmom3 Posts: 160
    edited December 1969

WOW! These are perfect. Did you just make these or did you have them on hand? In any case, thanks tons. That first one is exactly what I'm looking for.

edited December 1969

Nope I just did a Google search using "Heart Shaped OBJ" and one was toward the bottom of the page then I typed in "Heart Models" in to shareCg's search box..took me 5 mins

• goofygrmom3goofygrmom3 Posts: 160
    edited December 1969

Super. Thanks again. I checked out the obj heart and it will work perfectly for my Valentine backgrounds.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Now a question has been posed, how were they made?

edited December 1969

Your guess is good as mine.

• kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Heart shape would have also been very easy to make using the Terrain Editor.

Cheers
    GG

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

Having looked a few times over the years and failing to find a suitable one like I am imagining in my head, one task I intent to do is to try and make a heart shape for Bryce (Peter the Polar Bear will have a series of Valentine Card images this year).
    So when I get round to it, I'll try and post the method I use (If I can actually figure one out).

As kiwi_gg says, you could use the terrain editor (and I'd also us a symmetrical lattice as a starting point for that), but I was going to see if I could work out the geometry and make it using boolean modelling.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Intersect boolean mode could help, I once made a reasonable copy of the Aer lingus logo using intersect modelling (It was a challenge using intersect) That was a shamrock, and the leaf is made of 3 almost heart shapes.

Of course the working files were either on the external that died, or on the HD from 2 PCs ago, which is sitting on the shelf, not coupled up to any PC at the moment.

• edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

Having looked a few times over the years and failing to find a suitable one like I am imagining in my head, one task I intent to do is to try and make a heart shape for Bryce (Peter the Polar Bear will have a series of Valentine Card images this year).
    So when I get round to it, I'll try and post the method I use (If I can actually figure one out).

As kiwi_gg says, you could use the terrain editor (and I'd also us a symmetrical lattice as a starting point for that), but I was going to see if I could work out the geometry and make it using boolean modelling.

I suggest you might try MetaBalls - my favorite method to make most things organic.

Only a suggestion.....Oh! i fear you may end up with a real photo-realistic human heart......probably not what is wanted.

Peter

• edited December 1969

Ok! i will make you a 3D Heart using only Bryce.

It is getting late and i can't sleep because of post-tutorial depression.

The best medicine for that is: to get into Brycing!

So in few minutes or so you will have your hearts plus the methods for making many of them

Peter

• edited December 2012

Hello,

Here is the starting point from which the Heart can be developed further including later a H_Render then a Symmetrical Lattice which allows some refinements on the basic form. I will explore those later after this post.

Now for the basic images. You can see the basic geometry is easy but there are many variations i have not tried.

Wire-Frame.jpg
    800 x 800 - 245K
    Heart_01.jpg
    800 x 800 - 60K
    Post edited by pbudarick_4a3d2ac478 on
    edited December 1969

I'm going to have a try using meta-balls, but here is the initial Boolean version.
    I think It's more simple than Peter's version using only two stretched half spheres .

Heart1.jpg
    620 x 620 - 203K
    edited December 1969

This one even simpler being just two of the Droplets found in the Misc Object library.

AbstractHeart.jpg
    620 x 620 - 174K
  • edited December 1969

I'm going to have a try using meta-balls, but here is the initial Boolean version.
    I think It's more simple than Peter's version using only two stretched half spheres .

That is very nice what you have done. Demonstrates what can be done with Bryce with very simple means!

Here is another variant of what i did before but both halves were rotated slightly around the X-axis [Object Space].

Wire-Frame_02.jpg
    800 x 800 - 447K
    Heart_02.jpg
    800 x 800 - 50K
  • edited December 1969

Soon there will be many hearts.

Here is a first attempt to convert it to a Symmetrical Lattice.

Soft Pillow or Balloon Heart?

Heart_SL_07.jpg
    800 x 800 - 116K
    edited December 1969

I have been trying that out today and got some nasty artifacts how did you get this so smooth? I made a hieght map, saved it as an 8 bit grayscale .bmp at 2048x2048 res and I didn't get a smooth result.

Nicely done btw.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2012

Have to admit I was wondering the same Pete. Lovely shape from a symlat, Kine_magiK. Would make a super balloon.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • edited December 1969

Many balloons in the sky.

They are all Symmetrical Lattices

I will try a few other things later to make a nicer render.

I will tell you how to get smooth later too.

Heart_Many_01.jpg
    757 x 427 - 140K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 2012

Here’s a heart made simply using a coloured picture of a heart: which was grayscaled, bumped to 16-bit, mapped in Bryce as a terrain (copy/paste two symmetrically).

Jay

funny-cupid-source_ypf.gif
    153 x 83 - 10K
    heart.jpg
    590 x 1017 - 528K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • edited December 2012

Szark said:

I have been trying that out today and got some nasty artifacts how did you get this so smooth? I made a hieght map, saved it as an 8 bit grayscale .bmp at 2048x2048 res and I didn't get a smooth result.

Nicely done btw.

Hello "Szaek".

I am no expert at this but i will tell you what i did.

First i made a Bryce Heart Model. Then i set it up for a distance render down the Y-axis [could use height render also]. I used heavy DOF to blur the edges. I rendered at a very high resolution [2048] to get the Grey-scale map. Export as TIFF 24 bit. Then in Terrain Editor at [2048] load the TIFF.

The manipulations are complicated and intuitive. If i mess up i simply try again.

First we drop the resolution from 2048 to 512 or even 256.

Make sure the contrast gradient from white to black is not maxed out [usually it is not as the render will be quite flat and not display all the values from white to black].

Invert image and smooth very heavily then invert again and reduce the contrast gradient otherwise we get a flat spot in the middle.

Alternate this smoothing with application of Gaussian edges.

Toward the end bump up the resolution one step at a time and apply smoothing at each step making sure a flat spot does not develop in the center. Till we get to 1024 or even 2048. But usually 1024 is enough.

As i said i mess up all the time and i try again and again.

Finally bring up the clipping bracket.

This sort of processing does loose some of the outline of the shape. It becomes more rounded. If you don't want that then this method is not suitable. For Balloon Hearts it is of course ideal.

Like playing a musical instrument you need to play with this and practice.

I could write a step by step procedure of the process but that would take many weeks and i am sick of doing tutorials.

You could also start with only an Object Mask Render [or if you are not a Bryce purist with your ideal heart shape created in Photoshop]. Then you would create all the volume only with Gaussian Edges.

There are millions of ways to do this but the objective is to get a very smooth surface in the end without loosing the shape.

Hope this helps a bit.

Remember you can always reload the basic Grey-scale shape and try again.

Post edited by pbudarick_4a3d2ac478 on
    edited December 1969

no all that make sense to me I am not a newcomer to Bryce or Photoshop Elements so all good with me, thank you for that Kine_magiK it is much appreciated.

• edited December 1969

The Hearts are Coming.

This is a better render then the one i did before.

Heart_Many_02.jpg
    757 x 427 - 176K
  • edited December 1969

Hearts bring happiness in times of gloom.

Heart_Many_03.jpg
    757 x 427 - 150K
  • edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Have to admit I was wondering the same Pete. Lovely shape from a symlat, Kine_magiK. Would make a super balloon.

Thanks chohole,

This one is for you.

Heart drops are falling from the sky.

I love tinkering with this stuff....Bryce is great for that.

Heart_Many_Falling.jpg
    757 x 427 - 239K
  • edited December 1969

This the last one.

A Heart Shield.

Bryce Modelling with Boolean Set Ops.

Heart_Shield_04.jpg
    800 x 800 - 187K
    edited December 2012

A row of hearts, all done in slightly different ways.
    The only "cheat" being that the one on the far right was drawn up in Sketchup, extruded and then saved as a Collada .dae file.

The other three were variously done using 16 bit tiff files imported into the terrain editor (with two of those then being turned in to symmetrical lattices.

Row-of-Hearts.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 335K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Peter: That's a very nice looking heart. Good job.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 2012

Come on guys, it doesn't seem like you're really putting your heart into this heart making :) I know, maybe some one should try making a round tuit instead? That way they could give it to Dave and then he'd be able to make hearts and tutorials because he said he would do it once he gets a round tuit. :) Might be a good money maker too, I'm always hearing people talking about getting one but they never seem to, so there must be a shortage of suppliers but an awful lot of demand. :)

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • edited December 1969

Hello all.

I was not happy with my Bryce-ONLY hearts. Especially the one done as a Symmetrical Lattice. It looks nice, but it was too much of a "hit or miss job" mucking around in the Terrain Editor. I probably could not reproduce it.

So here is a better Bryce-ONLY Symmetrical Lattice Heart - one which i can reproduce reliably using known procedures and parameters.

First i show a picture of the Heart completed. It can of course be modified during the Bryce-ONLY construction process. Both the Form and the Shape can be modified.

Then some pictures of the construction process. I used BryceMODELER and BrycePAINTER. The latter is used to do Ambient painting in the DTE. These are nothing unusual about these. They are similar in concept to the various tools David and Horo have created and put on the DAZ store. I have been doing this stuff for over a decade.

The next picture [of 4 images] shows the process. To get a compound curve two disks of different radii were used. I nicer curve could be produced with 3 different radii. Of course BSOps were used.

We end up with a Heart-shaped surface to be painted on. It consists of two halves.

The first attempt was not very good as i used the wrong filter and ended up with concave sides and two flat plataux. Nothing can be done with this in the Terrain Editor. The last image [bottom right] shows the correct filter in use. It is possible to move the DTE greyscale textures upward if one wants the two lobes of the heart to have a fuller form.

The next two pictures show some of the technical details for people who want to do similar things. It is possible to build anything imaginable without using any other application than Bryce.

DTE_MatLab.jpg
    1440 x 560 - 257K
    CSG_BSO_01.jpg
    800 x 800 - 210K
    Process_01.jpg
    800 x 800 - 81K
    Make_Heart_01_8.jpg
    800 x 800 - 119K