What does unimesh refer to?

SassanikSassanik Posts: 340
edited December 1969 in New Users

Okay another noob question. What does unimesh refer to and why should I care?

Looking at the MFD I found this: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/morphing-fantasy-dress-unimesh-fits/

What does this do?

Thanks!

Amy

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

The Uni-Mesh items were the way for items to fit more than one character before Genesis was created. That version of the dress will fit V4 A4 and others I do belive. They have added all the characters to make it more useful, and you only need the one item instead of one for each of the characters. You will only find Uni-Mesh items for Gen 4 characters like V4 M4 H4 ect... Genesis no longer needs that type of item.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,537
    edited July 2012

The 1st & 2nd generations of DAZ figures had 2 different meshes Victoria 1 & 2 has 1 while Mike 1 & 2 had a different one that was shared with the original Stephanie.

With the third generation, they used the same mesh for everything. This doesn't mean that the SHAPE is the same but that they have the exact same vertices in the same position. This includes Victoria 3, Aiko 3, Stephanie Petite, David 3, Michael 3 & Freak 3. Compatibility was not 100% because the way the mesh was grouped for M3 & F3 was different from the others. All these figures also had very similar UV mapping. This was the first unimesh.

The 4th generation characters share another, newer unimesh. I think that the grouping for the 4th generation may be more consistent, but the UV mapping is less. (DS can switch UV maps it its necessary). Note that the Girl 4 is a unimesh figure while the original girl (Kim Goosens') was not.

When clothing refers to unimesh fits, that is an expansion to make the clothing fit more characters.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/v4-morphing-fantasy-dress/ is made to fit only Victoria4

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/morphing-fantasy-dress-unimesh-fits/ is an expansion that fits Aiko4, Stephanie4 and the Girl4 (1 or 2 also fit she freak but that is very rare)

Ditto for Mike/Hiro/Freak

Post edited by pwiecek on
  • JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,862
    edited July 2012

I was so confused by this when I was new. lol...so I can totally relate!

The easiest way I can think of to explain it is to take you wayyyyy back to the beginning. When figures were first created for Poser and Daz Studio, each figure was created from scratch. Later on, starting with Generation 4 ( that's V4, M4, S4, etc) Daz creators began using "unimesh" figures, which basically meant they "start" with the same figure to create the others in the series. Because the figures shared the same "mesh" (3d figure) they had the same number of vertices and joints etc and it allowed SOME clothing and textures to be shared. This was extended even further with the creation of Genesis, which is complete in it's ability to share content between many "characters".

So... to answer your question...it means the dress will work on all the Gen 4 girls

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • SassanikSassanik Posts: 340
    edited December 1969

Thank you everyone! That was very helpful!

Amy

• jimmulvaneyjimmulvaney Posts: 341
    edited December 1969

Follow up question: I am in the process of refining my Gen4 library and was wondering if I had V4 versions of an item as well as the unimesh version... Do I still need the V4 version? (not deleting them, just removing references to). Side note: I tend to stick with V4 and M4 almost exclusively but have been branching out into A4, G4 and S4 morphs, what does this mean when i go to fit a piece of clothing on a mixed morph character? I ask because it seems to me like some of my Unimesh installs have been replacing my V4 props... Courageous comes to mind... TIA.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The Unimesh Fit is an add-on for the V4-only or M4-only version, and won't work without it.

edited December 1969

What the unimesh versions add is a new .cr2 file with more morphs, but the base version should still be there as well.

• jimmulvaneyjimmulvaney Posts: 341
    edited December 1969

Okay thanks for that but does that mean; if I load up V4 with an outfit and then use Realistic Aiko 4 morphs, does that mean I should load the Unimesh version of that outfit on her instead?

edited December 1969

XiMiX said:
    Okay thanks for that but does that mean; if I load up V4 with an outfit and then use Realistic Aiko 4 morphs, does that mean I should load the Unimesh version of that outfit on her instead?

Yes, you want to use the Unimesh version instead of the regular version -- they'll be in the same folder with UM in the name.