Instancing Lab Tutorial Completed: Part 1 of 6

2»

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

Tutorial here tend to get buried soon. I've worked 9 hours on a PDF today. It'll be most probably ready tomorrow. I'll have it checked by Peter first and if it is to his specifications and he permits, I'll publish it on my website where other Bryce documents are already available (under the topic Bryce Documents).

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Could always put a link to Peter's in the tutorial sticky at the top of the forum.

• KerynaKeryna Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

Kine_Magik thanks for your detailed tutorial - it looks really interesting and worthwhile.

edited December 1969

Peter, I've sent you a PM. If you haven't got it, please tell me. I'm not very comfortable with these PMs here.

• edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Peter, I've sent you a PM. If you haven't got it, please tell me. I'm not very comfortable with these PMs here.

Hello Horo,

I HAVE got and read your latest PM and i will email you soon. You can then email me back because you will then have my personal email.

You are a very dedicated member of the Bryce Community.

I am very thankful for your support.

You will "hear" from me soon.

Oh by the way: Last night i finished updating all my tutorial posts in this thread. Changed all the picture and para references to bold text [so that they will stand out], fixing a few typos and deleted or edited some text which i thought was inappropriate to the flow and spirit of the whole thing.

Kind regards

Peter.

• edited December 1969

keryna said:
    Kine_Magik thanks for your detailed tutorial - it looks really interesting and worthwhile.

Thank you Keryna.

Even though i know it is not a very good tutorial as a whole, i believe there are bits of interest in it for every one [from newbee to power user].

Kind regards,

Peter.

• edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    This tutorial would have taken me too long to read online, so with the aid of copy and paste, and MS Word, I've a copy I can read at my leisure. Or print if I so desire. From little I have read, there's a lot of information. Great job Peter.

Thanks GussNemo,

Yes there is a lot of information in it and there could have been even more. But had to find a reasonable limit somewhere. There is actually less than 10% of the actual work [some of it research some of it artistic] over a period of several months recorded in it!!! It would have been too much for most Brycers if i had put everything into it.

Kind regards,

Peter

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Peter: I do understand about drawing the line somewhere, about how much is too much, and what do you include. Still, besides the artist's self doubt, it does look to be very useful.

• edited December 2012

GussNemo said:
    @Peter: I do understand about drawing the line somewhere, about how much is too much, and what do you include. Still, besides the artist's self doubt, it does look to be very useful.

Of course the tutorial is useful GussNemo. Everyone will find in it something they want to know. Power users will no doubt find points i have exposed which they can explore and master beyond anything i could hope to explain.

Thank you for your kind support.

Peter

Post edited by pbudarick_4a3d2ac478 on
    edited December 1969

I thank you again, Peter, for your awesome work and your kind permission to publish a ready-to-print PDF on my site.

Here is the direct link: http://www.horo.ch/docs/guests/pdf/InstancingLab_Kine_magiK.pdf

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you for taking the time to PDF Peter's work.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,988
    edited December 1969

Peter this work is awesome. I was going to print the text so I don’t need to scroll up and down when I go through this tutorial and saw the post by Horo. I’m fascinated by the different shapes of the brushes.

Your renders in the Show us your Render thread are amazing – 2 to 3 weeks to render a scene wow. You sure have patience.

Thanks - your hard work is appreciated. Thanks Horo for pdf downloading it now.

• eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I noticed instancing isnt really instancing but creating more objects of the same kind.

Why I am saying that? Maybe I am wrong but:
    If I create instances the created instances should not really slow down Bryce.
    I mad a tree and created instances, maybe 50 of the and out them onto a mountain. After that Bryce slowed down substantially.
    If there were real instances that should not have given me any real slow down with only 50 trees.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

I noticed instancing isnt really instancing but creating more objects of the same kind.

I mad a tree and created instances, maybe 50 of the and out them onto a mountain. After that Bryce slowed down substantially.
    If there were real instances that should not have given me any real slow down with only 50 trees.

Here is the answer to your question. Even instances have virtual polygons which the wireframe view has to account for. All that complexity of the wireframe exceeds the expectations set forth 20 years ago when Bryce got its legs. Solution: Show as Box in the Attributes.

Show as Box simplifies the wireframe enough for navigation to come back closer to normal. For even faster navigation, make your source a Show as Box before you start painting it onto other surfaces. This way the instances are born already in Show as Box mode circumventing most of the slowdown.

Also with trees, even with Show as Box, its going to get slow. This is a particular problem with Bryce trees I have discovered, not sure the exact nature. But rest assured, they are true instances. The thing to remember is that the total number of polygons in a scene both real and virtual must be taken into account.

Have you read my short "intro" tutorial yet on the Instancing Lab? In that tutorial I explain the basic difference between mere replications and true Instances, and how and why it operates as it does.

This is an example of a render I made with the IL long ago, using Bryce trees even for the grass (leafless trees with lots of stems facing upward). While complex and natural looking beyond what is expected from most Bryce scene, the navigation is terribly slow. It takes 30 seconds for even simple changes to occur. We need 64 bit support badly. Fun Fun

Promo_scene_test_17_X_4A.jpg
    1280 x 840 - 1M
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,358
    edited December 1969

I like it. Very nice and peaceful.

edited December 1969

Have you read my short "intro" tutorial yet on the Instancing Lab? In that tutorial I explain the basic difference between mere replications and true Instances, and how and why it operates as it does.

That should be read before the one from Kine_magiK. It can be found here: http://www.horo.ch/docs/guests/pdf/InstancingLab_Rashad.pdf