Two problems

gregory mgregory m Posts: 99
edited December 1969 in The Commons

First thing down load speed from DAZ have not inproved since my last posts then down loading files I am getting speeds around 2.5 kb/sec I am try to rebuild my files I got from DAZ is very slow. I have some set backs in down loading files. I lost four months of efforts with a power spike. Second thing the PDF information from DAZ how un zip files don't match when I use winzip 17 program, because I don't talk well the tech support is not want answer my phone calls or answer my help requests thru their help center on line

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Can't help much with the download speeds, as it sounds more to do with your ISP than Daz themselves. I've been getting consistently high download speeds so far. As far as Zip files are concerned, there are a lot of applications which will open them and extract them. A quick google search will point you in the right direction. If you're getting unzip errors, then chances are it's a corrupted file, in which case try to download it again.

Some ISP's are having difficulty at the moment, especially Virgin Media. Some of the newer technologies end up breaking extracted files such as ZIP files, leaving corrupted files. Sometimes you can ignore this (WinRAR has a function to extract even broken files, which occasionally turn out to work fine), and sometimes you'll have to get the ZIP file again.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

You mention zips? are you talking about zip files from DAZ 3D ? Most content from DAZ 3D is in .exe format for PC users and only in zip format for Mac users.

Only some of the older content is currently in zip files for PC users.

Are you using a PC or a Mac

AS regards the download speed, I to would suspect that to be either an ISP problem your end, or maybe a router problem. Try resetting your router if the slow speed continues.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,510
    edited December 1969

Greg said:
    First thing down load speed from DAZ have not inproved since my last posts then down loading files I am getting speeds around 2.5 kb/sec I am try to rebuild my files I got from DAZ is very slow. I have some set backs in down loading files. I lost four months of efforts with a power spike. Second thing the PDF information from DAZ how un zip files don't match when I use winzip 17 program, because I don't talk well the tech support is not want answer my phone calls or answer my help requests thru their help center on line

Highlighted what I think is the important info in the post.
    - Download speed is not a DAZ issue I think. I get 300kBit/s / download up to three in parallel (can't saturate more as I only have 8MBit line) I guess it's capped at 300, but that's fast enough.

- The Install zip instructions that you will get in your download are for the old content that has been moved to zip to avoid problems with old installers not working properly. WinZip 17 make me assume you are on Windows. I don't really see what is inconsistent in the documentation though. It's pretty straight forward. Just remember to download the correct files (Mac or PC), or you will be confused when trying to install the "installer files"

• 3DProclivity3DProclivity Posts: 538
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Greg said:

Highlighted what I think is the important info in the post.
    - Download speed is not a DAZ issue I think. I get 300kBit/s / download up to three in parallel (can't saturate more as I only have 8MBit line) I guess it's capped at 300, but that's fast enough.

- The Install zip instructions that you will get in your download are for the old content that has been moved to zip to avoid problems with old installers not working properly. WinZip 17 make me assume you are on Windows. I don't really see what is inconsistent in the documentation though. It's pretty straight forward. Just remember to download the correct files (Mac or PC), or you will be confused when trying to install the "installer files"

Very highspeed connection here. I sometimes get as much as 1M -- 2.5 M/s....

DAZ is definitely not to blame for slow speeds, assuming you can connect to the website that is. ;)

• SalvatoreSalvatore Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

I've also have two problems,

I am sooooooooooooooo TIRED !!!!
    **grunt, sigh, etc,,**

(And the rest of the universe is the second problem cause of the first)

Thats all... :P

edited December 1969

DAZ is definitely not to blame for slow speeds, assuming you can connect to the website that is. ;)

11 days to my 100/100 fiber is connected, then it will be fun to test.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Some ISP's are having difficulty at the moment, especially Virgin Media..

Never have any issues with Virgin at all. Been with them since installed when they were called Telewest.

And it sounds like the OP is using a Mac as Winzip is built in to Vista and Win 7 (don't know about Win8)

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Totte said:

11 days to my 100/100 fiber is connected, then it will be fun to test.Drool time. But with living in rip off Britian I will never be able to afford more than 20MB/s

edited December 1969

Szark said:

Some ISP's are having difficulty at the moment, especially Virgin Media..

Never have any issues with Virgin at all. Been with them since installed when they were called Telewest.

And it sounds like the OP is using a Mac as Winzip is built in to Vista and Win 7 (don't know about Win8)

Unzip is build in in Mac OS X as well, but I've seen before that some people just have to install "zip replacements" that trashes installers.
    In that case OP uses Mac OS X and has installed one of the numerous "zip replacements" the advice is as I've posted in several posts before, simply put, "DON'T!".

Why? Because they are badly written and trashes the zipped installers as they also contains zipped data. Apples built in unzip is clever enough to leave anything inside an .app-wrapper untouched.

• gregory mgregory m Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

First thing first I want to say thank you all sending those e-mails helping me with the my problems. I have innternet cable that I pay extra for high internet speed. I clocked the speds up to 10 mb/sec with down loads from runtimedna.com yesterday 12/25 and 15 mb/sec from rendersosity.com on 12/24. On those two days I clock at first start any downloads at 60 kb/sec then droped to 2.5 kb/sec by the time I finsh down loading my files on 12/24 to 12/26 from daz. . I been with daz more than five years I have a lot of files I lost many files more than once using flash drives. If any one got the new up grades for Daz studio 4.5 I have to deal 2.5 kb/sec down load speed I get run mile up the road I live on still have time cool down before I finish my download daz.Urban Ruins is new file that came out last year from Daz and it just a zip file and nothing less. Many of the old file daz taken out thier installers for poser and just left a zip file

• gregory mgregory m Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

One other thing there are two versions of zip files, first one it free to the public and the second made the same people this zip program in the first place that you pay for to get the latest version on the market. I pay for this zip program to keep up with up grades from Winzip. On old poser 5&6 I have unzip over 1000 zip files and have installed into poser 5&6 on my old computer now paper weight

edited December 2012

I tried to reply to your PM Greg bur for some reason the forum finds , and decided that I cannot reply as there is two greg, one Greg and one greg and all I get is "Invalid Username".

Post edited by Totte on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2012

Greg, could you please contact Richard Haseltine by PM, and give him your email address, the one that you use to log on the the forum, and he can sort out this problem with the username. Thankyou

Edited to add. Richard has been able to sort it out, so Totte, if you try sending Greg a PM, it should work this time.

Post edited by Chohole on