OT: Jack Klugman, "Quincy ME", RIP

ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
edited December 1969 in The Commons

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20840475

The famous actor from Quincy and The Odd Couple, has passed away at age 90.

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited December 1969

...ohhgeez, loved him in the Odd Couple series.

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited December 1969

In a TV world where most masculine characters were generally played (and written) unconvincingly, or shallowly, he was a real guy.

I doubt if anyone else could've played Oscar Madison as well.
    (I was biased against the movie, having seen it later. But I don't think Matthau was nearly as much fun).

And he made Quincy watchable.

I wish I remembered his Twilight Zone episodes more clearly. I do remember he was excellent in "A Game of Pool", though (opposite Jonathan Winters in a brilliant, serious role).

I'm sure I saw "12 Angry Men", on TV, when I was a little kid. But I have no recollection.

In interviews, his throat cancer surgery didn't seem to slow him down - just another thing, in life, to deal with.

I'm glad he got to a ripe old age.

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

awww bummer, I loved Quincy :(

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 6,992
    edited December 2012

Jack Klugman used to remind me of my step-dad a lot, in looks and voice.
    I liked him in most of his roles. He always seemed to play the grumpy curmudgeon with a heart of gold... especially as Oscar Madison.
    My friend and I used to play Quincy... she was Sam and I was Quincy... we would autopsy her sister when she fell asleep on the sofa... It was more of a running gag than an actual game, but it would to annoy the hell out of her sister to find us trying to saw her head open with playschool tools... she was a real heavy sleeper and we got some great pictures out of it.
    90... not bad, but he'll be missed.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited December 1969

...I always thought he would have been a perfect fit for the film Grumpy Old Men.

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I always thought he would have been a perfect fit for the film Grumpy Old Men.

he took over Mathau's role in the Odd Couple, Mathau did the film version, Klugman did the TV version

• GeroblueJimGeroblueJim Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

A fine actor. He'll be missed.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 2012

I heard this on the news last night and was saddened. I loved both the Odd Couple and Quincy. :long:

Post edited by Miss B on
  • jerriecanjerriecan Posts: 470
    edited December 1969

I loved watching Quincy reruns. :( He will be missed.