Bryce 7 Pro very slow

Sgt PeppaSgt Peppa Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hi, I'm running Win 7 Ultimate, on an Intel i7 Quad, with NVidia Gforce 9400 GT, with 16 Gig memory. It's not top of the range but
3ds Max, Daz Studio 4, Poser Pro, and all Adobe products run very smoothly, no problems.

I have just installed Bryce 7, with all the content, and the Pro content -- all were downloaded from Daz3D.com

But loading a basic landscape, or object, takes a few minutes, and changing views...forget it.
I haven't even tried to render yet, let alone edit the scene.

I bought Bryce 4, years ago, and it ran beautifully.

Any ideas, would be appreciated. :roll:

Comments

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

Perhaps you need to update your hardware ;-)

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

What Display mode are you using - OGL (which is very slow in Bryce) or wireframe?
    If you're using wireframe what is your Display Resolution set to ((cube gadget at bottom right of interface)?

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Sgt Peppa said:
    Hi, I'm running Win 7 Ultimate, on an Intel i7 Quad, with NVidia Gforce 9400 GT, with 16 Gig memory. It's not top of the range but
    3ds Max, Daz Studio 4, Poser Pro, and all Adobe products run very smoothly, no problems.

I have just installed Bryce 7, with all the content, and the Pro content -- all were downloaded from Daz3D.com

But loading a basic landscape, or object, takes a few minutes, and changing views...forget it.
    I haven't even tried to render yet, let alone edit the scene.

I bought Bryce 4, years ago, and it ran beautifully.

Any ideas, would be appreciated. :roll:

Well you say it's a basic scene you're loading but that really doesn't tell us much, it could be that you are loading a fairly memory intensive scene, The programs you list above as running smoothly all have the ability of taking advantage of a 64Bit Systems increased memory capacity. Unfortunately Bryce not being 64 Bit can not take advantage of that and if you are just running it as it is after installing it, it's only able to access about 2 GB's of that 16GB of memory. There is a little utility that can be placed in the bryce directory and run that makes Bryce Large Address aware which allows it to access almost 4GBs of memory but that's the best it will do for now. Unfortunately I don't have a link for this Large Address Aware utility but hopefully someone who does will see this and post a link here for you?

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,117
    edited December 1969

@Sgt Peppa - Dan's answer is probably the most important one. Bryce doesn't support graphics processors and from personal experience I can tell you that I found no difference between a $600 and a $40 graphics card (once the expensive one failed and I got a cheap replacement until I got a new expensive one, that's why I know). Use only wireframe mode, otherwise it gets very slow (see pocture)

As for LAA (large address aware): Bryce is still a 32-bit application and as such can only address 2 GB. If your system sports at least 4 GB of memory, consider using the LAA software, which can be downloaded for free from http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556 - read the page, LAA is simple to use and works for Bryce 4, 5, 5.5, 6.0, 6.1, 6.3, 7.0 and 7.1. I have all those versions installed and tested LAA with them. There is also the tool Process Monitor available on the same page. It is something like the Task Manager but it shows memory and processor use for only the running program selected, e.g. Bryce. In my experience, LAA gives Bryce about 3.2 to 3.5 GB of usable memory.

Please be also aware that Bryce has no "carbage collection". This means that with every manipilation you make, the undo-buffer fills up until you run out of memory. Once you get near the memory limit, save your work, quot Bryce and restart it. That's the only way to clear the undo-buffer.

wireframe.gif
    217 x 410 - 13K
  • Sgt PeppaSgt Peppa Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks to everyone, for your replies and ideas. I tried LAA but, not much difference. I going to uninstall Bryce, and try to install it again, without the content - see how it works. Install content - see how it works. Install the Pro Content - see how it works.

Let you know how it goes. :roll:

• karl garnhamkarl garnham Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi SgtPepper

Bryce is a bit slow on your computer you there maybe some other program interfering with Bryce that it doesn't like(but I don't think that's it). Go to the Start Button and type in msconfig and then go to startup and untick everything apart from you Antivirus and Security and click apply. Also Try Defragmenting Your Computer you want to do this once a month ideally. And clean the cache and Cookies and then see if it speeds up. From what you are saying if you have 16GB of Ram it should be as quick as a blue hedgehog but clearly it is not. So You may want to uninstall bryce 7 pro and try reinstalling the program. If that does not resolve the issue It could something like a bad update and if that is so go back to before the time you installed it(it will be under system restore.)

Hope that helps

Karl

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Hi SgtPepper

Bryce is a bit slow on your computer you there maybe some other program interfering with Bryce that it doesn't like(but I don't think that's it). Go to the Start Button and type in msconfig and then go to startup and untick everything apart from you Antivirus and Security and click apply. Also Try Defragmenting Your Computer you want to do this once a month ideally. And clean the cache and Cookies and then see if it speeds up. From what you are saying if you have 16GB of Ram it should be as quick as a blue hedgehog but clearly it is not. So You may want to uninstall bryce 7 pro and try reinstalling the program. If that does not resolve the issue It could something like a bad update and if that is so go back to before the time you installed it(it will be under system restore.)

Hope that helps

Karl

I am sorry, but I think your post will just serve to further confuse the issue. 3 people who have been using Bryce for years, and are fully aware of it's strengths and weaknesses have already addressed the OPs questions.

I certainly don't think it is a good idea to suggest someone should start messing around wiht msconfig at this stage,

edited December 1969

Hi chohole

Sorry I am not trying to insult anybody I was trying to Help I have a lot of respect for the Bryce artist and Creators on this Site because I use Bryce and have used Bryce for nearly 6 years I am not regular on the forum though and have not long joined. I only said about msconfig because when you go on the internet it adds all sorts of junk to the startup and slows the Computer down anyway whether you use Bryce or not.

I am sorry if I insulted anybody

Cheers

Karl

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2012

Yeah, I shouldn't have got so sharp, but unfortunately Bryce is only 32 bit, so does not take advantage of huge amounts of ram.

I actually cannot run B7 on my aging machine, but when I get a new one built am only going to have 4 gig of ram, as any more is not going to help me, as Bryce is my app of choice, and I need to keep costs down. I do need an updated CPU though, faster and more robust than my elderly one.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Hi chohole

Don't worry I myself get quite sharp sometimes(I am a bit of a Victor Meldrew in that department). Bryce has kept me sane for the past 6 years without it I would have no work because I can't work well with other programs like Blender and Wings3d. I Think Bryce can also be used for things other than art like training in computer building say all of the components are made and then its up to the person to put them together to make the computer work (a Bit like an Air Fix model) or Clock workshop that teaches about how a clock works. And I also believe that one Day Bryce will be the number 1 name in Computer Modelling its fun, affordable and it doesn't need a expensive Computer to run it. I have a lot of respect for Bryce artists and Bryce programmers because people have just gone to prove that Bryce is more than just a Landscape Generator

Thanks

Karl

edited June 2012

I Think Bryce can also be used for things other than art like training in computer building say all of the components are made and then its up to the person to put them together to make the computer work (a Bit like an Air Fix model) or Clock workshop that teaches about how a clock works.

You might be interested in this thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/533/ and the link to bryce5.com where Oroboros presents Mekanix - a very exciting project.

And I also believe that one Day Bryce will be the number 1 name in Computer Modelling its fun, affordable and it doesn't need a expensive Computer to run it. I have a lot of respect for Bryce artists and Bryce programmers because people have just gone to prove that Bryce is more than just a Landscape Generator

How could I not agree. Bryce is a great landscaper, but that's just the proverbial tip of the iceberg. With Bryce, you can do (almost) everything. Not even the sky is the limit.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Hi Horo

Thanks for Showing Me the link its very interesting and Also goes to show that Bryce is more than just a landscape Generator.
    Its weird But when I started using the program 6 years ago I did not realize until I started living, Breathing and Sleeping with Bryce that you do so much that its a Great Program its not expensive its not hard to use IMHO like Blender ,3d Studio Max and Even Wings3d. When I first Started There was one who said I should try a real modeller and I said No Bryce is a real modeller so what if it can't do somethings some of them can't it can do more than a lot of them cannot and The Best Space Ships I have ever Seen and this includes Science Fiction have been made in Bryce.

Cheers
    Karl

edited December 1969

Hi Karl,

Many true and enthusiastic "Brycers" will tell you that Bryce cannot be seriously used as modeller. They are not exactly wrong because it depends how your mind works. Bryce is a boolean modeller, Wings3D a subdivision one and then there are nurbs modellers. Each one needs a particular frame of mind to master. I'm a bad modeller. But there are very gifted ones. This guy http://www.bryce5.com/search.php?search_user=PiXi is one of them, but there are quite a few others.

edited December 1969

Hi Horo

Thanks For the Link Very interesting I love the train in perticular. I think you must be a good Brycer you know a lot about it and your passionate about it I can tell by the way you talk about Bryce When I Started it took a long time to get anywhere but thanks to a lot of Brycers and regular artist out there I have gotten a bit better I am by no means a Great Brycer But I like to think I am not too bad.

Thank you for your help

Karl

• home_5586b6e23bhome_5586b6e23b Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Hi Sgt Peppa,

I do not know if this is helpful for you, but I had the same problem with Bryce 7.1 running very slow (intel C2Q9550, 8 GB, nVidia 560Ti, Win7 Prof x64). I have a dual screen configuration with Display Fusion 4.01. This tool offers additional buttons for moving windows and much more. And that was the problem: Display Fusion and Bryce had some kind of interference when running at the same time. Since I did put bryce.exe on the exclusion list for Display Fusion everything is fine and speed is back.

Regards,

Joerg

• jimjabbojimjabbo Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Hi....until today I had never heard of LAA...that being said I have been using Bryce 4...5...6...6.5..and now 7 since 2001..on a variety of pc platforms..Pentium II Celeron 300A...through to today with an i7 4700MQ with 16 gig of DDR3 1.6 GHz ram and a 2 gig Nvidia card...angry because I cannot have more than one character imported from Daz 3D Studio Pro...into Bryce 7 without the Out Of Memory crash...so I need a specific version of .NET on my computer..how do I find out which version I have?..I have already downloaded LAA_2_0_4.zip...

cheers...Jimjabbo.