Genesis missing Daz Studio Pro 4.5

WinthrodWinthrod Posts: 66
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I just downloaded and installed the new Daz Studio Pro 4.5.

When I go into people (Default > People), the Genesis and Genesis Starter Essentials icons are blank DAZ logos. If I try to click and load the Genesis character Studio tells me:

Could not open file: C:/[mycontentfolder]/People/Genesis/Genesis.dsf
File does not exist.

In that folder there is a Genesis.duf but not .dsf. Is this the new figure file extension?

Additionally, I'm missing a bunch of other files for Genesis, that I had in 4.0, like the Natural Grey.dsa and a number of poses for both the male and female.

I've attached a screen shot showing the empty icons.

Anyone else having this issue?

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    edited December 1969

Did you install the 14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.3_trx.exe too? That is how the Genesis content gets installed, not with the main DAZ Studio installer for 4.5.

• edited December 1969

Yes... I have the same problem, same message .... and also if you look under smart content it says that the meta data web address is missing...

yes I installed the essentials... then reset my downloads and re-installed still no luck... thoughts, advice?

• WinthrodWinthrod Posts: 66
    edited December 1969

I have discovered that the .duf is the new Genesis/actor file ext.

If you go into either 'Dragon Slayer' or 'Fiery Genesis' you will see Standard Male or Standard Female Genesis figures and you can use one of those. Additionally if you go to Content Library > Default > People there will be the Genesis.duf figure.

• edited August 2012

Ok, I have found everything... sort of... the genesis actor figure and all of the poses, environment lights are under the essentials box... even though it has a triangle with an ! it still has the useable files...

furthermore if you go into the posing tab it will have both the bad icons and the good icons...

everything is fine in the content library...

also I seem to be missing some smart content stuff like sets and scenes... I don't have a smart content for say alchemy chasm... streets of Asia... this earns too dumb to live points.... I was looking in the wrong place... sigh... too tired... going to bed now before I prove to be even more of an idiot.

I may just start using my content library as smart content doesn't seem very reliable and most of my rendo stuff doesn't have meta data anyway...

Post edited by sidhesama_f28f2e91d9 on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

stop cms and run cms again,

then did you try to reset database and re-import meta-data?

you can refresh your database and correct new file path.

from content library option menu>content DB meintenance.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited August 2012

stop cms and run cms again,

then did you try to reset database and re-import meta-data?

you can refresh your database and correct new file path.

from content library option menu>content DB meintenance.

Exaclty good advice.

Resetiing Database and Re-Importing Metadata commands can be found by going in to the Options Dialouge in the Content Library Pane (NOT SMART CONTENT PANE) as shown below.

contenttab2.jpg
    301 x 219 - 78K
    Content_ManagerA.jpg
    647 x 1018 - 202K
    Post edited by Szark on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited August 2012

and genesis starter essencial not have icon for products I think. (it was misunderstandig,, sorry)

it seems strange, but it need not. in ds 4 "built in contents" has not icon for the products too.
    if you want icon for starter essencial , you can make it .

thanks Szark ;-) (I m not man just complain alltimes )

=======================

NO!!!! sorry men,,,

now I check runtime>support> there is jpeg img for "starter essencial" products,,

so why this icon can not shown? I am now check meta-data for programs, it seems not any problems,,

can you see the icon for "starter kit" products pane in smart content view?

I tryed some things, so what is good to correct it I can not define.

1 I copy file name from dsx , (if missed file names , icon can not shown),
    DAZ_3D_14812_Genesis_Starter_Essentials.jpg

2 I change option of content DB editor, un check "auto fill" option .

3 I reimport meta -data again.

now I can see the icon of genesis starter essentials.
    =========================================

sorry, this seems multi post but I think it iis important to report how to correct it
    in this topic too.

I tryed change db setting, and now i can get buck no image products ^^;
    so I correct it again.

1.go content library , then products> G > Genesis startar essentials

2. from content library option, open content DB editor.
    then product pane, (not Assets) , see support, check off the “Auto Fill”
    then check path ”/Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_14812_Genesis_Starter_Essentials.dsx”
    if it is wrong , you need to locate the path, by click right button .

3 must click “accept”

4 “refresh” on smart content pane.

if you can not find the product icon still,

content libarry option, open content DB meintenance again
    and import the meta data of “genesis essential “

I think db “auto fill” option has problem.

dbeditor.JPG
    707 x 590 - 71K
    Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • evie_mjevie_mj Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

I also have same problem. But I couldn't correct it. Please help! I need more details!!!

• edited December 2012

Is this the way 'upgrades' are going to go for this product? I have a fairly large collection of paid content, and I have NO IDEA where it has gone now.

I get the whole 'razors and blades' strategy, but how about this deal: I'm willing to PAY for the base product if you can make upgrading actually run smoothly. I have no idea what most of this new functionality is supposed to do for MY benefit - all I know is that in 4.0 I can see my content, but 4.5 doesn't even open without being unable to find Genesis.

Back to 4.0 I guess...you get what you pay for.

Oops!!! Boy was I wrong...the installation of 4.5 has apparently disabled/botched the paths to 4.0...BRILLIANT DAZ! The mark of excellence is upon you.

Can someone tell me how to get 4.0 working again, or how to get a refund for all the content I can no longer use.....?

Post edited by phloog_91ce6e3932 on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Did you install Genesis Starter Essentials? The content is now a separate installer from the application.

• edited December 1969

Did you install Genesis Starter Essentials? The content is now a separate installer from the application.

Yes..something is corrupt somewhere. No time to mess with it right now. I tend to use a different product for a lot of character stuff in large part due to some of the inherent flakiness that Daz seems to have. If I get a chance to play this weekend I'll give it a shot, otherwise I'll see what DS 5.0 has for me down the road...won't help their current business model much, though.

• More2burnMore2burn Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I just downloaded and installed 4.5 and now there is no content. Not even Genesis. Tried pointing/changing content to other directories and reinstalling over and over but nothing is working as of yet. I really hate to have to redo my O.S. to get this going. I'd be worried that it wouldn't fix anyway. I'm guessing this is an issue with the content management again because I've had issues with that b4. Cant remember the details because I stopped using DAZ for a while.

It reminds me of anti virus software that wont uninstall correctly and you need to use a registry cleaner (made by the company) to get things right again. I think this is what DAZ needs to make for us to fix these issues. If you research what the CMS does... if I remember right... this makes sense.

Please help us fix this.

I love new features as much as the next person but just wait a sec. If you want to track what everyone is installing and prevent piracy as you should... why not make the system install the content from the server and auto update the meta data as well? This would fix the main reason people get annoyed with DAZ studio. There are other ways to do this too but I think something like this should be the next feature and would be the most welcome. Get all the content to work... always. Make it so it can never break again? There is always some issue with content. I like the new smart features so maybe just take it a step farther. I'm still a huge fan of DAZ and think its a great company. I cant wait to be able to use Studio again.

Thanks

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

More2burn said:
    I just downloaded and installed 4.5 and now there is no content. Not even Genesis. Tried pointing/changing content to other directories and reinstalling over and over but nothing is working as of yet. I really hate to have to redo my O.S. to get this going. I'd be worried that it wouldn't fix anyway. I'm guessing this is an issue with the content management again because I've had issues with that b4. Cant remember the details because I stopped using DAZ for a while.

It reminds me of anti virus software that wont uninstall correctly and you need to use a registry cleaner (made by the company) to get things right again. I think this is what DAZ needs to make for us to fix these issues. If you research what the CMS does... if I remember right... this makes sense.

Please help us fix this.

I love new features as much as the next person but just wait a sec. If you want to track what everyone is installing and prevent piracy as you should... why not make the system install the content from the server and auto update the meta data as well? This would fix the main reason people get annoyed with DAZ studio. There are other ways to do this too but I think something like this should be the next feature and would be the most welcome. Get all the content to work... always. Make it so it can never break again? There is always some issue with content. I like the new smart features so maybe just take it a step farther. I'm still a huge fan of DAZ and think its a great company. I cant wait to be able to use Studio again.

Thanks

Did you install the Genesis Essentials? Genesis and content is in there. The Daz 4.5 installer only installs the application.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Yes the content has been in separate download for a while now...it should be in your account.

edited December 2012

Yes I did install this as with the others in the post. I was building on what others had already said so I didn't mention it., though I should have to be clear. So yes I know and I did.

After my first post I installed a fresh copy on a fresh install of windows 7 64bit and It was fine at first. Then I started installing all my other content. (a pain to do as windows always asks to install using recommended settings and the process is tedious anyway.) So, it ended up breaking itself again and so I uninstalled it and installed 4.0 and decided NOT to install any content at all. I will not be using Daz studio with any content until they enable smart features for all the old content in an easy manner and also work out all the bugs. If they could focus on this and fix the content system in a way to where everything is in a obvious place rather than all over the place, then many more people would use it and buy content. I know this will happen at some point. Hope its soon. :)

Post edited by More2burn on
    edited December 1969

Wanted to make it clear that Genesis seemed to install ok before the problems started.... if that helps.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

More2burn said:
    After my first post I installed a fresh copy on a fresh install of windows 7 64bit and It was fine at first. Then I started installing all my other content. (a pain to do as windows always asks to install using recommended settings and the process is tedious anyway.) So, it ended up breaking itself again

That sounds like something you are installing is giving you nested content directories...something that's fairly easy to fix. You move the stuff in the nested folders up and remove the nesting...

Say you end up with a Content>Runtime>content>runtime>runtime structure. You would move the bottom most runtime up and merge it with the first Runtime....

• DurirDurir Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I know that this posted has not been used for a few weeks, but I wanted to inform people in case they have this problem like I did. Because I am still new to this software and how it works, I was playing around and well to cut a long story short I had to reinstall all of my software again. Like what other people have said here, Genesis worked ok at the start, but after installing all of my other bits, it stopped working! It could not find the Genesis.dsf file when I started up the program. The way that I got it working again was to finish installing all of my other stuff in to DAZ, and then I went back and reinstalled Genesis Starter Essentials again. This work for me. I got everything working as normal again. There must be a file that I have that over writes genesis or something, and knocks it out. By doing what I have said, everything worked again.

I hope that this helps someone out.

edited December 1969

I wanted to give Daz 4.5 another try so I Installed it along with the new Daz Install Manager ( Did you start working on this before or after my suggestion? Just curious.) The new service seems good but my content still isn't showing up in Daz studio. These are the steps I took.

Installed Daz Studio
    Installed "Install Manager"
    Installed some content that includes the Genesis Starter Kit.
    Opened DS and saw no content
    Went to Install Manager to poke around and found a place to set DS as one of the applications or something.
    Checked again and nothing changed. Followed the Tut inside DS though it doesn't look the same without any content in there.
    Did little else because I had already went to another computer before and also reinstalled my OS before so I don't feel like doing much else. Anyone know what's up with this?

Other things that I did but not sure "in what order."

Had to google to find the User agreement and click accept.
    Signed up with a name and email through DS

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The default install location in Install Manager is not the same as the one currently used by DS. In DS, go to Edit >Preferences>Content Library > Content Directory Manager and add "C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library" under "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats" (you can remove the default location that's there now).

(That's the location under Windows 7 or Vista, it'll be a bit different on another OS).

edited December 1969

Thanks for the response. I changed the path and got SOME things. Genesis wasn't one of them so I just downloaded the installer the old fashioned way and tried that method and made sure the path was the same but this didn't work either. Genesis still isn't there :(

• hOsshOss Posts: 24
    edited March 2013

More2burn said:
    Thanks for the response. I changed the path and got SOME things. Genesis wasn't one of them so I just downloaded the installer the old fashioned way and tried that method and made sure the path was the same but this didn't work either. Genesis still isn't there :(

I had the same issue. Here's how I fixed it:

Change the default path of the DIM installer, which it seems you've already done.

Next, change to the Content Tab in DS, bring up its menu and. Select DB Maintenance. Check Reset Database.

Once you do that, bring up the DB Maintenance menu again, and select every other option EXCEPT Reset Database

Finally, go into the DS Preferences, select the Startup Tab, and uncheck Load Default Scene. Older versions of DS had this checked by default and it would load a blank Genesis figure, this scene/.dsf file is no longer there in DS 4.5, but the Preference is a carry over from earlier versions.

Restart DS.

You may have to go thru the DB Maintenance process a second time to straighten it all out, but this finally fixed everything for me.

Also, I assume you have DIM managing your installs now and have already gone thru the process of uninstalling your previous content using the uninstallers in the Uninstallers folder in your My Library folder before re-installing your content using the DIM.

-Patrick

Post edited by hOss on
    edited March 2013

@hOss6969 I did as you said and at first I regretted it because all the content was gone even after several tries. Then, after a reinstall of just the Genesis content only some of it loaded up but nothing else would. The good news is that once I modified your process and unchecked the two options under the "Content Database Maintenance" tab that start with the word Remove, I think I got it to work. So thanks to fixmypcmike and hOss6969 for leading me to a DS that can load content.

P.S. I'm loving the new Install manager now that things are working :) I'm glad I thought of it? or no? lol. Either way it's kool.

Post edited by More2burn on
  • hOsshOss Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

Glad I could help. I remember that I had to run the DB Maintenance part several times, with different combinations of options checked and unchecked, but in the end, it finally seemed to straighten itself out, so trying different combinations may fix it all the way for you.:)

-Patrick

• leonhardrochaleonhardrocha Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

I had the same problem and fixed just going to the preferences in FIle menu and putting the correct content path in the Content Tab. I had a previous installation with a different path that remained in this new installation using the default paths.