UNOFFICIAL Houston, we have a hair salon!!!! thread

2»

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    M F M said:
    There are some minor "teething pains"... but the effort is going to be worth it, I think (^_^)d.

(for me, the installation went okay, it's just that 3Delight + Studio are crashing instantly when I go to render a hairy object... Signor Alessandro is working with me right now to track the root cause...).

I think I'm in the same boat with you. I get Error with Render and then a Spinning busy pointer.

I don't know if this has been already worked out, but don't close LAMH or the render will crash. Also this limitation is being worked out, so that in the future, if you like you can close the plugin.Yes I'm up and running Fine now. I've played with some Presets and have now struck off on my own. I learn more every time I use it.

• Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited December 2012

ok may as well post this here, I did a few density maps while testing and they can be a great starting point especially when used with seperate shave groups so you can seperate the hair,beard and mustache so you can give them seprate settings such as hair thickness and add different effects using the tools within LAMH.

Feel free to edit the density maps to create your own, I posted a small video in the official thread if its lost in the pages ill repost in this ill edit it.

Hope they help you guys, this is a real great plugin and not too hard to get good things coming out the more you mess around.. :)

Steve.

***EDIT*** just to add when you load Genesis into studio goto the surfaces tab and change the UV to M4's as I made the desity map for that UV or you might have a Mustache coming out of his mouth...lol

you can change it to any UV after you export to studio its just so LAMH loads in the M4 UV's to place the density maps in the right place.

Here is the video showing you how to setup your density maps.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90b0oOAc2zw

LAMHhair_Beard.jpg
    922 x 956 - 262K
    DensityHairBeardHEAD.jpg
    512 x 512 - 13K
    NewBeardHairFACE.jpg
    512 x 512 - 150K
    Post edited by Sal UK on
  • HarvellHarvell Posts: 37
    edited December 2012

My cat, Bob. He looks cold...
    Reality render, 75/50 OBJ hair. should probably use a smaller tip width, but the root width is great for the "wet cat" look.
    (edited for details)

Bob.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by Harvell on
  • Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

Sal UK said:
    ok may as well post this here, I did a few density maps while testing and they can be a great starting point especially when used with seperate shave groups so you can seperate the hair,beard and mustache so you can give them seprate settings such as hair thickness and add different effects using the tools within LAMH.

Feel free to edit the density maps to create your own, I posted a small video in the official thread if its lost in the pages ill repost in this ill edit it.

Hope they help you guys, this is a real great plugin and not too hard to get good things coming out the more you mess around.. :)

Steve.

***EDIT*** just to add when you load Genesis into studio goto the surfaces tab and change the UV to M4's as I made the desity map for that UV or you might have a Mustache coming out of his mouth...lol

you can change it to any UV after you export to studio its just so LAMH loads in the M4 UV's to place the density maps in the right place.

Cool model you styled there Steve. I can't wait to see it rendered :)
    And in case you'd like to share it, be my guest :)

edited December 2012

Harvell said:
    Reality render, 75/50 OBJ hair. should probably use a smaller tip width, but the root width is great for the "wet cat" look.
    (edited for details)

Fantastic render Harvell: yes, probably a tip width a little smaller would help to have sharper hair, but it's already excellent as it is.
    How big is your .obj file? Did you render in Studio or Reality?

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Harvell said:
    (edited for details)

Naw, that cat is cute :) Looks great!

• HarvellHarvell Posts: 37
    edited December 1969

Harvell said:
    (edited for details)

Fantastic render Harvell: yes, probably a tip width a little smaller would help to have sharper hair, but it's already excellent as it is.
    How big is your .obj file? Did you render in Studio or Reality?
    Didn't check the .obj size. It's a Reality render.
    One note: Reality doesn't like the LAMH texture file JPGs, but accepts them if you rename them in a graphics editor.

• Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited December 1969

Sal UK said:

Steve.

Cool model you styled there Steve. I can't wait to see it rendered :)
    And in case you'd like to share it, be my guest :)

Hi alex
    Thanks mate didnt get to render it something killed my computer Grrr everytime I booted up I would get the blue screen of death, Tried restoring to an earlier restore point it failed to do so. But I have got it working again now so I will just re-do it again glad I keep posting my Density maps saves me losing them.

Steve.

• JUJUJUJU Posts: 1,120
    edited December 1969

Hi,
    is my first day with LAMH and I have tried the preset "crispy hair " but it doesn't look rendered like in the Promo...
    What could be my mistake?
    Any ideas?

PresetCrazyHairTest01.png
    658 x 862 - 496K
    edited December 1969

Juju said:
    Hi,
    is my first day with LAMH and I have tried the preset "crispy hair " but it doesn't look rendered like in the Promo...
    What could be my mistake?
    Any ideas?

Hi Juju, unfortunately I saved the preset with only 6000 hair. When you export hair to Studio, at hair quantity please enter 120,000 hair and press enter, export the hair and that will produce the proper hair cover (see attached image).
    I suggest using a UE2 light and playing a bit with the the LAMH surface shader in order to get the look you desire.

Also, check page 31 of the manual ( if you don't have it, here it comes: http://www.furrythings.com/LAMH.Manual.1.0.pdf ), the "Rendering in Studio" section will explain optimal settings for 3Delight renderer and lights.
    If you need further info, please ask.

export_options.jpg
    741 x 665 - 131K
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,490
    edited December 1969

Not just that, but when you are in the LAMH main window, make sure the hair density slider has been moved all the way over to the RIGHT so you will have nice hair density. :)

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    I can grow fuzz on a ball..

I've been doing that for years.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,133
    edited December 1969

Had my first chance to play with LAMH properly today and thought I'd share what I'd done.

Starting with the free presets:
    First image is the DAZ Mil Big Cat with the medium fur preset, slightly tweaked by me. Basic light setup (just distant light with ray-traced shadows and simple fill lights)

Next, using Tina Turnover LAMH preset, tweaked with colour from Denver Hair textures (black at root and red at tip) on a Genesis figure with V4 Elite Marie skin texture (lighter version). The second image just uses the DAZ default "camera light" (Render time: 1 min 40 sec)
    The third image uses the same basic light setup (distant light and fill lights) as the Big Cat (Render time: 18 min 06 sec). I don't like the way her eyes turned out with these lights (they look pretty dead to me), but as it was the hair I was testing I didn't bother trying to improve them. Absolutely no change to the hair, materials or pose between the two renders - just shows what a difference lighting will make - there seems to be much more detail in the second one.

Finally my first attempt at building some hair myself - I don't have the confidence yet to try a longer hair, so went for a male style. Just a simple render with DAZ default "camera light". I know I haven't got the bit round the ears right yet and the density map for the moustache isn't very good, but I wasd pretty pleased for a first attempt. (Actually it was a second attempt, as I managed to crash LAMH/DAZ first time before I could save anything.)

Any comments and suggestions for improvement welcomed :)
    But thanks so much for this product - lots of fun!

ML-Male-Hair-01.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 445K
    LAMH-Tina-Turnover-2.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 421K
    LAMH-Tina-Turnover-1.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 451K
    LAMH-Big-Cat-1.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 475K
    edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    Had my first chance to play with LAMH properly today and thought I'd share what I'd done.

Starting with the free presets:
    First image is the DAZ Mil Big Cat with the medium fur preset, slightly tweaked by me. Basic light setup (just distant light with ray-traced shadows and simple fill lights)

Next, using Tina Turnover LAMH preset, tweaked with colour from Denver Hair textures (black at root and red at tip) on a Genesis figure with V4 Elite Marie skin texture (lighter version). The second image just uses the DAZ default "camera light" (Render time: 1 min 40 sec)
    The third image uses the same basic light setup (distant light and fill lights) as the Big Cat (Render time: 18 min 06 sec). I don't like the way her eyes turned out with these lights (they look pretty dead to me), but as it was the hair I was testing I didn't bother trying to improve them. Absolutely no change to the hair, materials or pose between the two renders - just shows what a difference lighting will make - there seems to be much more detail in the second one.

Finally my first attempt at building some hair myself - I don't have the confidence yet to try a longer hair, so went for a male style. Just a simple render with DAZ default "camera light". I know I haven't got the bit round the ears right yet and the density map for the moustache isn't very good, but I wasd pretty pleased for a first attempt. (Actually it was a second attempt, as I managed to crash LAMH/DAZ first time before I could save anything.)

Any comments and suggestions for improvement welcomed :)
    But thanks so much for this product - lots of fun!

Hi Melanie, first of all thanks for sharing your renders, they all look great.
    I'd probably try to couple a UE2 light or a Lantios Light with Shading Rate = 0.1, so that hair strands would be more visible. Also, if you enable hair preview you might want to add a little of "random length" to the hair: especially on short hair, that will give a more "diversfied" and irregular pattern look.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,133
    edited December 1969

Thanks - I don't often try UE2 (takes so long!) but I'll give it a try. Also the random length.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,794
    edited March 2013

I have to go to work buy LAMH deactivated itsself on me
    and following the steps I used in my first post I cannot get it working
    just get that runtime crash error
    this has me bewildered
    will ask more tomorrow in official thread and Alessandro's site

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,794
    edited December 1969

OK , after receiving a PM from Kendall I yanked my wifi dongle out and it works
    I need my wifi so only a short term solution
    have enough issues with loose dongles and usb holes asking is it in yet?
    I have had LOTS of issues with my OTHER 3G broadband dongle which is why I got this one to use my android as a modem

• Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited April 2013

Thanks for opening this thread too :)

Please let me add an activation instruction screenshot that should help clearing the confusion:

Can you PLEASE add the screenshot from your post near the beginning of the thread to the Manual?? I had to dig up this post to remember exactly how to activate. :) Luckily I hhad read it before. This is really a lot clearer than the PDF. :)

Thanks!!

Post edited by Digital Lite Design on