Are people still interested in the Toon Generation by 3DUniverse or do you prefer other toon figures

ba_aca2a9241dba_aca2a9241d Posts: 55
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm almost done with my current modeling projects for the ToonGen, one more set of clothing and that's it. I really like to work with the ToonGen, it's a great figure, but I'm wondering if there is still interest in this figure, do people still use it and want new stuff for it?

Since 3DUniverse closed it's forum, it's hard to get feedback from users and reach them easily, that's why I'm posting this here (and at other places perhaps as well).

I've still got some ideas for content for the ToonGen, but I'm also considering creating things for other toon figures. I know Genesis is quite popular these days, I don't use it myself, but see that it has toon figures as well. So, the big question is should I continue with creating clothes and other content for the ToonGen, or pursue something else instead? If you stil use ToonGen and are interested in new content, now is the time to let me know :-) and of course...... suggestions are welcome, not saying they will be granted definitely, but I'm open to it.

Comments

• IVSMAIVSMA Posts: 58
    edited December 2012

I love the Toon Gen & do wish there was more for them.
    I do have a small collection of your stuff and plan to buy the rest of your Toon Gen items.
    That being said, Genesis is great and if there were to be a Toon Gen Genesis in the future (if that's possible?) that would also be great.

;-) :-)

Post edited by IVSMA on
  • digitelldigitell Posts: 558
    edited December 1969

I would love to see more of your cute animals such as the squirrel!

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

I like the Toon Generation... but a lot of the recent releases for it were very genre related, such as baseball or armor, which is pretty limited depending on what you need... i like more versatile things :)

• andolaurinaandolaurina Posts: 667
    edited December 1969

I love Toon Generations. I've bought lots of things and used them for commercial illustration projects. I would be happy to buy more. To belovedalia's point, they need to not be too obscure genre specific. Things like prince and princess are so generic that outfits like that could be used in a variety of settings. Military uniforms and sports uniforms have limited application. I would love to see more pretty dresses for Toon Generations.

Well, most of all, I would love to see Toon Generations converted to Genesis, if that's possible.

edited December 1969

(I use Toon Generations more than anything else for illustration purposes...even the other 3DU figures)

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

Well, most of all, I would love to see Toon Generations converted to Genesis, if that's possible.

I second this!

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

I absolutely adore working with the ToonGeneration. Please, I need more. It's such a versatile set of figures.

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

I second this!
    Thirded or fourthed or whatever we're on....

• MJ007MJ007 Posts: 1,679
    edited December 1969

I prefer other toon figures. ToonGen is too stylized for my taste, but i can understand why folks love em and im not into Genesis toons either. Im still partial to the earlier toon figures: HiroToon, AikoToon, (which would still work for Genesis if they used the Hiro Legacy Shapes i believe), Sadie, Sam, Dennis, etc., etc., etc.

It would be nice to hear what you had in mind, and for what toon figures you had these ideas in mind for.

-MJ

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

I love the Toon generations figures and use them heavily. When ever I see a new Toon Generations product at DAZ it goes into my cart right away.

They work great in Carrara too.

• Dr StupidDr Stupid Posts: 313
    edited December 1969

Another fan here, and I've also used the figures in commercial projects, so the figures and clothes/accessories have proved to be one of the best investments I've made at Daz (although looking at the thousands of items in my library I'm a long way from breaking even yet!) So please keep supporing the 3DU range. :)

• ShaneWSmithShaneWSmith Posts: 636
    edited December 1969

I'd be keen for more Toon Generations. I bought the Mega Bundle a few days ago, and am currently scoping a new book project that could well use them if they do everything I need them to do!

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

Totally vertical rounded eyes and extreme nose in genesis would be fantastic, toon rounded eyes in genesis only are horizontal and nose are little. Also some toon type clothes (simple, rounded, cute) for genesis and lots of toon hair too.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,757
    edited December 1969

IVSMA said:
    That being said, Genesis is great and if there were to be a Toon Gen Genesis in the future (if that's possible?) that would also be great.

Add yet another to the list of those who'd like a Genesis version. My big issue with the Toon Generations as they are is that they're too locked into a single style. Being able to dial in just a touch of other characters would give each project a lot more individuality...

• ba_aca2a9241dba_aca2a9241d Posts: 55
    edited December 2012

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies, gives me an idea that there are still some ToonGen users, but it seems there are more people wanting a new figure, at least that's what it starting to look like, so........

One little request..... don't turn this into an I want ToonGen for Genesis, that doesn't help me at all at the moment and I'm no the person who's going to do that anyway. I only create content for figures, not the actual figures. Let me know if you use them or not, that way I can see how well they're still supported and if I can spent much more time creating content for the ToonGen.

As for my ideas for ToonGen. At the moment I'm rounding up the City of Light and Darkness theme, I'm going to release one more set, a tunic set. Then there are a few other ideas I do have...... I mostly work in themes, easier for me to do and a lot of people seem to like it if I create a whole little world around a theme.

One thing I'm going to work on are some regular day to day clothes. I'm still working on a dress, but for now I failed in my efforts. The reason there have been no long dresses released is because it's tricky to create. I need to build in a lot of morphs or handles to make it work. A short dress doesn't need all of that, but a long dress needs moprhs or handles for sittling walking, kneeling, bending and so on. I give it my best, but I don't promise anything.

So, if you still want to tag along and let me know if you still use the Toon Generation and like to see more content for them, let me know!

MJ007 said:
    It would be nice to hear what you had in mind, and for what toon figures you had these ideas in mind for.

Don't have any other toon figure in mind yet, I'm testing the waters. If there is quite some demand for the ToonGen still then I'll going to work with that figure first, I really do like them and hardly anyone supports them. I don't know about the older figures sold here at DAZ, not sure if it's worth investing a lot of time in, knowing that they have modern counterparts. The things is I've got no idea which toon figure is popular or not. I can create all I want for a figure, but if hardly anyone is buying it, then I spent countless hours with nothing in return. In that same time, I could have created something for a toon figure that people use. That's why I'm trying to gather some data and see what is my best option.

Post edited by ba_aca2a9241d on
  • david_71ef4b1fbcdavid_71ef4b1fbc Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

"One thing I’m going to work on are some regular day to day clothes..."

Yes please!

• MJ007MJ007 Posts: 1,679
    edited December 1969

3D Toons said:
    Don't have any other toon figure in mind yet, I'm testing the waters. If there is quite some demand for the ToonGen still then I'll going to work with that figure first, I really do like them and hardly anyone supports them. I don't know about the older figures sold here at DAZ, not sure if it's worth investing a lot of time in, knowing that they have modern counterparts. The things is I've got no idea which toon figure is popular or not. I can create all I want for a figure, but if hardly anyone is buying it, then I spent countless hours with nothing in return. In that same time, I could have created something for a toon figure that people use. That's why I'm trying to gather some data and see what is my best option.

Understood. It will be interesting to see what your data collection turns up. But if the ToonGens is what you like, that sounds like a great place to start. Good Luck with your project.

-MJ

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

I currently tend to use Genesis toons only...specifically I love Sam and Sadie for Genesis, anything by smay or 3D universe is likely to take my interest...

• warmbloodwarmblood Posts: 74
    edited December 2012

I use both toongen and the newer genesis toon figures. I'd love to see more goodies for toongen. I've tweaked some of the clothing and items that exist in "creative" ways. It would nice to be able to use these quickly instead of having to manufacture them from bits and pieces. So a little sailor dress and a sundress (short would be okay) would be nice. Also some shoes for the ladies.

Below are two from the old forum: "In an old house in Paris" and "Cold Feet". If you're interested in seeing some of the other stuff I've "made", I'd be glad to send you some of them. I just don't want to hijack your thread.

EDIT: Last week I wanted to make a nativity scene using toongen figures, so it would have been great to have some robes. I know you said long dress would be hard, but just saying... I guess I could have used my cobbled-together nun's outfit, but it is a major pain to make any kind of pose with it.

image_1_2891833.jpg
    600 x 450 - 34K
    origimage_1_2861584.jpg
    1000 x 1259 - 412K
    Post edited by warmblood on
  • BabsDoProdBabsDoProd Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

I got into DAZ Studio for Genesis specifically but I've always been curious about the Toon characters for possible cartoony projects I've thought about. Having said that, I wouldn't mind more Toon characters, props, and costumes but I would love to have a sub-section of Genesis Toon figures to dive into and experiment with.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,278
    edited December 1969

How about Chris Schell's newest free model Anime Girl, she has almost nothing in the way of clothes and footwear and maybe more hair choices?

edited December 1969

CalieVee, where's that available for download? Must have missed it.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,278
    edited December 1969

You can read all about it and the download links here...

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3237/

edited December 1969

awesome - thanks CV!! :)

• MardookMardook Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

I don't have any of your figures yet but they are on my list of things I want. I will be purchasing them once I have recovered from the Christmas insanity. Sometime next year I will be looking into the big bundles. The figures themselves are are cute, funny and would be great actors for comedic comics. When I do purchase them, I will do a follow-up on what I would like to see from the series but it looks pretty vast... so I'll be diggin through that first. :D

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

I have to confess I've shifted a lot of my focus onto Genesis as it's more universal. Having the freedom to clothe them in any Genesis outfit I own almost makes me feel caged when using older figures. That said, should 3DU create a Toon Generation for Genesis, I'd probably snap it up in a heartbeat along with any of the older outfits.

3D Universe have a good history of support for their popular characters.

• That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited December 1969

I know this thread has been quiet for a year, but...

I would love to see more Toon Gen stuff and I agree with a comment above that the stuff needs to be a little more general.

I have no idea how to make my own clothes for these characters yet (I have the Developer Kit and Carrara and will get to it some day) and would really like to put my characters in a winter scene.

coat
    sweater
    gloves
    scarf

ski set (poles, skis, goggles)

snowman

edited December 1969

I still would like to see more Toon Gen stuff, too, assuming the prices aren't too high.

• RobbyBobbyRobbyBobby Posts: 325
    edited December 1969

For those of you that want Toon Generations and Gensis...there's always the Frankenstein methodology. I hid everything but the TG Head and then parented it to the hidden Genesis head. I used the Konrad body and voila...TG Genesis:

HunK-Wall.jpg
    900 x 1482 - 541K
  • RobbyBobbyRobbyBobby Posts: 325
    edited December 1969

In case anyone is interested...here are some more Frankensteinn morphs for Toon Generation Heads and Genesis bodies.

Rose_Chafer-Wall.jpg
    900 x 1482 - 893K
    Revenant-Wall.jpg
    900 x 1482 - 699K
    HunK-Wall.jpg
    900 x 1482 - 871K
    Blue_Hawk-Wall.jpg
    900 x 1482 - 880K
    Ariel-Wall.jpg
    900 x 1482 - 890K