Links
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/daz-dimension-lights-1
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/daz-dimension-lights-2

And how long is the intro price?

Post edited by Kerya on

Comments

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

I've got them, not had time to try them out yet - I'll try a couple of quick renders and see how they do

(I better not look at my Bank balance until next year, the stuff I've bought this week went waaaaay beyond my allocated budget - but so much good stuff hit the store!)

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 2012

Would also be interested in more information, especially how well they fare in indoor scenes and how easy they'd be to adjust then (e.g. move, adjust directions etc.).

I got quite a few of DimensionTheory's light sets and appreciate the quality of them and these seem to be at least partially aimed at indoor scenes (also judging from the promo shadows).

Post edited by Renpatsu on
    edited December 1969

Very good fire-and-forget high quality lighting - no excuses with these sets! The examples I'll be posting below took around 9mins each to render, so excellent balance of quality and speed.

Each has an uberenvironment and distant light grouped together, so light rotation is a breeze even for beginners.

The first image shows scene WITHOUT any lights, just so you can get an idea of how lighting changes the look. The name of each image indicates which light set was used (1-20 in set 1, and 21-40 in set 2)

lights_40.jpg
    800 x 800 - 377K
    lights_39.jpg
    800 x 800 - 354K
    lights_02.jpg
    800 x 800 - 443K
    lights_01.jpg
    800 x 800 - 467K
    lights_00_none.jpg
    800 x 800 - 355K
    edited December 2012

Renpatsu said:
    ...these seem to be at least partially aimed at indoor scenes (also judging from the promo shadows).

It would give good ambience through gaps/windows, but the render time will shoot up if the indoor scene is an actual enclosed space (and would also most likely need an extra light or two added to highlight points of interest)... but will be great for "movie set" type scenes where there's no ceiling or walls to block the light.
    Post edited by Jabba on
  • BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the demos, Jabba, they look good.

I was wondering... For images that use a sky dome would that mean the lighting sets increase the render time a lot? Since they are considered enclosed?

Am now wondering if I am better off using a flat surface rather than a skydome for my skies.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited December 1969

I am curious how these lights look with human characters. Some light tend to wash out the skin. The product pictures do not really show enough to let me know how this will look with human characters in the scene, so I have held out-for now.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Couple of quick renders as examples on people. Texture is Bree. Did not fiddle with anything on the skin or light. These are #1 and #12.

light_12_dt.jpg
    300 x 500 - 40K
    light_o1_dt.jpg
    300 x 500 - 47K
  • kloolessklooless Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

I like these lights. This uses #3 with Xiao Wen.

DD_3.jpg
    1024 x 682 - 392K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Thank you, everybody!
    (My wallet isn't that thankful - but so what? *grin*)

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Anyone know how long these are on sale?

• cipher_Xcipher_X Posts: 121
    edited December 1969

Does anyone know if these will work with DS3? The page says "Compatible 3D Software: DAZ Studio 4.5, DAZ Studio" so is the second mention of Daz Studio referring to DS4 or DS3 or both?

edited December 1969

DS4.5 only - they are in DUF format ... Sorry!

• HeatherleeaHeatherleea Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

Yep, very nice light sets and render fairly fast.

• FabeFabe Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Just got the first set and I'm not sure what to think. All my test spot renders come put looking more 'artistic', like old paintings or something.
    Don't know if thats how they are suppose to render like that but I was hoping for more realistic result for my current project . Still it's given me ideas for for some other works.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Fabe_ca said:
    Just got the first set and I'm not sure what to think. All my test spot renders come put looking more 'artistic', like old paintings or something.
    Don't know if thats how they are suppose to render like that but I was hoping for more realistic result for my current project . Still it's given me ideas for for some other works.

Post a screenshot...of maybe a spot render and your advanced render settings.

edited January 2013

mjc1016 said:
    Fabe_ca said:

Post a screenshot...of maybe a spot render and your advanced render settings.

I did a few more spot tests and I think I've been getting more realistic results with these lights the whole time,I've just never seen this level of detail in my renders before.

Post edited by Fabe on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited December 1969

I like these sets so far! Good results and not terribly slow rendering! Here is a picture I rendered with lights in light set 1

image.jpg
    960 x 960 - 192K
    edited December 1969

I found out that with some of them I have to reduce the strength of the Distant light and the Uberenvironment for not blowing out the skin textures - but that is easily done. I like the variety.

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    I found out that with some of them I have to reduce the strength of the Distant light and the Uberenvironment for not blowing out the skin textures - but that is easily done. I like the variety.

I think I might be getting the same results, skin textures seem to look rougher under most of the lights. By how much do you reduce the light strength by to get better results?

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,301
    edited December 1969

Personnally I reduce light sets intensity by quite a bit, often 50% or more, its alot to do with personal taste and the textures and shaders I'm using. Try a bit of trial and error.

edited December 1969

This is what I've been getting when I render with the lights from left to right no lighting. lighting pre render and twhat it looks like after rendering. to me the textures look a bit rough.

lighttest.jpg
    1154 x 408 - 152K
    edited December 1969

Fabe_ca said:
    This is what I've been getting when I render with the lights from left to right no lighting. lighting pre render and twhat it looks like after rendering. to me the textures look a bit rough.

Still waiting for the screenie of the advanced render settings...more than likely, that's where your answer will be found.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Fabe_ca said:

Still waiting for the screenie of the advanced render settings...more than likely, that's where your answer will be found.

Sorry here you go.

rendersettings.jpg
    937 x 811 - 125K
    edited December 1969

Yep...

Change Pixel Filter to Sync; Pixel samples (both X and Y) to 6 or 8 (try 6 to start); Shading Rate to at most 0.5, preferably 0.2.

Render time will increase, but so will the quality level...

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Yep...

Change Pixel Filter to Sync; Pixel samples (both X and Y) to 6 or 8 (try 6 to start); Shading Rate to at most 0.5, preferably 0.2.

Render time will increase, but so will the quality level...

Done,but the lowest shading rate I can set is .10. I'm running a test render now ,it's been 15 minutes already and it's only at 18% but I think I can already see a improvement in render quality .

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

I believe, but don't have separate confirmation, that the shading rate in Uber supercedes that in the render options.

edited December 1969

Well either way,I'm getting a better result now even if it is taking longer. But I guess longer render time will be worth it if I get better looking work.

edited December 1969

According to the documentation on Omnifreaker's site...

Shading Rate This is the shading rate used only for occlusion. Higher number = Lower quality = Faster renders

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,301
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    I believe, but don't have separate confirmation, that the shading rate in Uber supercedes that in the render options.

I don't think it does I find altering the shader rate improves the quality of the renders I usually have mine as low as 0.08 for close ups but have it at 0.1 for test renders, there is an obvious difference.

edited December 1969

Agreed, the advanced render settings are vital to get the best out of the time and effort spent creating a scene.

Normally, you'd set UE light shading rate to 128 for best shadow quality, and shading rate in Render Settings set to a fraction for best over all quality (greater than zero but the smaller the figure, the greater the quality - the trade-off being increase in render time in exchange for higher quality, as mentioned in earlier post).

But the shading rate on the UE light in this product can be set to anything and there'll be no apparent difference (possibly due to use of light maps?); it's all determined by the shading rate in the Render Settings Tab.

The attached image shows the settings I used and the render they produced (Light set 11 used; Distant Light intensity set to 39%).

Capture.JPG
    1916 x 1014 - 184K