Genesis Michael Victoria Combo Bundle disappointment

2»

Comments

• Eric WaltersEric Walters Posts: 233
    edited December 1969

The Torso texture does NOT cover the whole figure. There is a separate texture for that, which did not install with the figure- either 1.4 or 1.5
    at least on the Mac version. Did they put it in the Win version?

Lindsey said:
    Nope! V5 Bree Torso-applies to everything-except the gens. Then Poser2012 Freezes.

Coldrake said:
    Still no textures for the female gens in Poser? I updated to version 1.5- and they are there-but I cannot find a texture-just flat grey.

Try applying the Torso map to the genitals.

Coldrake

The female gens is a separate figure. Select it first, then apply the Bree texture materials preset which should apply the torso texture, just like Coldrake mentioned. There is no "separate" gens texture that I can locate that was installed the new gens installer: 13497_GenesisFemaleGenitalia_1.4_trx.exe. I'll check the old installer and see if there was one in it as mention earlier. I've been rebuilding my content library from scratch and the 1.4 material preset for DS4 only applies the Bree torso map.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,984
    edited December 1969

In DS4.5, when I load the Fem Gens figure and apply the "V5 Genitalia (Bree).dsa" material preset, these are the only textures being loaded, even after I copied FemaleGenitaliaTexture.jpg into "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/MilWom/V5/FemaleGenitaliaTexture.jpg". I can see it referenced in the "V5 Genitalia (Bree).dsa" preset, but it's apparently not being loaded. Regardless, I don't see any problems by not having that particular .jpg file.

Loaded_Fem_Gens_Textures.jpg
    276 x 220 - 61K
    edited December 1969

Hi Lindsey
    There seems to be a larger issue-when I try to apply the Bree material- Poser Freezes. I did manage to manually add the torso texture map-it did not look quite right-then FREEZE. Restart, FREEZE. Time to post a bug report methinks

Thanks!

Lindsey said:
    In DS4.5, when I load the Fem Gens figure and apply the "V5 Genitalia (Bree).dsa" material preset, these are the only textures being loaded, even after I copied FemaleGenitaliaTexture.jpg into "/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/MilWom/V5/FemaleGenitaliaTexture.jpg". I can see it referenced in the "V5 Genitalia (Bree).dsa" preset, but it's apparently not being loaded. Regardless, I don't see any problems by not having that particular .jpg file.

edited December 1969

I downloaded the current DSON Importer for Mac64, reinstalled Gen. And was able to apply a Hip Material I previously saved from V5. Aha!
    Then I tried to render. FREEZE......

Anyone else?

• Starfish42Starfish42 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm not getting the FREEZE problem - may be that's a Mac issue. I've got Windows.

The Tori texture seems to cover the whole genital area. The Bree texture does not. I would post an image, but suspect it isn't permitted.

Edit: have now got Bree to work, but I'm not sure what I did - not sure if this is because I've been changing texture maps.The basic material file definitely does not work. I've experimented with the UV switching files that Mec4D helpfully provided - they may be why Bree now seems to function. Again, this is not part of the Daz files.

It would really, really have helped if we had a read me file with the genitals. Daz, if your hope was to keep the gens off the radar somehow, putting in a read me might well have reduced the number of forum posts dramatically - at least we would have had some confirmation what files we have, and how we are supposed to make them work.

Daz, I'm afraid I've just lost patience with this. Genesis does not work properly in Poser. The genitals aren't the only issue - the forced limits and scaling are also big concerns. I've also noticed with surprise that some morphs don't exist for Genesis that are present for V4 and M4 - "Old" for the face is one I use regularly, but Genesis apparently cannot be old.

Even the "mix and match" morphs which are one of the big selling points for Genesis don't seem to work as well as I would hope. I attempted to use the "three fingered" morph from the creatures pack on the Genesis troll to create something nearer to the original, for which I have a soft spot, but it doesn't work - just shortening the middle two fingers a little isn't right. Again, I don't know if this works better in Daz Studio. Is this another problem with the forced limits?

Until these issues are fixed, and you tell us they are fixed (sorry, but I haven't got enough spare time to spend hours trawling through forum posts to try to find out what is going on), I'm not spending more money, time or effort on Genesis. I spent enough (nearly $200) to do a fair test with Genesis in Poser - currently, I am not impressed. It seems to me that I can do anything in Poser with V4 and M4 that I could do with Genesis, without the problems with which Genesis seems to be beset.

edited November 2012

Glad it's not freezing on you Starfish42. For me it's the completeness issue. In truth my renders are all clothed-but I have a knee jerk-anti censoring reaction- and having to buy a morph pack to get nipples-which we all have (not just Janet Jackson) is just silly.

For the female at least- I find the morphs in Genesis Body Morph Kit 1 look more natural. I don't have M5 currently.
    As far as the gens- I suspect it is most likely an issue with Mac and Geografting-which is a larger issue.
    No Aged Morph for Genesis? Surprising. Maybe it is part of a morph pack that has not been DSON'd and Companion filed?

EDIT: I still don't get why some arm motion controls are under Body, Toso, Pose Contols-and bend, twist, etc is under the actual arm part
    Same for morphs- all under Body (even for face or head).
    I do get your point about V4 or M4. For V4 I use V4-WM which bends quite naturally-unlike V4. I have yet to try any Genesis male characters- particularly since I have a vast number of Celebrity characters for M4- all the way from Mr. Spock- to Jason Stratham.
    For V4- I have a vast array as well-including my own Zbrush morphs. So far I seem focused on making Cutesy Elf characters with Genesis-which is odd since I had little of that with V4. :-)
    Oh! Exception- Mec4D's AMAZING (Genesis) Neanderthal- with fiber mesh beard and hair. Terrific!! Again- to get a female Neanderthal I used Mec4D (AGAIN) UV switcher to allow use of V4 textures, and blended/softened V5 into the Neanderthal.
    Not sure about scaling issues-or forced limits.
    I SUSPECT there MAY be a way to turn off the limits. I'd ask at RuntimeDNA and see if anyone knows. It may require Cr2 editing. For which I've used a text editor in the past.

I'm not getting the FREEZE problem - may be that's a Mac issue. I've got Windows.

The Tori texture seems to cover the whole genital area. The Bree texture does not. I would post an image, but suspect it isn't permitted.

Edit: have now got Bree to work, but I'm not sure what I did - not sure if this is because I've been changing texture maps.The basic material file definitely does not work. I've experimented with the UV switching files that Mec4D helpfully provided - they may be why Bree now seems to function. Again, this is not part of the Daz files.

It would really, really have helped if we had a read me file with the genitals. Daz, if your hope was to keep the gens off the radar somehow, putting in a read me might well have reduced the number of forum posts dramatically - at least we would have had some confirmation what files we have, and how we are supposed to make them work.

Daz, I'm afraid I've just lost patience with this. Genesis does not work properly in Poser. The genitals aren't the only issue - the forced limits and scaling are also big concerns. I've also noticed with surprise that some morphs don't exist for Genesis that are present for V4 and M4 - "Old" for the face is one I use regularly, but Genesis apparently cannot be old.

Even the "mix and match" morphs which are one of the big selling points for Genesis don't seem to work as well as I would hope. I attempted to use the "three fingered" morph from the creatures pack on the Genesis troll to create something nearer to the original, for which I have a soft spot, but it doesn't work - just shortening the middle two fingers a little isn't right. Again, I don't know if this works better in Daz Studio. Is this another problem with the forced limits?

Until these issues are fixed, and you tell us they are fixed (sorry, but I haven't got enough spare time to spend hours trawling through forum posts to try to find out what is going on), I'm not spending more money, time or effort on Genesis. I spent enough (nearly $200) to do a fair test with Genesis in Poser - currently, I am not impressed. It seems to me that I can do anything in Poser with V4 and M4 that I could do with Genesis, without the problems with which Genesis seems to be beset.

Post edited by Eric Walters on
  • Mr BowenMr Bowen Posts: 396
    edited November 2012

I guess this thread is dead...

Post edited by Mr Bowen on
  • edited December 1969

Certainly wouldn't advise anyone to buy a bundle for the genital content as it isn't downloadable currently anyway.

Finally upgraded to Genesis from V4.

Went for the V5 and M5 bundle.

Everything available, downloaded and installed apart from the genital files which are unavailable.

Still this could mean that a fix is in order.

Back to V4 for nudes and quite a few dollars down the pan.
    Feel just a little cheated.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

I downloaded the current DSON Importer for Mac64, reinstalled Gen. And was able to apply a Hip Material I previously saved from V5. Aha!
    Then I tried to render. FREEZE......

Anyone else?

Upgrade to a PC. :)

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

ryklynuk said:
    Back to V4 for nudes and quite a few dollars down the pan.
    Feel just a little cheated.

You do know about the DAZ 30-day no-questions-asked returns policy, do you? Even if the problem with downloading just those files can't be fixed (unlikely, others have reported the same over the last few days, so I assume DAZ will fix things as soon as they get back in to work tomorrow after the very-long-weekend holiday) then you have absolutely no "dollars down the pan".
  • edited December 1969

I own Poserpro2012, and just about every figure Daz has created. I am experienced with Poser from v1. I was disapppointed to find that V5 would not (at first) be compat. with Poser. Was invited to buy the V5Pro bundle and did so based on the free DSON importer functionality. I also downloaded DS4.5. V5 loads and the geografted gen figure works fine.

For Poser Pro 2012 the DSON importer did a good job as far as I can tell loading V5 and Genesis. The problem I am having is with V5 and the geografted genitals. If I load V5 and then the genital figure, at first all looks fine. But once conformed to Genesis the genital area bulges out like a man's sport cup. Under Actor/female/realworld there are 4 morph dials: Basic Female, Victoria 5, V5 Supermodel and Voluptuous. If I dial down the V5 morph, the genital shrinks and fits fine. Basic Female, Voluptuous, and V5 Supermodel morphs all work with the gens figure, only the V5 morph is a problem.

Any ideas on why the V5 morph alone has problems with the genital figure within PP2012?

Thanks

edited December 1969

Infoman9 said:
    Any ideas on why the V5 morph alone has problems with the genital figure within PP2012?

This sounds like a problem that usually goes the other way, applying morphs created in Poser to a figure loaded into D|S. Basically, the morph is being automatically applied to the geografted mesh (also can affect fitted clothes), so the usual setup of applying V5 to the Genesis and to the geograft ends up applying the morph twice. You've found the usual answer, just dial back the problem morph.
  • edited December 2012

Infoman9 said:

This sounds like a problem that usually goes the other way, applying morphs created in Poser to a figure loaded into D|S. Basically, the morph is being automatically applied to the geografted mesh (also can affect fitted clothes), so the usual setup of applying V5 to the Genesis and to the geograft ends up applying the morph twice. You've found the usual answer, just dial back the problem morph.

Thanks for the reply SK. Only thing is that when I dial back the V5 morph on the Genesis figure, I don't have V5 anymore. What I want is V5 with the genital figure. The Basic Female, V5 Supermodel, and Voluptuous morphs are all nice, but not the ones I want to use.

Only the V5 morph has the problem when conformed. ? Any other ideas?

ps. I am having much better results with the ACEv1, 2 and 3 products from Adam Thwaite which use texture and displacement maps to apply the female gens. I don't need any poseability with the gens so the results are pretty darn good considering it is not a real gen figure or built in mesh. I would still like to see some genuine effort put forth by Daz to reach anatomical correctness with V5 and not a half hearted attempt. The market will overtake them if they continue to try to censor or limit the figure capabilities and features.

Post edited by hdsledge_bb8e9aa5f5 on
    edited December 1969

Infoman9 said:
    Only thing is that when I dial back the V5 morph on the Genesis figure, I don't have V5 anymore. What I want is V5 with the genital figure.

Sorry, what I meant was dial back the V5 morph on the geografted mesh. Leave the setting alone on the Genesis figure. Even though geografted stuff merges with the parent mesh, the two objects are still separate in the Scene tab, and can be selected separately in the Viewport.

The morph dial might be hidden, if so you'll have to select "Show Hidden Properties" from the Parameter Tab's Options menu.

• edited December 1969

Hey Kitty,

I can't seem to locate the Parameters Pallete/Tab Options or the "show hidden properties" option anywhere in Poser Pro 2012. ?

However the problem is solved by the solution provided by raven below.

[ raven - 24 December 2012 01:05 PM

Once you’ve conformed the genital to V5, with the genital selected go to Scripts->DSON Support->Transfer Active Morphs and that should then make the genital fit correctly to the V5 shape.]

Thanks again..

• 3DProclivity3DProclivity Posts: 538
    edited December 2012

Khory said:
    Are we stuck yet again by a change of mind we’ve been assured many times would never happen

You mean are they going to change their mind from the original decision (made before V5 came out) not to sell the gens alone? Doubtful. For one thing they couldn't do ANY promo images of the products so the product would be a big blank space with a price tag.

Actually, FWIW, if they were going to sell the items separately it is more likely that they would use a male or female symbol or both to advertise the anatomy. These are the images that appear on the product icons now in DS as well (until you get down to the sub-folders). I don't do nudes, but I had to look. ;)

Post edited by 3DProclivity on
    edited December 1969

Infoman9 said:
    I can't seem to locate the Parameters Pallete/Tab Options or the "show hidden properties" option anywhere in Poser Pro 2012. ?

<headdesk> :red:

Sorry, you won't find it. That's a DAZ|Studio feature — I forgot you'd said you were using Poser.

Short pause while I stick my brain under the cold-water tap and give it a good wash...