Putting It Altogether and Multiple Toons

whispers65whispers65 Posts: 952
edited December 1969 in New Users

Well I'm not sure how to phrase this but I will try. I have two basic scenarios I'm trying to work on Solving.

1) I put together a character - shape, skin, clothes, etc and then save the premade person as a scene. On the Scene tab, each part is listed separately. When I go to create a scene, I merge one or more of my characters into the scene but it always list it like "Genesis, Genesis(2)", etc. So usually I try and rename the Genesis to the name of the toon but everything else is still listed separately. Is there a way to put the entire character together so to speak so on the Scene tab everything for that character is under whatever name I gave it? Does that make sense? For instance I would rename Genesis to something like Shawn and then if I wanted to see the individual pieces for Shawn I could then expand the node, instead of loading in three characters and seeing three sets of everything.

2) After I load a genesis toon created above into a scene, it takes a long time to move around. Is there a setting or something I can turn off to facilitate quicker movements until render time? I don't have the best computer but it's not that bad either I don't think - Alienware i7, 16 GB ram, Nvidia GTX 460m graphics card.

Thanks,

Tom

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Well I'm not sure how to phrase this but I will try. I have two basic scenarios I'm trying to work on Solving.

1) I put together a character - shape, skin, clothes, etc and then save the premade person as a scene. On the Scene tab, each part is listed separately. When I go to create a scene, I merge one or more of my characters into the scene but it always list it like "Genesis, Genesis(2)", etc. So usually I try and rename the Genesis to the name of the toon but everything else is still listed separately. Is there a way to put the entire character together so to speak so on the Scene tab everything for that character is under whatever name I gave it? Does that make sense? For instance I would rename Genesis to something like Shawn and then if I wanted to see the individual pieces for Shawn I could then expand the node, instead of loading in three characters and seeing three sets of everything.

2) After I load a genesis toon created above into a scene, it takes a long time to move around. Is there a setting or something I can turn off to facilitate quicker movements until render time? I don't have the best computer but it's not that bad either I don't think - Alienware i7, 16 GB ram, Nvidia GTX 460m graphics card.

Thanks,

Tom

There is a fairly new option in the Create menu called 'New Group'. Select the itmes in the Scene tab that you want in the group, click on Creats > New Group, and then rename it to what you want. All of the items that you selected will now be under the same group and can be collapsed or expanded in the same way.

If you have a slow computer, you can go to the Tool menu and change the draw style, which should help a bit. It makes blocky characters, but they should rotate and translate a lot faster. Window > Tabs > Tool Settings, and change During Manipulation > Draw Style to 'Switch to Smooth Shaded Box'.

You could also change your viewport display to something other thatn Texture Shaded.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

Turn off smoothing while you are setting up the scenes it updates everytime you alter something on a figure.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Turn off smoothing while you are setting up the scenes it updates everytime you alter something on a figure.
    Best Tip. Helps the most for me.
  • whispers65whispers65 Posts: 952
    edited December 1969

Hey thank y'all very much! Both tips helped alleviate a lot of frustration. :)