How do you make fur

edited December 1969 in The Commons

How do you make real looking fur in studio. I have couple of items I can use in studio that have fur trimming on them but I can never make them look real so I don't use them but really would like to.

thanks for any help

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,349
    edited December 1969

It's typically done with displacement, bump, and specular maps.

• edited December 1969

is there a tutorial that can help with this

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 2012

How do you make real looking fur in studio. I have couple of items I can use in studio that have fur trimming on them but I can never make them look real so I don't use them but really would like to.

thanks for any help

You might try our new baby, the Look at my Hair plugin: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/look-at-my-hair , which is currently on sale.

More information also on the official blog site: www.furrythings.com where is also available a library with Presets for most common figures, growing daily thanks also to user submissions.

Take a look also at the links in my signature for galleries, renders and additional info. Cheers.

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

The biggest part of it is the displacement map. You want a fine-grained noise with steep valleys, and then use the min/max displacement values to determine the length of the fur. This approach will work in pretty much any renderer. If you're rather not try making your own noise map, and you own Santa Baby or deWinter, you could use the displacement map for the Fur surface in those products.

If you use DAZ Studio to render, and are looking for a canned solution, another option to consider is the Furify Shaders package. (There are also a couple examples of this shader set included in a some of the SuperSuit 'style' add-ons, like the one with the Barbarian outfit.) These shaders use Shader Mixer nodes to create a procedural noise map for the displacement. (Hence why they only work in DAZ Studio, as Shader Mixer is specific to Studio and the 3Delight renderer.)

Another option that has just been released is the Look at my Hair plugin for Studio. This can be used for both hair and fur, and gives you a great deal of control over how it will look. But control comes with a price, in that you have to take the time to style the hair/fur yourself, instead of just slapping on a surface shader and running with it. Depends on how much flexibility you need. LAMH requires Studio to create your hair/fur presets, but can be rendered with any rendering engine if you choose the OBJ export option. (If rendering in Studio with 3Delight, you're better off leaving it set to its default export of RenderMan splines.)

• edited December 1969

thanks everyone for your help I will look into these suggestions