Look at my Hair: official thread [Commercial] RELEASED!

Comments

• SedorSedor Posts: 1,764
    edited December 1969

*asks quietly how long the sale price will stay* :P

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    Okay, that feeds right into my question: how do you apply the presets? I've installed and activated, adn it seems to be behaving itself. But although I downloaded most of the presets for animal fur, there don't seem to be any instructions for applying them. There isn't anything in the interface which referred to or obviously related to presets.

The manual doesn't get into that, either. Needs an addenda which does, since I gather that quite a few people are likely to be building and distributing presets for different models before much longer.

Which brings up my 2nd question. Where do we store the presets? Anywhere we please and just point the plugin at them, or do they need to be in a specific place.

#1) Presets are loaded using the 2nd icon from the right at the top. It looks like a file folder.

#2) Presets can be uploaded to the blog.

Kendall

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    Okay, that feeds right into my question: how do you apply the presets? I've installed and activated, adn it seems to be behaving itself. But although I downloaded most of the presets for animal fur, there don't seem to be any instructions for applying them. There isn't anything in the interface which referred to or obviously related to presets.

The manual doesn't get into that, either. Needs an addenda which does, since I gather that quite a few people are likely to be building and distributing presets for different models before much longer.

Which brings up my 2nd question. Where do we store the presets? Anywhere we please and just point the plugin at them, or do they need to be in a specific place.

#1) Presets are loaded using the 2nd icon from the right at the top. It looks like a file folder.

Kendall

its the circled icon

lamh-presets.jpg
    338 x 288 - 21K
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246
    edited December 1969

Okay. click the icon and then go point the program to where you stored them on the hard drive. Will do.

• SaiyanessSaiyaness Posts: 715
    edited December 1969

Okay, so after having no problem with installation and initial use (and figuring out why I was getting fuzz instead of hair...sort of) I can barely use it now without getting fatal crash errors. All I've been doing it trying to use the Cat Preset and it'll barely let me do that. It's happening with all BASIC scenes now.

For future reference, should I choose to stick with this product - will the hair get...better looking? More sleek and glossy? And will there be a fix for NOT smooshing hair down inside the skull? So you can comb it naturally?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. :)

edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    Okay. click the icon and then go point the program to where you stored them on the hard drive. Will do.

By default it will point you at the lookatmyhairAM/presets folder in your default DAZ storage area. Which is Documents/Daz 3d/Studio by default.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Saiyaness said:
    Okay, so after having no problem with installation and initial use (and figuring out why I was getting fuzz instead of hair...sort of) I can barely use it now without getting fatal crash errors. All I've been doing it trying to use the Cat Preset and it'll barely let me do that. It's happening with all BASIC scenes now.

For future reference, should I choose to stick with this product - will the hair get...better looking? More sleek and glossy? And will there be a fix for NOT smooshing hair down inside the skull? So you can comb it naturally?

You are getting crashes? What are your system specs?

Yes, the ability to keep the hair strands above the base mesh is a priority.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Yay Specular shine.. took a bit but I got it to show up..

needed to change specular color so it didn't have an image map, then tweak specular strength and roughness

Michael-hairtest1.jpg
    1356 x 1017 - 348K
  • Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:

Kendall

There must be some other steps in between step 1 and the export step?? When I load the MilCat Long fur preset and export, I get a very scrawny looking kitty. What might I be doing wrong?

Scrawny-kitty.jpg
    524 x 467 - 19K
    edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    JOdel said:

Kendall

There must be some other steps in between step 1 and the export step?? When I load the MilCat Long fur preset and export, I get a very scrawny looking kitty. What might I be doing wrong?

what hair count setting are you exporting the preset with? humans average 120,000 hairs just for the head..

edited December 2012

Rareth said:
    Mari-Anne said:
    JOdel said:

Kendall

what hair count setting are you exporting the preset with? humans average 120,000 hairs just for the head..

Ahh, Rareth - much better. This time I tried 120,000 and it's much better. I thought I should just leave the preset settings alone, but realize that I do need to change them. Just goes to prove that the earlier request for people to share their counts is a very appropriate one. Thank you for steering me in the right direction.

Scrawny-kitty2.jpg
    524 x 467 - 18K
    Post edited by Mari-Anne on
    edited December 1969

smoke14 said:
    Hey Alessandro, I really want to thank you for this plugin. I'm just starting to try it out and so far its awesome. Just wanted to show a pic I did of the MilCat with the long hair preset. It is amazing the difference it makes to have the cat to have "real" fur. I'm really looking forward to seeing just what I can do with LAMH.

This looks so great!! Did you adjust the preset at all? What count did you use for export, if I may ask?

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    Rareth said:
    Mari-Anne said:
    JOdel said:

Kendall

Ahh, Rareth - much better. This time I tried 120,000 and it's much better. I thought I should just leave the preset settings alone, but realize that I do need to change them. Just goes to prove that the earlier request for people to share their counts is a very appropriate one. Thank you for steering me in the right direction.

I was beaten to the answer. Thanks Rareth.

Giving hair counts could actually be a problem for some. Humans (in real life) can range from 120000-200000 hairs in their heads due to a variety of conditions/situations. Animals are rather different. Some have multiple coats, some have differing densities based on location on the body, etc. The best thing is to try until you find a setting that you like, and that your machine can handle.

10000 (the default) is a good start for human body hair
    100000 hairs is a good start for dense hair (heads, light fur)
    200000 hairs is the lower bounds for most small dogs/long hair cats
    Other animals will vary by size. A camel will stress most machines.... trust me. :-)

Also, as stated earlier, one can "fudge" the number of hairs by varying the size of the individual hairs themselves.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    Rareth said:
    Mari-Anne said:
    JOdel said:

Kendall

I was beaten to the answer. Thanks Rareth.

Giving hair counts could actually be a problem for some. Humans (in real life) can range from 120000-200000 hairs in their heads due to a variety of conditions/situations. Animals are rather different. Some have multiple coats, some have differing densities based on location on the body, etc. The best thing is to try until you find a setting that you like, and that your machine can handle.

10000 (the default) is a good start for human body hair
    100000 hairs is a good start for dense hair (heads, light fur)
    200000 hairs is the lower bounds for most small dogs/long hair cats
    Other animals will vary by size. A camel will stress most machines.... trust me. :-)

Also, as stated earlier, one can "fudge" the number of hairs by varying the size of the individual hairs themselves.

Kendall

Thanks, Kendall. Yes, I sort of came to that conclusion myself - that is that one needs to experiment with the count. But your tip gives me some good starting points which I really appreciate. I think I was so thrilled with the examples by Alessandro & others and was impatient to reach the same great results. I need to read the manual in detail some more and learn the tools.

• SaiyanessSaiyaness Posts: 715
    edited December 2012

Saiyaness said:

Kendall

I'm not super computer savvy so I'm not sure what specs you want...sorry to be a bother!

Without typing out everything in System Information, I can tell you that it's a Windows 7, Intel 5, 64 bit...what sort of memory specs do you need? EDIT: NVidia GeForce GT 520MX, roughly 3GB of memory/graphics...

Post edited by Saiyaness on
  • KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

smoke14 said:
    Hey Alessandro, I really want to thank you for this plugin. I'm just starting to try it out and so far its awesome. Just wanted to show a pic I did of the MilCat with the long hair preset. It is amazing the difference it makes to have the cat to have "real" fur. I'm really looking forward to seeing just what I can do with LAMH.

That kitty of yours is adorable.
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,877
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    I use Raytraced shadows with shadow bias at 0.1 average render times around 10 minutes or less.

excuse the cross eyed expression, Vicky's a bit stressed due to the season.

A note on render settings in general:

Raytrace Depth, if your not doing reflections you can get away with 2

Pixel Samples - for test renders you can keep it at 4 each. Raise it higher for the final render if you need to or want to

Shadow Samples - Again, keep it low for tests

Shading Rate - 0.5 for tests or even 1 but for the final, 0.2

edited December 1969

Saiyaness said:
    Saiyaness said:

Kendall

I'm not super computer savvy so I'm not sure what specs you want...sorry to be a bother!

Without typing out everything in System Information, I can tell you that it's a Windows 7, Intel 5, 64 bit...what sort of memory specs do you need?

all that you missed is your RAM amount. I'm just trying to determine the best way to tell you how to get LAMH working on your system so that you can have some fun. :-) Some of the presets, combined with some of the models, can take a machine past it's resources. This is especially true of 32 bit installs. Or 64 bit installs with little memory.

If you want you may contact me directly at krsears (at) trdc.biz and we'll see what we can't find out for you.

Kendall

• smoke14smoke14 Posts: 245
    edited December 2012

Mari-Anne - I believe the count that I used for the cat's fur on that render was around 325,000.

Kattey - Thanks.

Post edited by smoke14 on
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    JOdel said:

Kendall

Also along with the count when you export, you *NEED* to click fur preview density button on and move the slider all the way to the right.

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    Okay, that feeds right into my question: how do you apply the presets? I've installed and activated, adn it seems to be behaving itself. But although I downloaded most of the presets for animal fur, there don't seem to be any instructions for applying them. There isn't anything in the interface which referred to or obviously related to presets. The manual doesn't get into that, either. Needs an addenda which does, since I gather that quite a few people are likely to be building and distributing presets for different models before much longer. Which brings up my 2nd question. Where do we store the presets? Anywhere we please and just point the plugin at them, or do they need to be in a specific place.

Kendall

Also along with the count when you export, you *NEED* to click fur preview density button on and move the slider all the way to the right.[/quote

Thanks, belovedalia - I appreciate any tips I can get! Good to know.

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I've tried LAMH, and it's a decent product. I imported a figure, learned how to select on the surface and applying hair on it. Even went as far to have different 'hair zones'. Exported as Obj as DS wouldn't render with the Renderman option. I'll look more into it later and see why it doesn't render, maybe a setting or something. So, I have a couple of questions:

-Anyone have ready-made presets? And where to download from?
    -How to 'conform' the hair? Right now it works fine when the object is 'static'.
    -Best settings of the hair, please. I haven't read all 78 pages yet. Right now I have 6 for root and 4 for tip-size. Adjusted the length according to how 'thick' I want the hair (or fur).

Another note, I appliy a UberEnvironment2 with one distant sunlight and it renders perfectly (with max settings). In fact it renders faster than other types of fur, which is nice - since I know how processor-intensive fur can be during render-time. The biggest issues are conforming it, and having the 'perfect preference settings' of the hair.

edited December 1969

I've tried LAMH, and it's a decent product. I imported a figure, learned how to select on the surface and applying hair on it. Even went as far to have different 'hair zones'. Exported as Obj as DS wouldn't render with the Renderman option. I'll look more into it later and see why it doesn't render, maybe a setting or something. So, I have a couple of questions:

-How to 'conform' the hair? Right now it works fine when the object is 'static'.
    -Best settings of the hair, please. I haven't read all 78 pages yet. Right now I have 6 for root and 4 for tip-size. Adjusted the length according to how 'thick' I want the hair (or fur).

Another note, I appliy a UberEnvironment2 with one distant sunlight and it renders perfectly (with max settings). In fact it renders faster than other types of fur, which is nice - since I know how processor-intensive fur can be during render-time. The biggest issues are conforming it, and having the 'perfect preference settings' of the hair.

Hi Norse,
    Look on the last 2 pages for some decent starting points for the hair counts. As far as "conforming" you make the hair conforming when you design it. If you need the figure in a specific pose, then pose the figure and then import it into LAMH. You can then make the hair match the pose exactly.

There are over 30 presets available at http://www.furrythings.com/presets we encourage others to upload new presets.

Kendall

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,877
    edited December 1969

The offline activation worked just fine.

While combing/styling hair, has anyone else had their camera suddenly jump like you were controling the camera instead of styling?

Has anyone had the camera control be non responsive for no reason?

Is there any way to stop the hair from going below the mesh of the model?

Thank you.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    The offline activation worked just fine.

While combing/styling hair, has anyone else had their camera suddenly jump like you were controling the camera instead of styling?

Has anyone had the camera control be non responsive for no reason?

Is there any way to stop the hair from going below the mesh of the model?

Thank you.

Keeping the hair shafts above the base mesh is a priority. I expect to have that ready very, very s---hortly.

We've not had any reports of non-responsiveness... over-responsiveness, yes.

Kendall

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

Hi Norse,
    Look on the last 2 pages for some decent starting points for the hair counts. As far as "conforming" you make the hair conforming when you design it. If you need the figure in a specific pose, then pose the figure and then import it into LAMH. You can then make the hair match the pose exactly.

There are over 30 presets available at http://www.furrythings.com/presets we encourage others to upload new presets.

Kendall

Thanks for the link!

I got the import/export thingie quickly, same with adjusting the number of hairs during export to DS. I'm just peeking at those who managed to get 'natural' results (say the size of root and tip of hair). Though I'm on a Win7 64-bit laptop (Asus) with 8 Gig's of memory, it doesn't really strain the system too much (approaching 6.5-7 Gig's depending on size of scene and amount of props during render-time). And I uploaded a screenshot of my work at flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norse_graphics/8298295339/in/photostream

Heh, I combed the hair quite easily, though there was a strain as I accidentally applied 250000 hairs on one zone instead of 25000 during export to DS 4.5 Pro.

Ok, so it's 'static', applying the hair after each pose. Hmm, maybe that'll be part of the next iteration/version after Alex has done the tuts on Youtube. And I didn't get any crash, so "Yay!!" for that. :)

8298295339_fec7df91a3_c.jpg
    800 x 672 - 164K
    Post edited by Norse Graphics on
    edited December 1969

Hi Norse,

Kendall

Thanks for the link!

I got the import/export thingie quickly, same with adjusting the number of hairs during export to DS. I'm just peeking at those who managed to get 'natural' results (say the size of root and tip of hair). Though I'm on a Win7 64-bit laptop (Asus) with 8 Gig's of memory, it doesn't really strain the system too much (approaching 6.5-7 Gig's depending on size of scene and amount of props during render-time). And I uploaded a screenshot of my work at flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norse_graphics/8298295339/in/photostream

Heh, I combed the hair quite easily, though there was a strain as I accidentally applied 250000 hairs on one zone instead of 25000.

Ok, so it's 'static', applying the hair after each pose. Hmm, maybe that'll be part of the next iteration/version after Alex has done the tuts on Youtube. And I didn't get any crash, so "Yay!!" for that. :)

There will be lots of new candy for LAMH very, very s---hortly. I'm typing as fast as I can.

Kendall

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    edited December 1969

Running into an activation issue - I plug in the installation code and the activation code and click 'activate' - I get a pop-up error box that says 'activation complete - LAMH will now exit. Start it up and have fun'. But when I start it up, I get the activation screen again.

Win7 64 bit. Off-line activation.

edited December 1969

namffuak said:
    Running into an activation issue - I plug in the installation code and the activation code and click 'activate' - I get a pop-up error box that says 'activation complete - LAMH will now exit. Start it up and have fun'. But when I start it up, I get the activation screen again.

Win7 64 bit. Off-line activation.

usually this means that there was an entry error somewhere. Please contact me via PM or email: krsears (at) trdc.biz

Kendall

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246
    edited December 1969

Well, I'm overloading the system and seeing how that turns out. So far it appears to be doing what I want. But it's one hour in, and probably going to take another to finish rendering, and will take most of that to get down far enough to see how it will handle the face and head. I don't know whether I'll ever be able to render a long-haired cat with anything else in the scene, but I do appear to be getting a long-haired cat.

Unforthunately, I suspect rendering a short-haired cat will require a whole different procedure, but we'll see.

This discussion has been closed.