Can somebody help me make the DS 4.9 UI text bigger?

Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
edited January 2016 in Daz Studio Discussion

I can't read the text; it's way too small on my 24" 1920 X 1200 (native) Asus monitors.  I sit with my eyes about 30 inches from the monitors and my eyes are corrected to 20:20.  This is a problem with all DAZ software, and nobody can seem to offer a workable solution.

Decreasing monitor resolution makes the application blurry, fatiguing, and difficult to read.  Increasing Windows font sizes tends to mess up other WYSIWYG software, such as my web authoring tools, MS Word, Excel spreadsheet alignments, and my general desktop usage.

I've been trying to use the Windows Magnifier to enlarge the DS "eye chart," but Magnifier is rough on GPU and tends to slow down the UI.  Plus, it takes up an entire monitor, reducing available screen space for undocked DS panels. 

All attempts to SEE the software have been unsuccessful and unacceptable.

Can anybody help me?  Thank you.

Edit:

Unfortunately, my attempt to share a JPG of the problem is not working.

Basically, I'm looking at 7-point fonts and wishing they were 12 or 14 point.  Any help would be appreciated.

Edit 2:

Increasing Windows font sizes to 200% actually does nothing to enlarge the fonts inside of DAZ Studio 4.9.

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on

Comments

• Roboman28Roboman28 Posts: 210

Its disappointing this has not been improved in the latest update. I'm currently OK on 1920 x 1200 24" but I want to do this hobby in retirement and eyes dont get better. So your problem will eventually be my problem. People have been posting this problem for at least the last 6 months so can only conclude they dont care or too difficult to fix. As higher monitor resolutions are becoming available and cheaper too this problem will only get worse.

• I believe there is a magnify fuction in the control panel of windows 7 under ease of access center. This is a gui problem and I don't think they have many people working on this as most programers want to work on the guts of a program, but I don't speak for daz so who knows? Hope this helps you.

• adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited January 2016

Only way I've seen to change the font size is to change the interface style to Main Street, which uses a slightly larger font.

On the Daz Studio Menu Bar mouse click on - Window - Style - Select Style - - the Select A Style menu box opens and has a drop down box called Style: mouse click on that and select Main Street and click Accept

Post edited by adzan on
  • Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited January 2016

Hello all, and thank you for trying to help.

Silver Dolphin, the magnifier you speak of is what I'm already using.  It takes up a whole monitor (I currently have 3 set aside for DAZ) and makes the computer more sluggish, as I noted in my first post.  Not an acceptable solution.

Adzan, "Mainstreet" setting does make the text appear larger, but it is so little as to not really be helpful anyway.  Like the dentist saying he can fix one of your toothaches.  "But I have four toothaches!"

Unless the problem can be completely fixed (allow flexible font adjustment to all text elements at least up to an "apparent font size" of 12 or 14), then it's not really a fix.

Any other ideas?  It seems that DS 4.9 fonts were made smaller.  Psychosomatic or not, I'm really stuck.  And these days nobody is making monitors with lower native resolutions.  Changing to 1020 X 768 is such a waste of good, high quality monitors designed for graphic work in the visual arts.

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
  • adzanadzan Posts: 268

Hi the text and themes are not editable without the Daz theme builder, I think it was downloadable at one point but I haven't seen it mentioned on the daz site for many many years,

which version of windows do you have.

Windows 8 has an Ease of Access - Make everything on your screen bigger setting

Windows 10 has a system setting to Resize everything, which will resize text, programs and apps up to 175% bigger

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2016
    Roboman28 said:

Its disappointing this has not been improved in the latest update. I'm currently OK on 1920 x 1200 24" but I want to do this hobby in retirement and eyes dont get better. So your problem will eventually be my problem. People have been posting this problem for at least the last 6 months so can only conclude they dont care or too difficult to fix. As higher monitor resolutions are becoming available and cheaper too this problem will only get worse.

Daz_Vince did actually post that this is being worked on, in one of the other threads on this subjuct, you may have missed the post.

I am informed that It might seem like a small thing, but it's actually a ton of work because there is a ripple effect. It isn't just changing a font size (otherwise it would've been done a long time ago), it's also changing everything else to account for the text getting larger... in a highly customizable interface. Making the font size adjustable (which is what is being done) is even more involved.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Adzan, I'm using Windows 8.1 on my workstation right now, but will be upgrading to Windows 10 sometime in the next month or so.

Cohole, I know it's not easy.  But it needs to be done no matter how hard it is.  I think we have enough features in DS to last us for a couple subreleases.  What good are new features if you can't read the UI?

This is not a feature reqeust; it is a usability request.  There is no other higher priority when half of your customer base is adversely impacted version after version.

I suggest that there be no more new features until this is fixed.  There, I just found all the resources DAZ needs to fix this, and they don't even have to hire any new developers.  Well, unless the current developers simply are not skilled enough to make this happen.  I sure hope that's not true.

Chohole said:
    Roboman28 said:

Daz_Vince did actually post that this is being worked on, in one of the other threads on this subjuct, you may have missed the post.

• Going to the Windows 10 Sytem Settings did all I need!! Thanks.

• Going to the Windows 10 Sytem Settings did all I need!! Thanks.

Yeah, but I don't use Windows 10.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,061

As Chohole sya, it is being worked on. And it is a very major change. Currently DAZ Studio uses the QT toolkit, version 4.5+ for ALL the GUI functions. QT 4.5 does not support user-specified fonts for most functions. QT 5 does. But the conversion from 4.5 to 5.0 is major and all-encompasing as a number of screen draw options have undergone significant change. Don't expect this before DAZ Studio 5.0 at the earliest (and remember, that second number is NOT a decimal - we could end up on 4.102 before we see 5.0 -- not that I expect it to take that long).

Daz Studio is currently built on top of Qt 4.8.7 (execute App.aboutQt(); in the Script IDE). It hasn't been built on Qt 4.5 for a long time.

• FossilFossil Posts: 166

I have two new-ish BenQ GW2765's at 2560x1440 and Studio is almost unusable.  I have some closeup glasses on the bridge of my nose and am constantly flicking my head up and down to read the darned text.  Large monitors have been around many years, why is Daz only just getting to this?   Adobe (and everybody else, including Smith Micro) was ready and it's never been a problem.  Even (free) Blender has never had a problem with legibility. 

• Fossil said:

I have two new-ish BenQ GW2765's at 2560x1440 and Studio is almost unusable.  I have some closeup glasses on the bridge of my nose and am constantly flicking my head up and down to read the darned text.  Large monitors have been around many years, why is Daz only just getting to this?   Adobe (and everybody else, including Smith Micro) was ready and it's never been a problem.  Even (free) Blender has never had a problem with legibility. 

Have you tried adjusting the system text size/DPI setting? That should work in most recentish versions of Windows, not just 10, though the location and label may vary.

• FossilFossil Posts: 166

Have you tried adjusting the system text size/DPI setting? That should work in most recentish versions of Windows, not just 10, though the location and label may vary.first thing I tried but it

First thing I did, but it made text in everything else much too big.   The problem exists ONLY in Studio.  I use Studio less and less as I learn how to use my content in Blender, so at some point it won't matter.

• KalisxKalisx Posts: 112

Is it not possible to create a Main Street like style with bigger fonts ?

Actually I'm using a little software called Magnifying Glass Pro. That's not THE solution, but it helps. I use it with Windows 7.

As it is said, bigger fonts or customising interface it is a usability request.

• Kalisx said:

Is it not possible to create a Main Street like style with bigger fonts ?

Actually I'm using a little software called Magnifying Glass Pro. That's not THE solution, but it helps. I use it with Windows 7.

As it is said, bigger fonts or customising interface it is a usability request.

No, the DPI responsiveness is a workaround (for those for whom it is a workaround), we know proper scaling is being worked on but it is a major undertaking.