Stuff I've been working on...

Ojo CalienteOjo Caliente Posts: 10
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

Once upon a time I used to post images within Daz, but have been off my game I suppose. The galleries don't seem to be working right (at least for me), so I thought I'd post a few images here in the meantime. Seems like the place to do it.

I've actually been quite prolific over the last year and a half. I've been making a comic book series. Really. First four issues are published digitally over at Graphicly.com and the fifth is currently in the works. There's a 26 page preview of SIRN 013 available for free should you like to see for yourself.

http://graphicly.com/ocpstudios-llc/sirn/013-preview

I've also been posting quite regularly on the Facebook page dedicated to the series. The same preview pages and lots more stuff can be found here:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SIRN/140452486025313

The series is called SIRN. It's sci-fi and I've used a lot of my Daz assets to create the art. A lot--too many to name. Anyway, with the current size constraints on images here in the forum individual comic book pages would be difficult to read. I thought I'd just post a few of the singular images created from various panels. These were images I liked enough to use as desktop pictures. Enjoy!

Pat Garrahy a.k.a. Ojo Caliente

Comments

• Ojo CalienteOjo Caliente Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

Here are a few more. Although I have (and do use on occasion) Daz Studio, I've primarily been using Poser and exporting figures and objects into Vue. I've been doing post work in Photoshop, so these are all modified from the original renders and often times composited from multiple renders.

Pat Garrahy a.k.a. Ojo Caliente

S051P07p02sm.jpg
    768 x 432 - 294K
    S051P04fls.jpg
    768 x 432 - 285K
    S049P10p02bc01.jpg
    768 x 432 - 191K
  • Blue FlameBlue Flame Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

The are fantastic images for comics or manga! Maybe the dinosaurs don't fit your style so much? You're really good with these. Thanks for making them available to see.

• kylumikylumi Posts: 291
    edited June 2012

A very nice style, I can see how they would fit into a comic book, most excellently. :coolsmile:

Post edited by kylumi on
    edited December 1969

I know what you mean about the dinosaurs. I collected/bought so many dinosaur wireframes over the years and never had a chance to use them. I found a way to squeeze them into one of the books just because I wanted to play around and have some fun with the models. At some point I'll do some more I think.

• JEHarvey68JEHarvey68 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

These show a nice variation of the different effects & ambience you've achieved, very cool images and a great assortment :) Nicely done!

edited December 1969

Thanks for those who've looked at this thread and shared comments. I thought I'd add a few more words of explanation and some more examples. The artwork I've created for my series is constantly changing. Some of the changes are planned as the series proceeds, but I've also gotten into the habit of exploring new methods and techniques. I've been producing panels and pages for the last year and a half. The last issue I completed was 72 story pages containing 312 individual panels of art. Four issues are finished (out of 9) and the fifth is in progress. In total I've finished about 170 pages and I expect to complete the first 320 to 350 page story arc within the next year or so. So I thought I'd show some example pages from each issue to give you an idea how the artwork has evolved. These first two example pages are from the first issue which was completed back in early May of 2011. Sorry. They may be too small to read, but at least you should be able to note some of the stylistic choices I made.

Sirn_001_Page_15.jpg
    600 x 800 - 350K
    Sirn_001_Page_14.jpg
    600 x 800 - 397K
    edited December 1969

These next two example pages are from SIRN 002 (the second book). Although I used a lot of Daz resources, the background elements are primarily boolean constructs. I played around a lot with lines as design elements. Boolean objects just fit my need at the time and provided some interesting design reflections.

Sirn_002_P25.jpg
    600 x 800 - 462K
    Sirn_002_P21.jpg
    600 x 800 - 474K
    edited December 1969

The next two pages are from SIRN 049 (the third issue--yes the numbers of the issues are not consecutive). The artwork in this issue was intended to be more "dream-like" at times.

S049P24.jpg
    600 x 800 - 419K
    S049P17.jpg
    600 x 800 - 357K
    edited December 1969

Here are five example pages from SIRN 013 (the forth issue--again there's a free preview over at Graphicly.com if you want to see more--the link is at the top of the thread). The art in this issue really sort of changes from scene to scene--especially the color story. I also included one of the "Dorp" pages. I used the Daz Dorpodon model for an odd bit of humor. I was scanning my libraries looking for items to populate the background and I came across the Dorpodon. Initially the Dorp was going to be hidden somewhere in the background, but I ended up having a bit of fun with it and turned it into a deranged slobbering amphibian dog-thing.

S013P65.jpg
    600 x 800 - 461K
    S013P48.jpg
    600 x 800 - 522K
    S013P23.jpg
    600 x 800 - 527K
    S013P21.jpg
    600 x 800 - 425K
    S013P02.jpg
    600 x 800 - 416K
    edited December 1969

Absolutely stunning artwork, my friend......I can only imagine the time and effort that goes into your artwork.

Brilliant! :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Many thanks for the compliment. As for the time spent, there's a little bit of a history there. Years ago I might have spent as much as three months or more working on a single image. (Some of those are still popping up randomly in Daz Galleries--one titled "Inevitable" seems to show up pretty regularly.) Anyway, as part of the process I had to figure out a way to cut down my OCD tendencies and severely shorten the about of time I spent on a single image. My goal was to create not just an image a day, but to complete an entire page of images in a day. Thanks to new computers being bigger, faster, better etc. part of the solution presented itself. From November 2010 through the beginning of March 2011 I went through a preproduction phase. I tested builds and renders in order to get a feel for how to simplify my own process. I got better at doing more with less, but I still have those days where I might sacrifice a really long render time to a single image due to excessive lighting, complex textures and atmosphere. Learning to do more in post production (Photoshop) also helped a great deal. (Fire, for example, tends to be extremely difficult to render well.) RON'S EXPLOSIONS (sold here at Daz) was a recent addition to my "bag-o-tricks" and it's rapidly become very handy.

edited December 1969

Attached is a recent cover created for the SIRN 051 FREE PREVIEW. The issue just went live over at http://graphicly.com/ocpstudios-llc/sirn/051-preview if you would like to see the whole thing. The same content pages can also be view either as pages or panels in the SIRN Facebook page photo galleries found here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/SIRN/140452486025313?sk=photos

S051C01FP.jpg
    600 x 800 - 535K
    edited December 1969

Attached is a recent cover created for the SIRN 051 FREE PREVIEW. The issue just went live over at http://graphicly.com/ocpstudios-llc/sirn/051-preview if you would like to see the whole thing. The same content pages can also be view either as pages or panels in the SIRN Facebook page photo galleries found here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/SIRN/140452486025313?sk=photos

Congratulations my friend on producing a great cover............I will be checking out that issue, myself. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Many thanks, Kylumi.