New Teens Teeth Issue

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,132
    edited December 1969

I sent a PM to Thorne. I said:

Thorne,
    I noticed that the new Young Teens Justin and Julie have strangely small and widely spaced teeth. They look like baby teeth, not teenage teeth. The promos for those packages do not show any open mouths, but the Faces of Teens do, and those teeth look normal. Did something go wrong with the Justin and Julie models after making the Faces of Teens promo images? Or is some other product interfering and having unexpected consequences? There is a long discussion of the teeth problem in the forums starting about here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/13686/P15/#199218
    Please help us resolve the problem with the teens, so we can start rendering cute young people who can show their teeth!

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

Nice PM..Now we just have to wait for a response..

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    I just went back to look at product promo images. Neither Justin or Julie have any images with teeth showing in the promo images. However the Faces for Teens promo images show lots of teeth, and they look fine. I don't have that product. I wonder if it has a teeth morph fix built into the poses, or is something just went badly wrong with the Justin and Julie models after the promo images were created. Or, I wonder if there is interference from some other package we have installed that affects the teeth in a way the vendor did not anticipate.

Can anyone test the faces of teens to see it those expressions fix the teeth?

The in-program icons for Faces of Teens look like they also have the problem. The expressions themselves definitely do.

edited December 1969

I hate false advertising...Wonder how and why the teeth on those expression promos are fine...I want answers:)

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    I just went back to look at product promo images. Neither Justin or Julie have any images with teeth showing in the promo images. However the Faces for Teens promo images show lots of teeth, and they look fine. I don't have that product. I wonder if it has a teeth morph fix built into the poses, or is something just went badly wrong with the Justin and Julie models after the promo images were created. Or, I wonder if there is interference from some other package we have installed that affects the teeth in a way the vendor did not anticipate.

Can anyone test the faces of teens to see it those expressions fix the teeth?

The in-program icons for Faces of Teens look like they also have the problem. The expressions themselves definitely do.
    Thanks for testing. This seems to be more evidence that something went wrong with the models after promo creation. Perhaps something like what RAMWolf suggested. I am encouraged now that this may not be what the artist intended, and it may get fixed.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 2012

Thorne is a really reliable merchant I'm sure he/she would be shocked to know that the teeth were a mess. I know when I was finishing up my Bruno face morphs and BAM... rude awakening. I found that if your using ZBrush there is an easy fix. Export using GoZ bride to ZBrush. Hide all the body parts in the general area, including the back of the head (Tool> Display Properties> Double to see the back of the head without turning things) and then using the "inflate" brush tap your mouse over each tooth until it fills back out to the proper size. When finished Unhide everything and using the GoZ to send it back to DS and resave as a Morph Asset ...

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • MadaMada Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Hey guys - Thorne is away for the Christmas holidays until after New Year, since its in the middle of nowhere she doesn't have any internet access until she gets back home.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Dont forget that DAZ bought these from Thorne which means they could have made additional changes to the characters

edited December 2012

Well in that case, I think I will file a bug report on it.

Edit: bug Report filed https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=48671
    Feel free to add your comments to it.

Post edited by barbult on
    edited December 2012

Mattymanx said:
    Dont forget that DAZ bought these from Thorne which means they could have made additional changes to the characters

They didn't even fix the UV on the basicsuit yet after a huge response from the public:) But maybe they have some christmas spirit. So can we confirm that the teeth is indeed a glitch?

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...so much for doing a giggly Leela.

From what I have seen in the past, Thorne pays a great deal of attention to small details and something like this would never have passed by into the final product release. True, Daz had the characters "on ice" for several months after buying them and it is unknown what took place in that time. Whether any additional "editing" was done is unknown but wouldn't be beyond possibility since Daz, effectively owned the meshes. Why they would mess up the teeth though doesn't make sense.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250
    edited December 1969

You would expect that kind of a modification of the teeth in a dedicated Kid 5 package. I don't recall hearing any kind of a hint about that.

Is it possible that someone was intending that these figures be mixed with basic child to get younger kids who might still have baby teeth? But even then the kids wouldn't have *all* baby teeth. From about 5 or 6 there'd be a mix of baby and adult teeth. By 11 or 12 it's just molars which still need to get changed over.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2012

barbult said:

Some reason it wont accept my log in :(

Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    barbult said:

Some reason it wont accept my log in :(Mine neither. How bizarre.

edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    You would expect that kind of a modification of the teeth in a dedicated Kid 5 package. I don't recall hearing any kind of a hint about that.

Is it possible that someone was intending that these figures be mixed with basic child to get younger kids who might still have baby teeth? But even then the kids wouldn't have *all* baby teeth. From about 5 or 6 there'd be a mix of baby and adult teeth. By 11 or 12 it's just molars which still need to get changed over.

The products is supposed to be dedicated to delivering "Teenagers" not toddlers. It is not an appropriate morph that should be hard wired into the teens FBM. If it was intended to be part of it, it should be a single 'additional' morph that should people want toddler teeth they could dial it up separately. But really, for a teenager pack, it never needed to have toddler teeth anyway. It's not even relevant to it's product, which seems much more like a glitch/bug.

edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    barbult said:

Some reason it wont accept my log in :(

Mine neither. How bizarre.

Oh good, it's not just me then lol. I thought it was strange since the forum and store still allow my log in.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

It's a different system, you have to create a new log-in for the bug report.

edited December 1969

anikad said:

Thanks Ani! - I swear Daz likes us to have multiple accounts with them lol

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    anikad said:

Thanks Ani! - I swear Daz likes us to have multiple accounts with them lol

You can use the same login info...it just needs to be set up again.

I've dealt with many places that use that system and yeah, all of them require a separate login to Mantis...it is a security feature, that actually does work. It keeps the bugtracker separate from everything else.

• mosjomosjo Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

I just got the teen bundle for some very specific images where I need to show the teeth, so I am in despair actually...

I have nothing by the name "Dental Plan".

Please help: what is this Dental Plan and how do I get this into DS? (I am using DS 4.5 64bit on a mac.

Zev0 said:
    This was Draagonstorms solution using Dental Plan.. There are many ways to fix the problem. She went with the teeth size all dialed in negative.
    justin-teeth.jpg
    490 x 295 - 13K
    Post edited by mosjo on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

Dental plan isn't availble yet.
    See here
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/12185/

If you have either Hitomi or Hiro 5 theres a smoothing teeth morph that helps.

edited December 1969

And it most definitely was/is caused by using the smoothing brush too close to the mouth, with the teeth unmasked.

I tried a couple of experiments, using Blender and it's sculpting tools (don't have Zbrush) and it didn't take much to get them to look that way. Just a couple of 'light taps' on the lips (mainly where they meet). The first tap opens the lips just a fraction, almost not enough to see...the second hits the teeth directly.

edited December 2012

Never mind...see Ebahr's post a couple down.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,654
    edited December 1969

Just to increase the thread count number, so maybe this will get fixed, I will add my comment.

I agree that the baby teeth look awful on the young teenagers and I don't think we should have to buy another product to fix it.

In the meantime Justin and Julie will have to keep their mouths shut. :roll:

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,245
    edited December 1969

I assume Daz will have a free fix?

• edited December 2012

Not a fix, per-say, but an option that can be used until something more official is in place:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/66439/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Teeth-Morph-Adjustments--Genesis-Teens-DS4.5

As said on SCG: DS 4.5 YT 5: A temp fix, of sorts, for the YT5 teeth. Not meant as a solution, only as a stop-gap till better comes along. :)
    Teeth Adjustment 2 and 3 (inc) are just fine tuners for the tooth shapes

Should work alright. :)
    Note: Shown on Justin. The values for Julie are a little lower: Somewhere around 60% of Teeth Adjustment, and the shapers until you have what you want. Have fun :)

GeNTeethAdjust.jpg
    700 x 593 - 193K
    Post edited by e-bahr_b0b4c77606 on
  • KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Ebahr, it is very thoughtful of you :)

• edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Never mind...see Ebahr's post a couple down.

Heya mjc, I think we were both working on it at the same time here. Can we still get yours, also? Mine are more a band-aid, really, since we're not sure when an official fix will come in. So the more unofficial fixes, the better. :)

@Kattey: Very welcome, hopefully it helps :)

edited December 1969

Ebahr said:
    Not a fix, per-say, but an option that can be used until something more official is in place:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/66439/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Teeth-Morph-Adjustments--Genesis-Teens-DS4.5

As said on SCG: DS 4.5 YT 5: A temp fix, of sorts, for the YT5 teeth. Not meant as a solution, only as a stop-gap till better comes along. :)
    Teeth Adjustment 2 and 3 (inc) are just fine tuners for the tooth shapes

Should work alright. :)

You beat me to it...if I wasn't having problems with my CMS database, I would have had it out last night...it really is a PITA that saving content for distribution is so difficult with a non-working CMS. (fortunately I don't bother with Smart Content or categories...so wiping and going back to the default db wasn't painful).

Oh well, sometimes you're the windshield; sometimes you're the bug.

• edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

You beat me to it...if I wasn't having problems with my CMS database, I would have had it out last night...it really is a PITA that saving content for distribution is so difficult with a non-working CMS. (fortunately I don't bother with Smart Content or categories...so wiping and going back to the default db wasn't painful).

Eww, I've been luck with the CMS lately, the past few versions have been good to me (knock on wood) but in the past that beast used to give me complete and total nightmares :(