Look at my Hair: official thread [Commercial] RELEASED!

Comments

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Kattey said:
    I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong here.

It is exported at 12000 hair quality and it is still too thin. I didn't touch density maps.

Hi Kattey, average human count is 120000, so you might want to try with that count. Also, if you feel hair are still to thin, you may increase root and width in the material setup window.

Ok, I'll try this, thanks.

Aside of surfaces in DS core room itself, I don't see material setup window. I know it should be there, because the manual mentions it but I don't see where it is.

Out of curiosity, what sort of render times people have with that hair and under which lighting?

there is a gear icon on the right above the Folicles header, you can edit colors and thickness there..

I played with the render settings in the manual, but I don't need shading reate set quite so low, my shading rate is 1, the big difference maker in looks is shadow bias which I set my lights to .1 and do a 3 light set up. you can drop the shading rate to .1 or lower but render times increase alot, same with shadow bias..

currenty seeing render times around 5 - 10 minutes..

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

Just wanted to come back, and confirm both "offline" installs worked.

So, if anyone is on the fence due to offline machines, don't let that stop your purchase. You can install using an offline copy/paste procedure.

My 32 bit laptop doesn't have the juice to run the plugin (was expecting this), and crashes with fatal error. Probably because of onboard graphics with OGL 1.4, and no shader language support. I don't think It has the minimum requirements needed to work. Oh well...

64 bit Windows 7 opens fine. No time to test right now, but I will give it a thorough workout later.

Also, just wanted to say that it's nice to see Kendall on board with this project.

• Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited December 1969

Here is a quick and basic way of setting up to use density maps you create outside look at my hair, it is done with an earlier build of the plugin so dont worry if you see things missing in the version I made the video on.

Density maps can be a great starting point to get the shape of the hair sorry there is no sound but I think as long as you follow my mouse you'll be ok. There is a load of density maps I posted throughout this thread if I get chance I will add them here. as you can load the same density maps into different shave groups so you get more control like if you want the beard to be thicker than the head ect.

here is the video hope it helps someone and I will do more as I promised Alex I would make some a while back on how to create them in Paintshop so should be able to easily use gimp or photoshop to follow along as the tolls used are availible in each.

Steve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90b0oOAc2zw

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Kattey said:

Aside of surfaces in DS core room itself, I don't see material setup window. I know it should be there, because the manual mentions it but I don't see where it is.

Out of curiosity, what sort of render times people have with that hair and under which lighting?

there is a gear icon on the right above the Folicles header, you can edit colors and thickness there..

I played with the render settings in the manual, but I don't need shading reate set quite so low, my shading rate is 1, the big difference maker in looks is shadow bias which I set my lights to .1 and do a 3 light set up. you can drop the shading rate to .1 or lower but render times increase alot, same with shadow bias..

It is about that with Shadow Mapped light but it is much longer than that with Raytraced light.
    I tried with different shadow bias and with Shading rate but don't know which ones are better to use, they all look about same as a result.

edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Rareth said:
    Kattey said:

It is about that with Shadow Mapped light but it is much longer than that with Raytraced light.
    I tried with different shadow bias and with Shading rate but don't know which ones are better to use, they all look about same as a result.

Here are the setting I used to get the hair shown

harisettings.jpg
    942 x 768 - 143K
  • Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Kattey said:
    Rareth said:
    Kattey said:

Hi Rareth, are these hair exported as .obj or Renderman curves?

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited December 1969

I bought it. Question: I don't see a serial number in "My Serial Numbers" but the product page says there will be one there?

edited December 1969

I bought it. Question: I don't see a serial number in "My Serial Numbers" but the product page says there will be one there?

That's an issue that I notified at DAZ today: it seems like the web robot doesn't assign the number. Please run LAMH, and email me the Serial Number prompted there at:
    info_at_alessandromastronardi.com (replace _at_ with @).

I'll send you the activation data in a minute.

edited December 1969

Sal UK said:
    Here is a quick and basic way of setting up to use density maps you create outside look at my hair, it is done with an earlier build of the plugin so dont worry if you see things missing in the version I made the video on.

Density maps can be a great starting point to get the shape of the hair sorry there is no sound but I think as long as you follow my mouse you'll be ok. There is a load of density maps I posted throughout this thread if I get chance I will add them here. as you can load the same density maps into different shave groups so you get more control like if you want the beard to be thicker than the head ect.

here is the video hope it helps someone and I will do more as I promised Alex I would make some a while back on how to create them in Paintshop so should be able to easily use gimp or photoshop to follow along as the tolls used are availible in each.

Steve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90b0oOAc2zw

Hey Steve, nice to see you around here again, and thank you very much for sharing that tutorial.

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Kattey said:
    Rareth said:
    Kattey said:

renderman curves.

edited December 2012

Rareth said:
    Rareth said:
    Kattey said:
    Rareth said:
    Kattey said:

renderman curves.

When rendering humans, I usually create 120000 hair, and set root/tip widths at: 130/80, and I use render settings as in the attached image.
    Also, if using a UE2 light, I set its Shading Rate at 0.1 as well.

render_settings.jpg
    645 x 798 - 95K
    Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
    edited December 2012

I do use 120000 hairs and similar settings, but I got better results when I set the shadow bias down to .1 rather an set the shading rate to .1 or lower (renders faster too)

Post edited by Rareth on
  • shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

Just wondering how LAMH runs on older systems (Windows Vista 32bit)? Hoping to get this one on Monday, but would like to check first :-)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Okay, I got LAMH loading I can play and edit hairs but for the life of me I'm 100% lost about getting the hair into DS to render. The PDF was not very detailed about that part that I can find. Please help, Where can I find tutorials and such?

edited December 1969

The Circled Icon exports hair

jade-help.jpg
    1234 x 835 - 127K
    edited December 1969

When rendering humans, I usually create 120000 hair, and set root/tip widths at: 130/80, and I use render settings as in the attached image.
    Also, if using a UE2 light, I set its Shading Rate at 0.1 as well.

ok I've set those settings, and set shadow bias .1 on all three light and 3 lights, distant light 1 at 80 light intensity, distant light 2 at 50 light intensity
    and linear point light at 45 intensity.

gensis-hair-LAMH2.jpg
    1356 x 1084 - 353K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yep done that, I'm in the boat with MFM. I get a Render Crash when I hit render. Not a clue why.

Win7 Home Pre 64 bit, 8Gb Ram i7-2600 @ 3.4Ghz, nVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    More than Enough power. DS 4.5.1.6 64bit.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Yep done that, I'm in the boat with MFM. I get a Render Crash when I hit render. Not a clue why.

I have what you have with 12 gb. ram, not seeing a render crash..

here are my nvdia control panel system specs.

[Display]
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
    DirectX version: 11.0

[Components]

nvui.dll 7.17.12.7588 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
    nvxdsync.exe 8.17.12.7588 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
    nvxdplcy.dll 8.17.12.7588 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
    nvxdbat.dll 8.17.12.7588 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
    nvxdapix.dll 8.17.12.7588 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
    NVCPL.DLL 8.17.12.7588 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
    nvCplUIR.dll 3.7.732.0 NVIDIA Control Panel
    nvCplUI.exe 3.7.732.0 NVIDIA Control Panel
    nvWSSR.dll 6.14.12.7588 NVIDIA Workstation Server
    nvWSS.dll 6.14.12.7588 NVIDIA Workstation Server
    nvViTvSR.dll 6.14.12.7588 NVIDIA Video Server
    nvViTvS.dll 6.14.12.7588 NVIDIA Video Server
    NVSTVIEW.EXE 7.17.12.7588 NVIDIA 3D Vision Photo Viewer
    NVSTTEST.EXE 7.17.12.7588 NVIDIA 3D Vision Test Application
    NVSTRES.DLL 7.17.12.7588 NVIDIA 3D Vision Module (0)
    nvDispSR.dll 6.14.12.7588 NVIDIA Display Server
    NVMCTRAY.DLL 8.17.12.7588 NVIDIA Media Center Library
    nvDispS.dll 6.14.12.7588 NVIDIA Display Server
    PhysX 09.10.0514 NVIDIA PhysX
    NVCUDA.DLL 8.17.12.7588 NVIDIA CUDA 4.0.1 driver
    nvGameSR.dll 6.14.12.7588 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server
    nvGameS.dll 6.14.12.7588 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited December 1969

I sent the email to you as requested Allesandro_AM. I'm looking forward to experimenting with this!

• maraichmaraich Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

I had talked myself out of getting this because I didn't want to style and such. Then I saw the page of presets. So much for my ability to resist - excuse me while I go grab this.

• DarthDDarthD Posts: 259
    edited December 1969

tigerste said:
    Alessandro, I've purchased and installed the plugin, but have no serial in my serials section! Aaaargh!!!

Check to see if you have more than one page of serial keys. Mine was on page two.
  • DarthDDarthD Posts: 259
    edited December 1969

DAZ Studio has encountered a fatal error and must close.
    DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Windows\system32\ig4icd64.dll" at 0033:0000000009387480, DllMain()+5811584 byte(s)

I get this every time I try to run LAMH. I'm using version 4.5 64bit.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    So I take it that you all got you installation code. How did you receive the number? I have put in a trouble report to Sales but it might be next week before they get it resolved. Just want to make sure that I did not receive it.

I had the same problem. Read here that you need to go to your account on DAZ site and find your serials. Will be where they save your DS serial key. Hope this helps. This info should be added to the product page if it isn't I'll be honest I never read the product page and just purchased it.

I've ordered it but not seeing a serial number in my account when I check the serial numbers. I've tried forcing a refresh but still no serial. I've just put a support ticket in. Would love to be joining in the fun...: (

edited December 2012

Jaderail said:

Jaderail, be sure that LAMH is still open when you start the render.
    Eventually, can you send me your Studio log file at info_at_alessandromastronardi (replace “_at_” with “@”)
    Thanks

edited December 1969

I sent the email to you as requested Allesandro_AM. I'm looking forward to experimenting with this!

Will answer in a minute!

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Dollygirl said:
    So I take it that you all got you installation code. How did you receive the number? I have put in a trouble report to Sales but it might be next week before they get it resolved. Just want to make sure that I did not receive it.

I had the same problem. Read here that you need to go to your account on DAZ site and find your serials. Will be where they save your DS serial key. Hope this helps. This info should be added to the product page if it isn't I'll be honest I never read the product page and just purchased it.

I've ordered it but not seeing a serial number in my account when I check the serial numbers. I've tried forcing a refresh but still no serial. I've just put a support ticket in. Would love to be joining in the fun...: (

PM sent!

edited December 2012

DarthD said:
    DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Windows\system32\ig4icd64.dll" at 0033:0000000009387480, DllMain()+5811584 byte(s)

Hi, would you mind emailing me your Studio log file at info_at_alessandromastronardi (replace "_at_" with "@")
    I'll take a look at what's going on...

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited December 1969

So how long will the sale price be good? I'm waiting on a credit refund right now and it would completely cover this, but I don't want to lose the shot at this fantastic price. Are we good through Xmas? New Year? March of 2014?

(Bought the young teens last night, so I have plenty to play with in the meantime... but dang, this has been a rough month on the pocket.)

4 weeks

Long-time lurker in this thread :red: and particularly interested in LMAH because I'm doing period renders (Les Mis fanart) and hair doesn't look so good in close-ups; had to use a blur filter to fudge some sections here :blank:

Yes, it's been a rough month on the pocket and I'm glad it'll be at the sale price for 4 weeks because it's exactly what I need and the post sales support by Alessandro and Kendall is the best I've seen :-)

Consider me a fan and a sure customer after Christmas :cheese:

edited December 1969

Hi Riggswolfe, I just answered with the data needed.

edited December 1969

DarthD said:

DarthD, if I am not mistaken, you have an Intel graphic chipset. If so, be sure to check and eventually download and install latest drivers directly at Intel Web Site

Intel GPU's are always very sensitive to openGL applications...

This discussion has been closed.