Folklore of the old world [commercial]

AntManAntMan Posts: 2,024
edited December 2012 in The Commons

I would like to do some sets that haven't been done and might be fun. I started one , well almost finished one, but I need input.
I'm looking for good ideas for locations or objects linked with old folklore. I may do a character if it's not something easily found or if Rawn is to busy but I mainly want the places or things. Here is my first attempt. Baba Yaga's house.
Thanks

Post edited by AntMan on

Comments

• jade monkeyjade monkey Posts: 111
    edited December 1969

oooh, that's awesome! baba yaga!

any kind of folklore -- i mean, from any part of the world -- or mostly european? oh gosh, so many things come to mind....

• AntManAntMan Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

I'm open to input. Like the Golem or things I've never even heard of. As long as they are Folklore scale for where they come from, in there culture.

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,543
    edited December 1969

Nice one. Always liked the crazy old lady with the hoping house.

edited December 1969

I couldn't help myself from working on the house render. Folklore is fun stuff.

_BabaYagasHouseArt.jpg
    943 x 838 - 606K
  • GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,543
    edited December 1969

Very nice work.

• tonymousetonymouse Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

Oh I love it!! I hope this turns into line like the never series, but I want that house!!!

• randym77randym77 Posts: 272
    edited December 1969

Hey, are you "GeekAtPlay" at Cornucopia3D?

edited December 1969

No not me . Are they doing the same type of stuff I'll have to go look. I hope they didn't just do Baba Yaga's house.

edited December 1969

He did a couple of Baba Yaga houses, one of which looks sorta like yours. (He's Russian, I think.)

http://www.cornucopia3d.com/purchase.php?item_id=9304

I don't think it matters, since it's for Vue and yours will be for Poser and/or DS. But I actually like his other Baba Yaga house better, because you can lower it into the ground so the feet are hidden and it looks like a regular hut. Increases the versatility.

edited December 1969

Holy Crap! I wish I had known that. And it's way cool too. I don't have Vue so I never go to that store, it does have some fun stuff.
    I do have the same drop to ground option if you hide the legs which are a body part.

I guess it's inevitable that someone will beat you to a hundred year old idea, but I hate that they did such a nice job. I hope they don't mind the company. May be could have a chicken fight. I'm embarrassed to say I was inspired by a recent scooby-doo episode my daughter was watching the other day.

edited December 1969

So, can your house actually walk? That would be cool. Most Vue models are not animatable (is that a word?)

edited December 1969

Yes. It's Poseable ( Is that a word ) The door opens the eyes move and the legs are fully jointed toes and all. So there's that. : )

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Looks cool! And for Poser and DS users something we don't have...I've actually considered buying it from cornucopia but haven't because its nots ds compatible.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Oh VERY cool.

I think the golem would be a great addition and probably a good seller, too - beyond its history, it's a popular monster or character in tons and tons of fantasy games.

Other ideas, just spitballing:

The dead man's hand: A corpse hand with candles melted onto the stiffened fingertips. Supposed to open any door. Morbid and creepy and very distinctive.

The basilisk: The legendary beast which either kills or turns to stone those at whom it looks (depending on specific legend). I've known others who wanted one but no one has made one. So far we've had to cobble them together from chicken and snake bits. Weasels are supposed to be immune to the basilisk stare (a funny bit of trivia). Ideally I'd like to see the rooster/snake version, NOT the Harry Potter snake with a punk hairdo.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Looks good! My main interest in this is Monday Begins on Saturday renders, so I'd also need a usable interior -- doesn't need to be tricked-out or anything, basic finishing will do.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 2012

...this is really nice. On my list.

I know it would be a bit more ambitious a project, but would love to see the Cathedral of Ys.(an old Breton legend)

"La cathédrale engloutie" (as it is referred to musically by Achille-Claude Debussy) along with the city of Y's was sunken beneath the sea because of the city's impiety. It is said to rise from the depths on a clear morning when the water is transparent it's bells tolling monks chanting and organ playing only to once again slip beneath the waves.

(while researching this I noticed the humble pic I did a while back which I based on the Debussy composition is among the first several illustrations in Google Images relating to the theme...didn't expect that.)

..link below to one of the best performances I have heard of the Debussy work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg5hvGS7X7w

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

Very nice work! I like the steep roof and decoration and the chicken feet look great! In the old story, the path to Baba Yaga's house was lined with posts that had skulls with glowing eyes. Baba Yaga flew around in an iron mortar and pestle.

What about Beauty and the Beast (from the old French black and white movie)the long hallway with the wall sconces that were moving arms that held lit torches?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Other ideas, just spitballing:

The dead man's hand: A corpse hand with candles melted onto the stiffened fingertips. Supposed to open any door. Morbid and creepy and very distinctive.

Also known as the "Hand of Glory". Lots of details about those candles that can best be left out (they are made from tallow...enough said). A couple of other interesting properties of the 'Hand'...it only gave light to the owner. It could also render others immobile.

The basilisk: The legendary beast which either kills or turns to stone those at whom it looks (depending on specific legend). I've known others who wanted one but no one has made one. So far we've had to cobble them together from chicken and snake bits. Weasels are supposed to be immune to the basilisk stare (a funny bit of trivia). Ideally I'd like to see the rooster/snake version, NOT the Harry Potter snake with a punk hairdo.

So, what you really want is a cockatrice...sort of a 'cousin' to the basilisk. The basilisk is more 'snake-like' while the cockatrice is more 'chicken-like'...again, depending on legend. And in some cases the words are almost interchangeable. What's really interesting is that a basilisk and cockatrice are 'created' by similar methods, just which egg is being hatched by which critter being different...but toads, snakes and roosters are involved in creation of both.

• shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

Brilliant babe yaga's hut... looking forward to seeing what you come up with next :-)

edited December 2012

Good Input I like the idea of the hand, like the monkey's paw but with providence. Here are some shots where the house is grounded and the door opens with a basic interior, good for looking in but not so much for living in. I'm working on action poses now which will be fun, jumping running and stuff.

3pop.jpg
    900 x 636 - 497K
    2POP.jpg
    900 x 636 - 372K
    Post edited by AntMan on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Hee! Stealth mode!

• tonymousetonymouse Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

Exellent!!!!! I can't wait for it