Look at my Hair: official thread [Commercial] RELEASED!

Comments

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

beregar said:
    This is probably extremely stupid question but where is the manual? I went through the registration without a hitch and LAMH seems to work fine but I can't find the manual from DS docs or even from plugins folder. :S

There should be the link in the Readme, but in any case you can grab it here: http://www.furrythings.com/LAMH.Manual.1.0.pdf

Be sure to check out also the Presets page at http://www.furrythings.com/presets

• beregarberegar Posts: 265
    edited December 1969

beregar said:
    This is probably extremely stupid question but where is the manual? I went through the registration without a hitch and LAMH seems to work fine but I can't find the manual from DS docs or even from plugins folder. :S

There should be the link in the Readme, but in any case you can grab it here: http://www.furrythings.com/LAMH.Manual.1.0.pdf

Be sure to check out also the Presets page at http://www.furrythings.com/presets

That's the thing. I can't find even the readme (I skipped it on initial installation if there was one)! Thanks for the link. I checked the site already for presets (thanks for them as well) but I want to play around a bit first. :)

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

ok if I have two genesis figures in a scene how do I get it to select the 2nd one?

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited December 1969

Ughhh Once again I'm late to the party!! Congratulations AA !! we have hair .... now I'm gona go see if I can play with this.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Hey Alessandro,

Before I buy, I would like to know something about the activation process.

Is the computer required to be online for activation or can I just go to http://www.gm-studio.net/LAMH_activation.aspx and enter my info and get a Activation code that I can save in a text file for myself for future installation? My Windows machine stays off line. I much prefer it that way. Hence why I run this Linux machine online.

Also, can you explain this current limitaion from the manual please?

"Saving and loading LAMH objects to .duf is not currently possible."

Does that mean the LAMH info cannot be saved to a .DUF scene file or a .duf preset used for saving props, characters and such?

Thank you.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx, that means that when you save a daz duf file, if you have LAMH hair in the scene the DUF file does not save them. What you have to do is save the hair first as a preset, then the daz scene. Later, open the duf scene, select the figure the hair was made for, open LAMH again, open presets, and apply the hair and it will reload as you saved it.

Of course if you export the hair as a geometry instead of LAMH objects (for exporting to another program, for example) you should be able to save the object in DUF format.

Hope that helpsl :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx you can export the obj and re-import it as a prop
    I am at present trying to rig a fur coat on my milcat in Carrara using it!, I really MUST learn studio rigging one day, have Blondie's tute
    human head hairs can be props

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Hey Alessandro,

Before I buy, I would like to know something about the activation process.

Is the computer required to be online for activation or can I just go to http://www.gm-studio.net/LAMH_activation.aspx and enter my info and get a Activation code that I can save in a text file for myself for future installation? My Windows machine stays off line. I much prefer it that way. Hence why I run this Linux machine online.

Also, can you explain this current limitaion from the manual please?

"Saving and loading LAMH objects to .duf is not currently possible."

Does that mean the LAMH info cannot be saved to a .DUF scene file or a .duf preset used for saving props, characters and such?

Thank you.

Hi MattyManx, you need to have the computer connected to internet to activate the plugin. Once that's done, you can switch offline and use it.
    About the limitation you mentioned, yes currently it can't save LAMH objects into a .duf: you'll need to load the presets for a figure directly from LAMH.
    We are planning to finish the duf loading/saving code and release an update just after the holidays.

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    ok if I have two genesis figures in a scene how do I get it to select the 2nd one?

You can select one of the object currently available in the Studio viewport by clicking on the button (see attached image) and choose the object you want to work from there.

Screen_Shot.jpg
    777 x 623 - 97K
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

You can select one of the object currently available in the Studio viewport by clicking on the button (see attached image) and choose the object you want to work from there.

yeah that didn't work.. already went through the manual, and tried different things..

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 2012

I seem to be able to get nothing beyond getting errors whenever I try and assign colours to root/tips in Surface tab.

This is with DS4.5.1.6 64-bit, Win 7, 8GB

Create sphere primitive (1m, 10 segments).
    Create LAMH
    Switch view to top down and use Alt and mouse to highlight top mesh
    Change length to 20 and 'grow guide hairs' (at this point moving/zooming randomly loses some/all of hair guides, but that's another issue)
    Export hair, export geometry
    Quit LAMH

Back in DS we have a sphere with a bit of hair - a render at this stage works

Go to surface tab and chnage tip colour, and render - "Error during rendering!" At this point DAZ continually thinks the render engine is active and does so until DS is shut and restarted.

Post edited by SimonJM on
    edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    I seem to be able to get nothing beyond '' whenever I try and assign colours to root/tips in Surface tab.

This is with DS4.5.1.6 64-bit, Win 7, 8GB

Create sphere primitive (1m, 10 segments).
    Create LAMH
    Switch view to top down and use Alt and mouse to highlight top mesh
    Change length to 20 and 'grow guide hairs' (at this point moving/zooming randomly loses some/all of hair guides, but that's another issue)
    Export hair, export geometry
    Quit LAMH

Back in DS we have a sphere with a bit of hair - a render at this stage works

Go to surface tab and chnage tip colour, and render - "Error during rendering!" At this point DAZ continually thinks the render engine is active and does so until DS is shut and restarted.

Hold on, sorry if it's not specified in the manual, but you need to have LAMH open when you render! That's because curves are generated during the render and LAMH needs to be active.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

thanks for the cat preset AM, that was quick. your renders look good.

here is a kitty with a quantity of 160000 hairs at half complexity. The triangle count was just over 1 million this way. I cut down the amount of hairs from the original 700k or for performance reasons. Going to see if I can squeeze a few more hairs in there. Both octane and daz studio only needed about 1.1-1.3 gigs of ram so I have some room to play.

lion.png
    400 x 600 - 283K
    edited December 1969

here is a kitty with a quantity of 160000 hairs at half complexity. The triangle count was just over 1 million this way. I cut down the amount of hairs from the original 700k or for performance reasons. Going to see if I can squeeze a few more hairs in there. Both octane and daz studio only needed about 1.1-1.3 gigs of ram so I have some room to play.

Very good: you might want to reduce the root/tip width when exporting to .obj, so that you get thinner hair. Just an idea...

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Rareth said:

yeah that didn't work.. already went through the manual, and tried different things..

Wha happens when you pick a second figure and click the button to load it? It should display a message that you are loading a new model, and if you confirm that, it will proceed.

edited December 1969

I have exported the geometry to Hexagon and Carrara already
    attaching skeleton and weight painting the hair on the milcat proved VERY laggy but doable
    would be better in studio or Poser if I knew how to create a conforming fur coat
    (what Alessandro does with HIS animals!)
    prolly too much like shrink wrapping to do for Daz figures unfortunately or I could see rigged fur coats for all the animals being available
    as it is, we each gotta do our own for our own animation renders
    I really must read that rigging PDF one day lol!

• KrazyHorse2KrazyHorse2 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Registration was no issue for me but I have a non standard install of Studio. The only issue I had was the directory's under user did not exist.

So if anyone has a problem with this create a folder called under C:/User//My Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio.

The warning popup states that the directory structure should be C:/User//My Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/content, but the folder does not appear to be used. Just put it in to be safe.

edited December 2012

Very good: you might want to reduce the root/tip width when exporting to .obj, so that you get thinner hair. Just an idea...

Actually I did, i changed it from the default 300/250 or so down to 75/50

trying 30/10 and qty of 300k now

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Rareth said:

Wha happens when you pick a second figure and click the button to load it? It should display a message that you are loading a new model, and if you confirm that, it will proceed.

I think the presets are getting in my way, ran into an interesting issue where even though I imported a figure into LAMH I could not apply a preset until that figure was actually selected in Studio...

that might be my problem with multiple genesis figures, I was trying to view the presets as a group.. might have to fiddle some more

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Hi MattyManx, you need to have the computer connected to internet to activate the plugin.

Thank you for the info. I will give it some though.

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Rareth said:
    Rareth said:

I think the presets are getting in my way, ran into an interesting issue where even though I imported a figure into LAMH I could not apply a preset until that figure was actually selected in Studio...

that might be my problem with multiple genesis figures, I was trying to view the presets as a group.. might have to fiddle some more

When you want to load a preset, you first need to select a figure in Studio, and then load the preset for it. This mechanism is going to change in next update, so that it will be easier.

edited December 1969

Actually I did, i changed it from the default 300/250 or so down to 75/50

trying 30/10 and qty of 300k now

Ok. One thing to mention, especially using short fur, is to test different geometry complexity settings upon exporting. No need to have a hair made of 12 quads if it's only one inch long. In that case, setting the geometry complexity af 50%, will reduce the hair to 6 quads and so the resulting .obj mesh will be smaller.

edited December 1969

Registration was no issue for me but I have a non standard install of Studio. The only issue I had was the directory's under user did not exist.

So if anyone has a problem with this create a folder called under C:/User//My Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio.

The warning popup states that the directory structure should be C:/User//My Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/content, but the folder does not appear to be used. Just put it in to be safe.

Thanks for the clarification, that might help other users.

• KrazyHorse2KrazyHorse2 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the clarification, that might help other users.

No problem! Just wish I had time to play. LOL

edited December 2012

AM, yes I put the hair complexity down to half, it doesn't say a value. If i go lower than half it gives me an error that complexity is too low and is setting back to 100%. it then shoots a blank group to studio.

So yeah the numbers I quoted earlier were at half complexity.

here's more lion updates, I reduced the root and tip some more and upped the qty of hair. With 300k hair in OBJ format daz is at 2.4 gigs of ram. when daz is exporting to obj that climbs to 4 gigs.

loaded in octane its about 1.6 of ram (only 500mb Vram used for those who care). only let render for 3 minutes so sharpness could be better.

lion_v2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 279K
    Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    edited December 1969

my rigging needs work
    lots more weightpainting too many stray hairs moved by wrong bones
    but I got it into iClone on the Millenium cat (lynnes ocelot) texture a bit blah

iclonelamh.gif
    640 x 480 - 5M
  • DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 2012

Mattymanx:

You should be able to activate it "offline".

I, too, have a workbox that does not ever connect to internet. Hell, I can't. There is no peripheral installed to connect to the internet (wi-fi card, ethernet card, modem, etc.) even if I wanted to.

But, I just received my activation code by way of offline copy and paste for this laptop (Admin working environment separate from no install Online environment). I still need to log off, reboot, log in to Admin account, fire up DS4, paste in my activation code, and press the authorize button. It seems it should work.

I've registered other software via this technique with no problems.

*Which brings me to my inquiry...

Alessandro:

We can't install our purchased plugin on two separate machines?

I've installed into both this crappy 32 bit Windows XP laptop (for testing), and my workhorse offline PC 64 bit Windows 7.

I retrieved the auto-generated LAMH Serial Number for both machines, and one at a time submitted the required auth codes to your activation website. The first one (32 bit) authorized, and supplied my Activation code, but on the subsequent 64 bit authorization I was denied.

The site claims already activated.

I supplied separate LAMH auto-generated Serial Number that was generated for the 64 bit install. I should receive a separate, and different activation code for my 64 bit box.

I saw nothing about only one machine per purchase, and am a little disappointed if this is indeed fact, and not an installation oversight.

I was already elated that your price point was reasonable enough that I could make a purchase, but if I am bound to one machine, and without even the ability to switch back and forth with only one activated, then I think I will have to be seeking a refund.

That would be a shame. It does look to have promise.

Technically, I have not authorized/activated either one (only installed both/auto-generated a SN).

If push comes to shove, I would rather "activate" my 64 bit Windows 7 box.

Before I go any further, or make any rash decisions, could you please help.

*Also, like beregar, I could not find a readme anywhere with this installation. It did not create one in either the Program File location, nor the My Library location. Is it perhaps hidden somewhere? Can you please specify exactly where it should have been installed at?

Post edited by DaremoK3 on
    edited December 2012

As with the other plugin I released (INFINITO), "officially" 1 copy is bound to 1 computer, BUT, if you need to install it on another computer/laptop so that you can use it on both, please install it also on your 2nd system, email me its serial number and I'll provide you all the data you need to activate it.

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
    edited December 1969

my rigging needs work
    lots more weightpainting too many stray hairs moved by wrong bones
    but I got it into iClone on the Millenium cat (lynnes ocelot) texture a bit blah

It walks! :)
    But that texture need still some work :)

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Rareth said:
    Rareth said:

When you want to load a preset, you first need to select a figure in Studio, and then load the preset for it. This mechanism is going to change in next update, so that it will be easier.

This mechanism doesn't really seem odd to me. It makes sense. That's how shaders work too... you have to select the figure as well as surface, or in LAMH, the figure and the group to apply a preset.

This discussion has been closed.