Guillaume Hair?

randym77randym77 Posts: 272
edited December 1969 in The Commons

It looks very nice, but what is "fibermesh"? Will it work in Poser (without DSON)?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,738
    edited December 1969

As far as Poser and DS are concerned it's just mesh - Fibremesh (probably TM) is the hair system in ZBrush 4, which can be handled like dynamic hair in that application and then baked to geometry for export to OBJ. So it should work in anything that will read the supported file formats.

• randym77randym77 Posts: 272
    edited December 1969

Thanks, that sounds interesting. Into the cart it goes!

• edited December 1969

Will it work in Carrara? I've tried opening it up in C8 pro and the program hangs every time. I've tried reinstalling the hair but it still hangs the program. I know it's supposed to be memory intensive for renders (per the website info), but over 30 minutes just to load tells me somethings wrong.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 2012

Anyone render this yet?

I'm considering buying it, but only if it looks as good as it does in the promos. Conforming short hair has so far been a bane for me, the sides never look right. This looks like it might solve that issue.

If it catches on I'd like to see more styles.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited December 1969

I rendered it. Just slapped it on M4 to check and make sure it worked in Poser. I should probably turn down the lights a little; the render came out a little overexposed. But all in all, I'm happy with the hair. It's perhaps a little thin at the sides, but it's not too noticeable.

guillaume.jpg
    1200 x 857 - 92K
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,256
    edited December 1969

remember that there is a skull cap prop with it to help with the thinness.

• MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

This is cut from larger render to show the hair better.
    The render times increase substantially using UberEnvironment, so you need to pay extra attention to those settings

guilltest.jpg
    285 x 375 - 21K
    edited December 1969

Looks good,

So, do the sides actually conform to the head? This was always the major problem with other short hair, the top would conform to the head, but, the sides would be left flapping uselessly leaving the hair looking like a cheap wig.

I use an UberEnvironment light in Poser but don't find that increases render times. I'll see what happens...

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

So, do the sides actually conform to the head? This was always the major problem with other short hair, the top would conform to the head, but, the sides would be left flapping uselessly leaving the hair looking like a cheap wig.

It conforms very well. It looks to me like this hair uses a trick people have long used with dynamic hair. The skullcap actually sits a little inside the head, at least at the sides/front. That way, you can't see the skullcap and the strands appear to be coming out of the scalp. It does not look like a wig, but the hair does look a little thin at the edges.

edited December 1969

Nice,

It sounds like the answer to my prayers! This is definitely something that should go beyond a one off. I'm sure I heard that Mec4D was working on this too, I'll have to go to her forums and see if she's made any progress.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Help me!!

I just can't get this to work! Where do I install it!? I first installed it to where Genesis is installed, it took ages to load and Poser kept stopping. Then, I uninstalled it, reinstalled it to my Poser library, it still wouldn't load. I tried re-downloading the installer and reinstalled it and when I tried to load it it caused Poser to stop responding so much it crashed! During the installation process it mentioned a desktop shortcut relating to Updating, but, one never appeared.

What am I doing wrong!? I'm using Windows 8, does that make any difference!?

I really like the look of this hair, but it's money down the drain if I can't use it!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Remember DAZ's 30-day money back guarantee. It's not money down the drain yet.

This hair is very high-poly. It takes a long time to load. You have to be patient. If your computer is underpowered, it might cause Poser to crash.

Another possibility is that Windows' UAC is causing a problem. I am on Windows 7, but I assume the issue is the same with Windows 8. Your Poser content should not be installed in the Program Files or Program Files(x86) folders. Those folders are protected for security reasons, and there are all kinds of problems if you install content in them.

edited December 1969

I never had problems before, even with the libraries in Program Files. Also, I wouldn't call an HP Pavilion dv6 with 8GB of RAM and a quad core Intel 2ghz processor underpowered.

I suppose I could try reinstalling Poser and not using Program Files. What I could then do is copy all the stuff from my current Runtime over to the new folders.

It's worth a shot I guess!

CHEERS

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

I never had problems before, even with the libraries in Program Files. Also, I wouldn't call an HP Pavilion dv6 with 8GB of RAM and a quad core Intel 2ghz processor underpowered.

I suppose I could try reinstalling Poser and not using Program Files. What I could then do is copy all the stuff from my current Runtime over to the new folders.

It's worth a shot I guess!

CHEERS

You don't have to re-install Poser. Just move the runtime, and re-attach it like you would any external runtime. Poser itself can be in Program Files.

I don't know what version of Poser you have, but newer versions no longer install the runtime into the Poser file. It's in documents and settings, or some such thing. (It also lets you specify where you want it. I have mine on an external drive.)

(FWIW, my computer has a faster processor and more RAM than yours, and this hair is still very slooooooooooow to load.)

edited December 2012

I reinstalled Poser, which is Poser Pro 2012 by the way, and moved everything to My Documents. Guillaume hair still caused it to grind to a halt, if that's what FibreMesh hair does, they can keep it!

I'm off to get my money back, all it caused was so much needless hassle!

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited December 1969

Oh well, at least you lucky DS users are getting an alternative:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/look-at-my-hair

Have fun!

CHEERS!