Exporting as Wavefront with Face Groups

dfellmethdfellmeth Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I have a pre-existing model that I wanted to break up into different sections of polygons as face groups. I have since done this, and saved it in a Daz scene. I can export this with all of the face groups intact, but for some reason it is just naming all of them as "Group_xx" instead of something like "upper_leg" as I have the face groups named in Daz studio.

Is there a setting combination in the export options that allows me to preserve the face groups, and their names?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,655
    edited December 1969

Click the more options button in the OBJ export dialogue and under Groups check Use existing.

• dfellmethdfellmeth Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If i check "Use existing groups" it does break it down into the face groups I set up, but it names them in the file like I pointed out in the original post... "Group_xx" (Group_01...Group_78)

edited December 1969

Try importing the oriignal into Figure Setup, by right-clicking in the left hand area. Are the groups named correctly there?

edited December 1969

The original does not have the groups in it at all, so they wouldn't show up in the Figure Setup area

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

dfellmeth said:
    If i check "Use existing groups" it does break it down into the face groups I set up, but it names them in the file like I pointed out in the original post... "Group_xx" (Group_01...Group_78)

What I've done, in the past, with cases like that, is use UVMapper (the free version), to change the groups. Open the obj in UVMapper and then Color by group...select the group and reassign it to the proper name. You'll have to save it and reimport it into UVMapper to make sure it got rid of the empty groups...

You could also edit the obj with a text editor...but that tends to be even more 'fiddly'.

edited December 1969

Wish I didn't have to, I already went through the trouble of naming the groups as I made them in Daz Studio

edited December 1969

Ah, sorry - I'd forgotten that these were groups created in DS. DS does distinguish between labels and names - the former are what you see in the interface most of the time. However, in the DS3 script docs at least DzFaceGroup doesn't have a label, just a name, so that doesn't on the face of it explain what you are seeing. I would definitely bug-report it - probably as a bug in the group editor, since pre-existing groups are preserved via import and then export with use existing checked.