January 2017 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Composition

DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,814

New User's Challenge - January 2017

Sponsored by DAZ 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest render challenge!

"Composition"

This challenge is a general render challenge with the focus being on how you compose your image. We're providing you with lots of great links on Composition from a variety of sources. Composition is key to pulling a viewer into your image and leading their eye to where you want them to see things. It's a fundamental skill that we, as artists, not only need to learn, but will continue to hone over the years. Read about and look at the examples, in these articles, for how composition works and how artists, from the Masters to people like you and me, put these compositional guidelines to use to make our pieces more appealing and invite the viewer to look around your image as you intended.

General Composition Rules:
http://design.tutsplus.com/articles/5-fundamental-skills-every-artist-should-master--psd-28054

The Golden Ratio:
https://holycrop.wordpress.com/tag/golden-spiral/
https://designschool.canva.com/blog/what-is-the-golden-ratio/
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/golden-ratio-in-moden-designs/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A3JnWzgXGk

Some Tools for DS and Bryce:
Golden Rules Camera Prop v1.5 by Jaderail http://www.sharecg.com/v/67783/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Golden-Rules-Camera-Prop-v1.5
Golden Rules Composition Helpers for Bryce by David Brinnen Horo http://www.daz3d.com/golden-rules-composition-helpers-for-bryce

Artists, filmmakers and photographers share similar traits in how we present our work, so you will find that a study of the art of photography will help, which is why you see various links to photographic articles included.

Photography Composition:
http://digital-photography-school.com/5-elements-of-composition-in-photography/
http://digital-photography-school.com/5-more-elements-of-composition-in-photography/

Color can be used as a compositional element, especially when you have color contrast. Here are some fundamentals on color:

Color Fundamentals:
http://www.tigercolor.com/color-lab/color-theory/color-theory-intro.htm

Other Types of Contrast:
http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/composition_contrasts/composition_contrasts.htm
http://photoinf.com/General/NAVY/Contrast_and_Framing.htm

Examples of Composition:
http://www.cybercollege.com/comp_ex.htm
http://www.cybercollege.com/comp_ex2.htm
http://www.pinterest.com/dawnshiree/rules-of-composition/

I will be checking in as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need.

For a list of the current challenge rules, please see this thread : Challenge Rules

Closing Date: January 31st 2017

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on

Comments

• Title: the robot war

Made with: Daz3d, iray, postwork (using aftereffect)

animation link:

3212132.gif
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • ZeuxidamusZeuxidamus Posts: 87
    edited January 2017

Ka-pow

no post

KA-POW.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Zeuxidamus on
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,814
    edited January 2017

Very fun start to the thread both of you! You've both done a wonderful job! smiley

@anthonyonggg really fun scene and the video was very nicely done as well smiley
    @Zeuxidamus I really love the POV on this

To both of you, may I ask which composition concepts you are working on/with so I can better focus any feedback to you based on what you are trying to work on this month? (Since you may be focusing on "focus of the image/rule of thirds, golden ratio etc" or "color" etc there are lots of parts to composition so I just want to be sure I am paying attention to the areas you are wishing to work on)

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • DeliriousDelirious Posts: 34
    edited January 2017

Title: Composition Study no. 1

Software used: Daz Studio 4.9, rendered in Iray

Products used: Jill for Genesis 3, Sally Hair, Brady Hair, CS Shorts, CS Top, Ranch Pavilion, Wild Borders

Tried copying the poses from a photo by Dorothea Lange.

Dorothea_Lange.jpg_latest2.jpg
    877 x 850 - 718K
    Post edited by Delirious on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,354

That's looking pretty good so far. Are you considering working on the lighting a bit to give it some depth?

• Here's a start for this month.

jan2017a.png
    800 x 494 - 590K
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    Delirious said:

Products used: Jill for Genesis 3, Sally Hair, Brady Hair, CS Shorts, CS Top, Ranch Pavilion, Wild Borders

The idea to use a photo as a basis is usful to start with, if you wish you could post the photo as well (or a link to it) so we can help with what you want to achieve. I noticed the photo on the table which is a great idea but to use it in a render of you own you need permission to use it of is it royalty free?

On a side note, I would reconsider the pose of the girl in the back, she looks a little like she is having a moment on her own...

• frank0314 said:

That's looking pretty good so far. Are you considering working on the lighting a bit to give it some depth?

Thanks! The lighting is what is giving me fits. If I can get the foreground darker, with more shadow, and the background brighter from the direct sunlight, I think it would be great. Still trying to figure that one out. But I also like impressionistic colors too. Maybe a few different versions to follow.

• Linwelly said:
    Delirious said:

The idea to use a photo as a basis is usful to start with, if you wish you could post the photo as well (or a link to it) so we can help with what you want to achieve. I noticed the photo on the table which is a great idea but to use it in a render of you own you need permission to use it of is it royalty free?

On a side note, I would reconsider the pose of the girl in the back, she looks a little like she is having a moment on her own...

Agreed, the girl in the back seems disconnected. I also want the girl in front to appear to "look" straight back at the viewer. Not there yet on either account.

Thanks for the reminder on copyright. The photo appears to not be subject to copyright.

•  well i dont know what composition did i use?.....i just try to make everythihng in the center!!?......
    i am going to make a 3:00 version of the robot war this month 

Very fun start to the thread both of you! You've both done a wonderful job! smiley

@anthonyonggg really fun scene and the video was very nicely done as well smiley

To both of you, may I ask which composition concepts you are working on/with so I can better focus any feedback to you based on what you are trying to work on this month? (Since you may be focusing on "focus of the image/rule of thirds, golden ratio etc" or "color" etc there are lots of parts to composition so I just want to be sure I am paying attention to the areas you are wishing to work on)

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited January 2017

well i dont know what composition did i use?.....i just try to make everythihng in the center!!?......

I took your image into GIMP and applied the rule of thirds.  The intersection points of the 4 lines are the points of interest.  Two of your characters are either on or very close to these points. 

This is one technique of many that can be used.

anthonyonggg rule of thirds.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 745K
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,814

well i dont know what composition did i use?.....i just try to make everythihng in the center!!?......

I took your image into GIMP and applied the rule of thirds.  The intersection points of the 4 lines are the points of interest.  Two of your characters are either on or very close to these points. 

Yeah I was going to say it seemed like rule of thirds might have been used but it wasn't quite on. That said composition rules in general are made and then purposely broken. But to break them properly practicing them etc is a good thing so you know what you gain by breaking the rule.

Your image is very close to Rule of thirds as Kismet mentioned. You may want to take a peek at this information to learn more about it and how it can be useful and why people use it:
    General Rule of Thirds Information
    Additional Information

Good image to start with, as I think it would be a great fit for the Rule of Thirds (move the camera so that Cheetah's head is at one of the sweet spots). Would also be interesting to play with color contrasts (some of your work in last month's contest used this to good effect) and/or depth of field. In terms of visual interest it might help to have a second subject...an adversary or object for the eye to focus on, aside from the primary character. You could use lighting, rule of thirds, or other composition strategies to highlight this secondary item or character.

Good image to start with, as I think it would be a great fit for the Rule of Thirds (move the camera so that Cheetah's head is at one of the sweet spots). Would also be interesting to play with color contrasts (some of your work in last month's contest used this to good effect) and/or depth of field. In terms of visual interest it might help to have a second subject...an adversary or object for the eye to focus on, aside from the primary character. You could use lighting, rule of thirds, or other composition strategies to highlight this secondary item or character.

I'd already had version b here rendered, but hadn't posted it yet, however I'll see if I can work in some of your thoughts on things. For now I'm just trying to get things set up.

jan2017b.png
    800 x 494 - 608K
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Here's a start for this month.

I'd already had version b here rendered, but hadn't posted it yet, however I'll see if I can work in some of your thoughts on things. For now I'm just trying to get things set up.

Are you planning on varying the poses of the soldiers in the hallway?  Slight variations in where they are looking, where their weapons are pointed, etc.?

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

Are you planning on varying the poses of the soldiers in the hallway?  Slight variations in where they are looking, where their weapons are pointed, etc.?

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

For now, I'm using instances for the soldiers in the background, I'm planing to use DOF once I'm happy with the layout of everything else.

• Delirious said:
    frank0314 said:

Thanks! The lighting is what is giving me fits. If I can get the foreground darker, with more shadow, and the background brighter from the direct sunlight, I think it would be great. Still trying to figure that one out. But I also like impressionistic colors too. Maybe a few different versions to follow.

What type of lighting are you currently using in Iray for your set?  Are you using the Sun-Sky settings or Spotlights and Distant lights?  There are a couple of tricks you can try, but the type of lighting you are using will determine which tricks to use.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited January 2017

Here's a start for this month.

I like that she is lit a bit more to pull the focus to her while the longer darker hallway still tells a story.

Edited to say I didn't see the second one lol.  On the second one I would maybe make her a bit lighter yet to play up the contrast of them coming out of the dark.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on

She is right you are very close to getting the rule of thirds down pretty well. I think you need to find a way to make the figures, especially the girl, stand out from the background a bit more, right now they blend in a bit and are harder to see than if they had some contrast.

Ka-pow

no post

The point of view and the DOF are both very good on this.

Delirious said:

You might put the second girl in a bit more shadow as well so the girl in the front really stands out.

edited January 2017

I think I'm going to have to bow out of the newbie challenges from here on out unless its something I'm really struggling with.  (not saying I'm that good lol). I've learned so much from participating in these the last year, and made some great friends but I've been here long enough that I don't really feel like a newbie any more and its not fair to do some of these challenges that I have gone through once before.  You guys deserve to have the focus on helping you learn new stuff, and I am at the point where I know enough to figure most of it out and know enough people here in the forums that I'm comfortable asking if I run into something specific.  I'll be happy to pop in with unsolicited advice though if you all don't mind lol.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 648

Is this now the WIP or the entrie thread, or both in one?

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

Daybird, this will be the only thread for the time being as we changed from a contest to a challenge, so whatever is posted here is part opf the challenge but this and we will look at different aspects of what happens in here. So no need to worry, thing don't need to be perfect here, this is still to learn and develope your skills.

Hope that answers your question. We are still in process of changing this so there might be more changes to come. But if there are questions please ask.

• Delirious said:
    frank0314 said:

What type of lighting are you currently using in Iray for your set?  Are you using the Sun-Sky settings or Spotlights and Distant lights?  There are a couple of tricks you can try, but the type of lighting you are using will determine which tricks to use.

Just to get the poses right I have used speed lights. Now that I have fiddled with that I am ready to move on to the lighting. I am willing to play with spotlights. Any suggestions?

• Delirious said:

You might put the second girl in a bit more shadow as well so the girl in the front really stands out.

That's a good idea. I want to get strong shadows across teh table as well. Maybe using shadows to create depth but also to tie the figures together. Good thing the weekend is coming up!

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited January 2017
    Delirious said:
    Delirious said:
    frank0314 said:

Just to get the poses right I have used speed lights. Now that I have fiddled with that I am ready to move on to the lighting. I am willing to play with spotlights. Any suggestions?

If you want to go the spotlight route, I would advise giving each girl her own lighting setup.  Get the lighting how you want for each one before worrying about how they interact with each other.  After that you can tweak how the lights interact with each other.  Make sure the headlamp is off on your camera and look through your camera when doing test renders or use the nVidia preview mode of the viewport or you won't see a true representation of what your lighting actually looks like.

Do you know how to lock your camera so that you don't accidently mess it up while you are playing around with the lights?  That happens very easily when going back and forth between Perspective and Camera views and locking your camera in place where you want it helps prevent you from messing up your camera shot.  Just in case not or for anyone who doesn't know already, select your camera in the Parameters tab then you do this:

Once you have your lighting for each girl worked out, then you can figure out how to get them to work with each other by adjusting Luminance or Intensity.  There is always the option of rendering each girl separately as well with cycles, if that ends up helping your image, and then putting them together in either Gimp or Photoshop or any program that can handle .exr files.

Your other option is to give the Sun-Sky mode a try.  I'm actually starting to get the hang of that and getting some good results.  You can get a lot more realistic shadows with that if you play with the right settings.  If you go that route, I can try to talk you through it, but I'm still learning how to use it so I don't know all the ins and outs of using it yet.

edit: added missing phrase for clarity

Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 648
    edited January 2017

After seeing the new underworld trailer, I came in the mood to create a Vampir picture. I startet with V4 and the shadowdancer outfit, but there is a lot work to do. I think I should use different hair and try to make the look of her outfit more like Selenes. ( Ok she has a little more bosom like the original, but thats more my personal taste. ;) )

UW.jpg
    1400 x 2265 - 1M
    Post edited by daybird on
  • ZeuxidamusZeuxidamus Posts: 87
    edited January 2017

Thanks for the input, but mostly everyone likes it so I am wondering should I maybe just enter it as is?

I was really just wondering if I should let it render longer,  I stopped it at 27% cuz I really kind of liked the grittiness

I am also not sure if maybe I should tune the DOF down so the target has a little more definition

Maybe a little more backlight?

Heres two more views of the scene

Ka-pow 3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    KA-POW 2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Zeuxidamus on
  • daybird said:

After seeing the new underworld trailer, I came in the mood to create a Vampir picture. I startet with V4 and the shadowdancer outfit, but there is a lot work to do. I think I should use different hair and try to make the look of her outfit more like Selenes. ( Ok she has a little more bosom like the original, but thats more my personal taste. ;) )

I like the outfit and hair and all the rest!