It's the END OF THE WORLD IN TWO DAYS!!!

wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
edited December 1969 in The Commons

AAAAAAHG! Everyone take cover!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_phenomenon

I love how the Wikipedia caption begins:
"The 2012 phenomenon comprises a range of eschatological beliefs according to which..."

Comments

• JennKJennK Posts: 834
    edited December 1969

OH no if wiki says it's true it must be.. lol I have no doubt something will happen on Dec 21, 2012.. The sun will come up and it will set.. lol

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,113
    edited December 1969

It's just the end of this era. :)

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited December 1969

Whose 21st? ... by the time Americans roll into it, Australians and Kiwis have wandered off onto the 22nd... ;-). Unless it's a phenomenon that sweeps around the world following the light of the sun, like a monster windscreen wiper... which seems just a little _too_ convenient...

"End of the world" at a particular time doesn't really work any more on a worldwide forum... (^_^)h.

• JennKJennK Posts: 834
    edited December 1969

I think it's more of the craziness of it all. So much as been devoted to it and even the Mayan scholars are saying nope it's just the end of this set not the end of the Mayan calendar it rolls over and starts again :cheese:

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

To be fair people go through the end of the world phase a few times a generation. A new prophecy will be found or the dates will shift accordingly so we can do this again in 2019.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

My calendar got destroyed in the hurricane, so I got a new one starting 1/1/2013. Therefore the world hasn't even started yet.

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

Just in case...
    So long folks, it's been nice knowing you.

• creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

you are only safe on the mountain in france, where we meet our alien family and friends.
    Finally, I'm seeing my grandmother after 40 years. :coolsmile:

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,059
    edited December 1969

I'm waiting for the South African observatories to report the approach of Bronson Alpha.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

As noted by NASA if it was a celestal object it would be visable to the naked eye during the daytime by now. We can rule that one out. So prep for Earthquakes, Valcano's, Tidalwaves and other earthly stuff...

• edited December 2012

I vote for the cookie.
    Of course, maybe the Maya Calender was really predicting the end of Twinkies and Hoho's from hostess. It was very close, if so..

(Credit for image: http://funmeme.com/post/2012/12/17/LOL!-Mayan-Calendar-versus-Oreos.aspx )

image.jpg
    644 x 458 - 100K
    Post edited by e-bahr_b0b4c77606 on
  • HeraHera Posts: 1,952
    edited December 1969

Don't worry, we have taken a backup and will restore it on the 22:nd

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,059
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    As noted by NASA if it was a celestal object it would be visable to the naked eye during the daytime by now. We can rule that one out. So prep for Earthquakes, Valcano's, Tidalwaves and other earthly stuff...

There's still the possibility of a truly massive solar flare. Which may or may not end the world, but if it took out the geosynchronous satellites could well end the world as we know it. :-P

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,343
    edited December 1969

I say Yellowstone is gonna go up.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

namffuak said:
    Jaderail said:

There's still the possibility of a truly massive solar flare. Which may or may not end the world, but if it took out the geosynchronous satellites could well end the world as we know it. :-PRushing out to buy lead sheets, will Line my PC soonest. Hmm.. Now for power, Creek down the hill, need a BIG water wheel and a Dynamo. Anyone got those to spare? I cant live without DS3A and DS4.5.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,775
    edited December 1969

21st is my birthday, guess it's gonna go off with a really big bang this year. ;-P

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Methinks this video might be appropriate:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

edited December 1969

Byrdie said:
    21st is my birthday, guess it's gonna go off with a really big bang this year. ;-P

Happy Birthday :)

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

you are only safe on the mountain in france, where we meet our alien family and friends.

I was watching the France 24 debate earlier and they were discussing this latest global lunacy. But the really hilarious thing was that they showed a clip of some of the people who have gone to that village in France to wait for a spaceship to come out of the mountain and save them from the world's end. And one group they showed were all wearing tin-foil hats!!!!. I couldn't stop laughing. I know we all joke about tin-foil hats on the net, but these nutters actually had them on! Unbelievable!

Just goes to show, PT Barnum knew more than most philosphers. There's a sucker born every minute.

mac

edited December 1969

maclean said:

I was watching the France 24 debate earlier and they were discussing this latest global lunacy. But the really hilarious thing was that they showed a clip of some of the people who have gone to that village in France to wait for a spaceship to come out of the mountain and save them from the world's end. And one group they showed were all wearing tin-foil hats!!!!. I couldn't stop laughing. I know we all joke about tin-foil hats on the net, but these nutters actually had them on! Unbelievable!

Just goes to show, PT Barnum knew more than most philosphers. There's a sucker born every minute.

mac

PLEEZE tell me you have a link to this on YouTube or something!

• edited December 1969

maclean said:

I was watching the France 24 debate earlier and they were discussing this latest global lunacy. But the really hilarious thing was that they showed a clip of some of the people who have gone to that village in France to wait for a spaceship to come out of the mountain and save them from the world's end. And one group they showed were all wearing tin-foil hats!!!!.

Wait.....
    You mean the tin foil hats aren't just the latest in french fashion? I've been wearing one all day, thinking I was being tres chic, or something like that.
    Dammit!

edited December 1969

We all now know what Ebahr wants for Christmas!

REYNOLDS WRAP!

edited December 2012

wancow said:
    maclean said:

mac

PLEEZE tell me you have a link to this on YouTube or something!

Well, since it's you, I went and found it. The tin-foil brigade are at 12.50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmovKO6J1L0

Here's a screencap. She's demonstrating how to hold your arms out and 'feel the energy'. LOL.

mac

f24.jpg
    646 x 434 - 86K
    Post edited by maclean on
  • edited December 2012

wancow said:
    We all now know what Ebahr wants for Christmas!

REYNOLDS WRAP!

Can I get that in bulk? So many styles I just need to try..The cone hat, the upside down boat hat, the bowl cut..
    It's the fashion accessory of the century!

Edit to add instructions for anyone that isn't already enlightened:
    How To: Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie An Effective, Low-Cost Solution To Combating Mind-Control
    http://zapatopi.net/afdb/build.html

tin-foil-hat.jpg
    608 x 489 - 73K
    Post edited by e-bahr_b0b4c77606 on
    edited December 1969

maclean said:

Here's a screencap. She's demonstrating how to hold your arms out and 'feel the energy'. LOL.

mac

THat flipping rawks!!!

• GeroblueJimGeroblueJim Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

I predict their predictions about the end won't come true. :-)

Post edited by GeroblueJim on
    edited December 1969

Be careful, with statements like that, you might be starting a religion! :P

edited December 1969

They didn't actually say why they were wearing the hats, but I suspect it's because of the mountain. It's supposedly an 'inverse mountain' - a geological freak which has its roots in the air and its tip underground. It also has strong magnetic properties which they believe will defend them from the upcoming doom.

Since I live 6,000ft up a mountain, I'm hoping mine is magnetic too. I need to go and finish my latest hat now. It's triple-strength with ear-muffs!

:)

mac

• GeroblueJimGeroblueJim Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

wancow said:

Be careful, with statements like that, you might be starting a religion! :P

Yeah, that worries me to. But I'll tell them they have to journey back to their homes. I'm not the Cool Dude they are looking for.

• edited December 1969

maclean said:

Since I live 6,000ft up a mountain, I'm hoping mine is magnetic too. I need to go and finish my latest hat now. It's triple-strength with ear-muffs!
    mac

I was editing my last post as you posted (must have been alien mind rays causing it) but figured I should post this information here too... I wouldn't want you crafting your hat without it providing the proper safety and defense for you.

How To: Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie An Effective, Low-Cost Solution To Combating Mind-Control
    http://zapatopi.net/afdb/build.html

Don't worry, the instructions are available in PDF format for easy printing, also.