Victoria 4.2/4.5 Question

edited December 1969 in New Users

Okay, so now that I am more acclimated to the software, I am starting to create, but the basic Genisis tools seem somewhat limited in terms of creating various and realistic people. So I started looking at skin textures, and it seems that the Victoria/Michael 4.5 is probably the most cost efficient in the long run based on everything it offers.

HOWEVER, looking over alot of the offered skin textures, it says things like "Victoria 4.2 Morphs ++/Base" required.

My question is...will these 4.2 stuff work on 4.5? If so, do I still need to download the Victoria 4.2 Base and Morphs++.

Just want to know all the facts before I make a costly purchase.

Thanks alot!

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

Okay what you're looking at are called character morphs. To make the character shape you would need Victoria 4.2 and morphs++ but to just use the skin texture that comes with the character your golden. The V4 textures will load and work on the Genesis character straight out-of-the-box. You would only need the V4 and the packages that go with it if you wanted to create the character and use the texture the way it looks completely. Just using the texture on Genesis does not require anything except the texture in the pack.
    I hope this helps some.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Okay what you're looking at are called character morphs. To make the character shape you would need Victoria 4.2 and morphs++ but to just use the skin texture that comes with the character your golden. The V4 textures will load and work on the Genesis character straight out-of-the-box. You would only need the V4 and the packages that go with it if you wanted to create the character and use the texture the way it looks completely. Just using the texture on Genesis does not require anything except the texture in the pack.
    I hope this helps some.

Thanks alot Jaderail, but Im still confused.

First off...I made a mistake in the first post.....I meant Vicoria 5, not 4.5.

Ill try to make my questions as clear as possible to avoid confusion.

Okay, say you get the Victoria 5 bundle, and then you want to get this....

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/people/morphs/v4-elite-ethnic-faces

...which states you need the Victoria 4.2 Moprhs, which requires the 4.2 base. My question is....even if you have Victoria 5, would you still need to buy BOTH the 4.2 Morphs and 4.2 Base to use that?

Also, if you have Victoria 5, is it compatible with the Victoria 4 stuff?

Thanks!

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The V4 Elite Ethnic Faces are morphs only, no textures are included. To use them on V4.2 you would need the V4 Morphs++. To use them on Genesis/V5, you would need the V4 Shape for Genesis and the Genesis Generation X plugin. Textures for V4 will work on V5 with nothing else, but morphs do not.

The Genesis equivalent of the V4 Elite Ethnic Faces is http://www.daz3d.com/shop/ethnicity-for-genesis-bundle
    Again, that is just the shapes, no textures.

edited December 1969

Oh, Victoria 4 and Victoria 5 are two different figures V5 cannot directly use any of the V4 sets except for the textures. You can use a plug-in to convert Victoria 4 to be used with Genesis. The Gen X plug-in will convert all generation 4 figures and morphs to work on the Genesis figure. But if you just wish to work with V5 then only by Genesis and V5 items.

• edited December 1969

I think I got it for the most part.

Here is my main hangup....in the long run, I want to create some sports related type images....boxing is one of the main ones, so I was looking over different textures that would benefit me in that endeavor. I noticed wet maps to give the characters the look of sweat, but none of the characters seem to have nipples, at least not with Genesis alone.

So, a couple more questions pertaining to that...

1) If I buy say, the Michael 5.0 kit, is there any way I can use the wet maps, even though there are none specificlly for 5, just 4 and Genesis?

2) How do you do get the nipples on the characters? I noticed there is a tool you can change the colors, but when I do this, they always coming out looking completely unrealistic.

3) Kind of off topic, but are you allowed to download and use stuff from a place like sharecg.com? I downloaded some stuff and tried to get it to work, but it wouldnt. They are .duf files skin files for Genesis. If it is allowed, does anyone have any idea how to use them?

Thank you.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825
    edited December 1969

1) you can use the Michael 5 shape with Michael 4 UV mapping, allowing you to use an M4 character map and the wet maps. You can't, at least for now, layer two different UV sets so you couldn't apply the wet maps over an actual m5 texture set.

2) Nipple morphs are in the Genesis Evolution Body Morphs.

3) .yes, ShareCG is a legitimate source of content - as long as the creator follows the rules and EULAs, at least. .duf files are presets, you should just need to apply them from the Content Library pane or by File>Merge with the base figure (or clothing, or whatever) selected in the scene.

• edited December 1969

Thanks Richard.

With number 2 though...I have the Genesis Evo Body Morphs, and I see the nipple morphs, but you cant change the color from what I see. You can change size and width and stuff like that, but they still appear to be invisible on the skin. Im probably doing something wrong, but I dont know what.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825
    edited December 1969

Right, colour would be the textures or adjusting the Diffuse colour of the 2_Nipples material in the Surfaces pane.

• edited December 1969

Okay, so I bought the Victoria 4.2 Pro bundle and....NONE OF IT IS WORKING!

For one, its a complete clusterfudge that you have to download so many files separately.

Secondly. does anyone know what I am doing wrong? The installer comes up, asks me to specify the path, and Im guess thats where I get lost, but there is absolutely no instructions that come with it that I see to tell me where to put this stuff?

As usual, any help is appreciated.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

The Victoria 4.2 morphs etc won't work with Genesis without using GenX, a seperate program; the textures will work, the clothes will work using Autofit which comes with DS4 but there are some limitations.
    You would have been better off getting the V5 bundle if you are using Genesis.

• edited December 1969

Thanks for the info...but this is becoming really ridiculous.

Do they just assume people will know that?

So basically, I just wasted $100 on something that wont even work, and if I want it to work, I have to pay another $32 for an entirely different program?

Ugh....

• edited December 1969

I just sent support and email, and hoping I can get a refund.

This was exactly why I was afraid to buy anything haha.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 2012

Daz have a 30 days return policy.
    I'm not sure what you mean by another program?
    If you are just starting out it may be best to just stick to Genesis stuff until you have more of a handle on things.
    There are som very good free morph sets for Genesis
    Heres a link to one set
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/58198/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/DieTryings-182-V4-Morphs-for-Genesis

and heres the thread with Ram's set in
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6841/

Post edited by scorpio on
    edited December 1969

He is refering to Gen X as the other Program. I did point out that that V4 Shape products would not work on the V5 figure without Gen X.

• edited December 1969

Yeah...thanks for all the help thus far.

Im still really confused, but I expected as much.

• edited December 1969

Daz have a 30 days return policy.
    I'm not sure what you mean by another program?
    If you are just starting out it may be best to just stick to Genesis stuff until you have more of a handle on things.
    There are som very good free morph sets for Genesis
    Heres a link to one set
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/58198/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/DieTryings-182-V4-Morphs-for-Genesis

and heres the thread with Ram's set in
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6841/

The main issue Im having is I dont know how to get those things to work.

For instance, I downloaded this...

http://www.sharecg.com/v/66225/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Skin-Material-for-Black-and-White-Skin-(DS4.5)

But couldnt get it to work. I know they are presets, but Im not sure where to put them or how to get them to work. Looked for instructions but couldnt find any that helped.

edited December 1969

As you are a Newish User I highly recomend you stay with Genesis only content until you get a better idea how things work. Read some threads in the different forums that sound interesting. Ask some questions before you leap, and wait until you are sure you understand the answers before you move ahead to new things. You will save both time and Money. I've been at this for over 4 years and I'm still learning as I go.