3D World Says DAZ Plans for Generation 6 in 2013 [UPDATE] Well, now it's here!

andolaurinaandolaurina Posts: 667
edited June 2013 in The Commons

Today's 3D World Advent Calendar item includes DAZ Studio 4.5 and Buccaneer Basic for free.

Anyhow, at the end of the advertisement, I mean "article", it mentions:

"With a massive Content Marketplace and plans to release generation 6 for the top figures in 2013, you’ll want to keep up with them."

Generation 6 in 2013. Serious groan. Why are we bothering to buy generation 5 items if you're getting ready to make them obsolete? Will they be part of the existing Genesis gene pool or is that going obsolete as well.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

CLICK HERE FOR 3D WORLD ARTICLE

Ful text:
DAY 17: FREE 3D WORKSPACE WITH FREE MODEL!
DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro is a piece of 3D software which has this year been available to users free of charge. In today’s giveaway you can download this software and also get a model pack free (worth $26.95 on Daz’s Content Marketplace).

You can also download Genesis Michael Victoria Combo Bundle for $62.48 and Genesis Starter Bundle for $19.98 – both at half the retail price!

Take advantage of today’s DAZ 3D offers here.

DAZ 3D is most known for its popular line of articulated 3D figures and the large, enthusiastic community that has developed around them. A variety of other support content is available including such categories as vehicles, buildings, trees and plants, furniture, and weapons.

Some of the most recognisable figures include – Victoria 5, Michael 5, Stephanie 5, and Hiro 5. Starting from these figures Genesis Technology in DAZ Studio gives you the power to morph and create where you want. Or you can use your favourite characters in other popular applications such as POSER 9.

With a massive Content Marketplace and plans to release generation 6 for the top figures in 2013, you’ll want to keep up with them.

Post edited by andolaurina on

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 2012

There is a thread in members only about this and there I said this.

it's a typo(i'm pretty confident), if you look at the article it has a few others as well. It's way too soon for Gen6 and others chimed in and said the same thing. don't think anyone offical cleared the air though.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/13496/

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • andolaurinaandolaurina Posts: 667
    edited December 1969

Glad to hear it's likely a typo. I'll head over to members-only. Maybe DAZ will clarify.

edited December 2012

yeah I hope they say something quick, if people speculate that a new generation will start soon it will cause a lot of fear and confusion. Will my genesis content work? Will I be able to use my V4 poses? Does it work in poser? When will we get the next generation dog?

Oh wait, that last one is still valid :)

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2012

I am only saying it could well be a typo as well, I really do not know, but it does seem somewhat unlikely

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

It better be a typo because if it isn't how come that magazine found out before anybody else! That alone would be upsetting.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

I'm not expecting any obsolescence unless I hear the words, "Genesis 2"!

edited December 1969

A DAZ employee should comment.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,512
    edited December 1969

Even if true, it's not a reason to panic, LOL. Genesis, while a great leap forward is far from perfect. I would welcome a new/better figure based on the same tech and hopefully retaining the same capabilities that we have now with genesis, meaning using Gen 3 and gen 4 content and morphs.

edited December 1969

Even if true, it's not a reason to panic, LOL. Genesis, while a great leap forward is far from perfect. I would welcome a new/better figure based on the same tech and hopefully retaining the same capabilities that we have now with genesis, meaning using Gen 3 and gen 4 content and morphs.

But only if you buy all the plugins and pro pack. Who wants to go through all that so soon? no one said genesis was perfect, but why not a point revision like Vickie 4 had?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited December 1969

...crikey there are plugins (including a couple of my faves) that still haven't been updated for 4.0 not much less 4.5.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

If they were to make Genesis 2.0 then I would imagine they'd be going for poser compatible figure (Without use of DSON) But as far as Victoria 6 and Michael 6... It seems a little too early. PA's really have only just began supporting generation 5! A lot more can be done with Genesis and Generation 5, meaning there is still alot of money to be made from it. If they rushed into another figure/generation they potentially loose all that money.

BTW Genesis has technically been using the "Points" for a while now. It's received changes over the course of DS4.5 Betas (Each time a new beta arrives, a upgraded genesis also arrives along with it) But really, I doubt Daz will make Generation 6 until at very least 2014.

The last thing they'd want is to discourage all the content creators (PA's) who have ONLY JUST BEGAN to create for Genesis/Gen5 by releasing a new figure and new generation so soon.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,798
    edited December 1969

We're not done with Gen 5 just yet. According to a member in the PC Members forum, Freak 5 is already beginning to pop-up in the ReadMe's.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I found that one a while ago. The day I posted the link to it's read me, was the day they removed it hours later lol

edited December 1969

No DAZ3D Comment?

edited December 1969

Course not. WHat will happen is PC members get a 6 hour sneak peak the day before Gen6 launches.

edited December 1969

...that is if there are any left when the dust finally settles.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 6,992
    edited December 1969

I'm guessing it is a very oddly stated misprint, but at this point nothing would surprise me.
    Actually, something Magento related actually working correctly the first time... yeah, that might, but Gen 6 already makes no sense.
    Aside from that, thanks for reminding me about 3D world's advent thingie... I got some nice Icelandic textures now... Have nooo idea what I'd ever use them for, but who knows... one day I might need images of black soil.

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

When will we get the next generation Cow?

Fixed your typo there for ya :coolsmile:

• DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473
    edited December 1969

No worries folks. Even if Generation 6 figures came out, the cool thing is from here on with Genesis, everything is compatible. ie: Gen 6 figure with Gen 4 boots and Gen 5 Supersuit. :D

A generation 6 figure? Maybe Moore's Law applies here as well. ;)

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

DzFire™ said:
    No worries folks. Even if Generation 6 figures came out, the cool thing is from here on with Genesis, everything is compatible. ie: Gen 6 figure with Gen 4 boots and Gen 5 Supersuit. :D

I'm pretty confident you're correct... Genesis is, after all the single most advanced figure ever put onto the consumer market... by a factor of what? Ten? More maybe? I love those artists on CGTalk, they do amazing work, but as much as they might look down on those of us who work with this figure, very few if any of them could put together a work of art like Genesis...

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    DzFire™ said:

I'm pretty confident you're correct... Genesis is, after all the single most advanced figure ever put onto the consumer market... by a factor of what? Ten? More maybe? I love those artists on CGTalk, they do amazing work, but as much as they might look down on those of us who work with this figure, very few if any of them could put together a work of art like Genesis...

And while they whine and moan about it...secretly, in the dead of night they sit there playing with it drooling...mumbling to themselves...'Why the hell didn't I think of this...'

• DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    And while they whine and moan about it...secretly, in the dead of night they sit there playing with it drooling...mumbling to themselves...'Why the hell didn't I think of this...'
    :))

Me included
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,017
    edited December 1969

The new Gwen hair product says it supports
    Genesis 2:
    Victoria 6

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Genesis 2:
    Victoria 6

o_O

If this one isn't FULLY backwards compatible, I just might have to slap somebody...

in the face...

with a chair.

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited December 1969

so the rumors are true that V6 was and is in development. :) I wonder about the explanation why so quickly change from 5 to 6?
    guess generation 6 figures have a better rig and are back separate meshes and not a shapeshifter ???
    will the gen6 finally be usefull and export with morphs in the highend packages,
    we may have opensubdiv + realtime rendering in studio soon?
    for me the genesis idea was great and fun, until you know you can't create a workable fishtale from the base figure. (leg to tale morph).

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,296
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    barbult said:
    Genesis 2:
    Victoria 6

o_O

If this one isn't FULLY backwards compatible, I just might have to slap somebody...

in the face...

with a chair.

Large heavy chair.

edited June 2013

Vaskania said:
    barbult said:
    Genesis 2:
    Victoria 6

o_O

in the face...

with a chair.

Large heavy chair.
    ...or a frozen 15 kilo Lake Sturgeon

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Vaskania said:
    barbult said:
    Genesis 2:
    Victoria 6

o_O

in the face...

with a chair.

Large heavy chair.
    ...or a frozen 15 kilo Lake Sturgeon
    LMAO oh man that brings me back to slapping people in irc with a trout.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    barbult said:
    Genesis 2:
    Victoria 6

o_O

in the face...

with a chair.

Large heavy chair.

Or a sofa ...

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,017
    edited December 1969

I guess Gen 6 is why they've been dumping Gen 5 in the 70% off fast grab for days.