Fenric's Ivy Gen bug on Mac (reveresed inversion?) where is it?

wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I am looking for the bug Fenric tracked down that flips the IVY GENERATOR leaves on Mac. I cannot find it in the bug tracker.

Primivol has a similar issue. On Mac the light direction is flipped (Z-axis is correct, but X is reversed and Y is reversed. It may be the same bug or caused by the same compiling issue that Fenric described.

Maybe it is why all the Runtime Browser items in a folder on Mac are reverse alphabetical...?

Is Fenric around? I would like to add my Primivol, info to that bug...

(not the any bugs have been acknowledged in over 3 months, but whatever...)

Comments

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

I don't recall any type of issue being logged in the Carrara bug tracker regarding the ivy generator.

If memory serves, there were two issues with the ivy generator. The first being that the image maps for the textures needed to be rotated 180 degrees.
    The second was Mac specific, and involved the ivy growing on, or facing, the wrong side of the polygon normals. This problem was never completely corrected (although Fenric made several attempts to do so). The older version of his plug-in works much better than the current version (if you first reverse the normals of your base object).

Perhaps Primivol has a similar issue with normals on the Mac version of Carrara.

I see 21 bug tracker issues logged by Fenric, but none seem to be directly related to this.

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    I don't recall any type of issue being logged in the Carrara bug tracker regarding the ivy generator.

If memory serves, there were two issues with the ivy generator. The first being that the image maps for the textures needed to be rotated 180 degrees.
    The second was Mac specific, and involved the ivy growing on, or facing, the wrong side of the polygon normals. This problem was never completely corrected (although Fenric made several attempts to do so). The older version of his plug-in works much better than the current version (if you first reverse the normals of your base object).

Perhaps Primivol has a similar issue with normals on the Mac version of Carrara.

I see 21 bug tracker issues logged by Fenric, but none seem to be directly related to this.

I never put a bug in against Carrara, because the trouble is with MacOS: the trigonometric functions do not work the way they are documented. I tried to work around it, but I don't understand the math well enough to make it right in all cases.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Fenric said:
    de3an said:

I never put a bug in against Carrara, because the trouble is with MacOS: the trigonometric functions do not work the way they are documented. I tried to work around it, but I don't understand the math well enough to make it right in all cases.
    Is it not something that should/could be corrected in Carrara? As far as I know, this bug has always effected Primivol, but now matched with the Ivy Gen issue, can't Carrara's Mac compiler be adjusted to correct for this?

edited December 1969

Fenric said:

Is it not something that should/could be corrected in Carrara? As far as I know, this bug has always effected Primivol, but now matched with the Ivy Gen issue, can't Carrara's Mac compiler be adjusted to correct for this?

The Ivy Generator code is generating upside-down leaves - it's not Carrara's fault.

The compiler is part of XCode, produced by Apple. The calculations for normals and rotations need to be handled differently on a Mac than on a PC, but I am vague enough on what that code is doing to make it work at all, let alone change it: it's all long chains of cosines and tangents and strange chains of multiplying various things together over and over again.

My understanding is that the original, stand-alone Ivy Generator has the same upside-down leaf problem on the Mac, and always has.

edited December 1969

I see.... Then it is not exactly the "same" bug, although it might be related, or might not.

In your opinion should I bother with any sort of report for My Primivol reversed X/Y bug?

edited December 1969

I see.... Then it is not exactly the "same" bug, although it might be related, or might not.

In your opinion should I bother with any sort of report for My Primivol reversed X/Y bug?

You might have more luck going to Inagoni directly... I've got a fairly critical bug from September that isn't even acknowledged yet.

edited December 1969

Fenric said:

You might have more luck going to Inagoni directly... I've got a fairly critical bug from September that isn't even acknowledged yet.
    Ok. Thank you. <3</p>