How Long Is A Piece Of Art?

BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
edited December 1969 in New Users

Apologies for the title of this thread, but it is one of those "How long's a piece of string?" questions.

I am asking purely out of interest, but how long do you guys typically spend setting up a render?

Recently I have found that I am more willing to spend time setting up a nice piece of art, but sometimes I just want to get something done just for the sake of getting something done. Those pieces take about two hours, but a long one can take a couple of days.

How about you?

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ditto, a piece of art can take days, a quick scene can be done in hours. That is how I work.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 2012

Few minutes to a few days. Had a few that took a few weeks. But never again. Usually few hours though.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,795
    edited December 1969

I thought you meant dimensions
    did a 16000 by 8000 render once

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Oh good, I'm not the only one then! :lol:

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yeah, anything from hours to weeks, depending on how complicated it is and how important it is to get it just so.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Yeah, anything from hours to weeks, depending on how complicated it is and how important it is to get it just so.

I've said before that I want to spend longer on the details, which is why I asked this. Too often I just put a main subject and some kind of environment, and call it quits. I like my renders (usually at least) but after looking at them for a moment they begin to lose their appeal. The best artwork by the best artists keep you looking, or make you look twice, seeing something different each time.
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

A few months ago I got fedup with trying to get 3 or 4 images out a month now I am working on one image which I have been doing since the end of last month and I reakon I will finsh sometime in July next year if I am lucky. :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Hmm, I have never had one take quite that long, although my original Irish village image did take a month or so to reach completion, but it has several different vignettes within the scene, each of which could be an image of their own, if zoomed into.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=909055&user_id=12932&np;&np;

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I don't think I have ever spent longer than a week on one render. And it was for a contest. And then it never even placed. It did not discourage me, but I was a bit disappointed.

edited December 1969

I think finding the right balance between time and end result is tough, images I spend the most time on often end up not being worth the time. It also depends on if it's just for personal satisfaction or being shared. Spending too much time on details no one else cares about can be a bummer. If its only for you thats fine, but you don't want to spend time where it's not appreciated if your doing a commission, entering a contest and such.

A lot of time we artist fuss over stuff no one else notices.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

larsmidnatt that is a good point. Details do make for a dynamic image and it is a fine balance between time and what impact the details have if any. For me for the above mentioned project is for me to print big so detail is everything.

• kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

I've been working on a piece since about april 2008 and it won't be finished for at least another year or when I finally get a computer that can handle what i need it to. Otherwise anything from 40 hours and upwards.

Cheers
    GG

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

I thought you wanted to know how long Jaderail should make his piece of spaghetti.

How long did it take to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel? It takes as long as it takes. It can be short or long.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

Since I'm still in the experimental and technique building stage of the software generally only a few minutes because for each render I'm only concentrating on learning a single technique but I can see that once all the techniques are put together it will take much longer to put a render together.

• cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

I remember spending two weeks just in the DTE for one image (terrain + volumetric cloud spheres :-P).

edited December 1969

kiwi_gg said:
    I've been working on a piece since about april 2008 and it won't be finished for at least another year or when I finally get a computer that can handle what i need it to. Otherwise anything from 40 hours and upwards.

Cheers
    GG

Wow, that's a LONG time! Me, I have been working on a piece for about three months, but I'm not even sure I'll ever finish it.
  • kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

@Blum, sure is, but it does involve some serious Bryce modelling.

Cheers
    GG

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited December 2012

This took a month to set up. The figures were posed relatively easy enough. What I spent a lot of time on was finding the right kind of lighting and "film stock" (I render in Reality/LuxRender) and once that was sorted out I needed to find a background/set that worked :P

Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited December 1969

This took a month to set up. The figures were posed relatively easy enough. What I spent a lot of time on was finding the right kind of lighting and "film stock" (I render in Reality/LuxRender) and once that was sorted out I needed to find a background/set that worked :P

Very nice render.

My current one has taken about two hours so far and it's nowhere near done. I've just basically selected the character settings for Genesis and put some clothes on her because she was feeling a bit cold! Took me ages to find clothes that were suitable for what I wanted.

edited December 1969

When was in college I had a professor show us a piece of art that took him 6 years. Intricate piece, nicely done but no one really understood why dedicate so long to it. To most it wasn't really worth looking at for more than a minute. At that point I realized I wanted to be careful with how much time I invest in pieces.

Getting something printed, yeah makes sense to spend extra time on it for that peace of mind knowing your best is out there.

My current one has taken about two hours so far and it's nowhere near done. I've just basically selected the character settings for Genesis and put some clothes on her because she was feeling a bit cold! Took me ages to find clothes that were suitable for what I wanted.

This is why I am slowly getting back into modelling. I find I spend more time shopping, installing, fixing, hacking and mashing purchased content together than it would take to make it. ( if I got back to speed in creating things.) Will be a few months if not several before I will be of any use, but I hate it when the time it takes to get the pieces sorted adds a substantial amount of time to a project.

edited December 1969

When was in college I had a professor show us a piece of art that took him 6 years. Intricate piece, nicely done but no one really understood why dedicate so long to it. To most it wasn't really worth looking at for more than a minute. At that point I realized I wanted to be careful with how much time I invest in pieces.

Getting something printed, yeah makes sense to spend extra time on it for that peace of mind knowing your best is out there.

This is why I am slowly getting back into modelling. I find I spend more time shopping, installing, fixing, hacking and mashing purchased content together than it would take to make it. ( if I got back to speed in creating things.) Will be a few months if not several before I will be of any use, but I hate it when the time it takes to get the pieces sorted adds a substantial amount of time to a project.
    My modelling skills a bit like Naomi Campbell. Very thin and not very skillful.