Break apart object

edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I've imported a free 3d model I've found, a tractor. However it is all one object. I thought I could group the various points/faces and assign names to them (ie tire, seat, steering wheel) but I can't seem to do that?

The other alternative is to break the one object into several, but that also does not seem possible? Or is it?

What I would really like to do is group each of the 'parts' of the model and export them individually so I can cut them out on a 3d router.

Can I do this in hexagon?

Thanks,
Martan

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Yes, easily. Select the polys that you want to extract from the main model, then go to Vertex Modelling > Extract. That will create a new object for you, and remove it from the original.

You could also just paste the selection as a new object without removing it from the main model.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Just to add to JimmyC - you can name the new separate meshes in the properties panel. If you need to export each one as a separate .obj, hide the rest.

If you are going to use it in a render engine such as Carrara which recognizes groups, you have no need to export each part as a separate .obj.