BishyT's 3D sketchbook... (Current: Vocaloid SeeU Outfit)

TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
edited March 2013 in The Commons

So recently i've become slightly addicted to morphing Genesis in Zbrush. Up until now i've been mostly posting these over on Tumblr, but I figured I might as well show some of the stuff i've been doing here. :)

To start off, my first serious attempt at sculpting my own face morph. It wasn't perfect by any means; I had to use an Evolution morph as well as one of Hitomi's morphs to fix the eyes a little bit, but aside from that it turned out well. This was directly based off the Soldier from Team Fortress 2. Michael 5 was used as the base.

Post edited by TheNathanParable on

Comments

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 1969

Next up is a character I sculpted for Michael 5 directly based off the artwork of Spookeedoo. I actually recorded the process of creating this morph and the very basic textures. You can watch that, including all of the newbie mistakes I made, right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhTQyjpYczw

1353650977.spookeedoo_grumpy_.jpg
    473 x 588 - 107K
    SpookeedooGrumpyTest.png
    1000 x 1000 - 651K
    edited December 1969

And because I don't want to get into trouble for multiple posting, i'm gonna condense the last two into one post. First up was a Barbie face morph I sculpted for the base Genesis. Her body started off as Hitomi's and was subsequently morphed into oblivion using both the Evolution morphs and the Genesis Body Morph Resource Kit 1.

And lastly, my latest attempt at face sculpting, a BelBel inspired face for Hitomi! I did this mostly with Zigraphix in mind, as both me and her have been wanting a modern BelBel for a while. :D The first render has Raytrace bounces set to 1 (essentially turning on ambient occlusion), while the second render has raytrace bounces set to 0 (essentially turning off ambient occlusion, giving it a slightly more toony look). If somebody could make an eyeball morph that makes the iris horizontally smaller (similar to what SnowSultan's Anime Eyes did with Aiko4), I would love them forever. :D

BellaHitomiTest2.png
    1000 x 1000 - 476K
    BellaHitomiTest.png
    1000 x 1000 - 561K
    BarbieTest.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 404K
  • zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

Kawaii! :D

I might be able to do the iris morph you're talking about-- it's a separate bit of mesh in the figure, as I found while tinkering around with Genesis morphs in Blacksmith3D.

Time to dig up that reference list of anime/manga style faces, I think! :D

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

I have nothing at all to add to this thread save to say:
    Hole Ridden Bovine! Caramba! Mein Giddyup! Wow...

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 2012

Gorgeous work! What's your tag at tumblr?

edit: Don't worry I found it...

Post edited by Pendraia on
    edited December 1969

Yup, my tumblr is "BishyT". I would link directly to it, but it is a little bit NSFW at times. :P

edited December 1969

Another Hitomi morph, this time based off the character of Lilly from "Katawa Shoujo", specifically as she's portrayed by artist/animator Mike Inel.

Reference image: http://mikeinel.deviantart.com/art/Lilly-281236039

It's not perfect. The thing that makes it difficult is that objects appear considerably more "flat" in Zbrush, even with "Perspective" turned on. I wish there was some way to adjust the FOV in Zbrush to be similar to Daz's.

Oh, and I went a bit nuts in photoshop. xD

Hitomi_LillyTest.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 586K
    Hitomi_LillyTest.png
    1000 x 1000 - 679K
  • JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,698
    edited December 1969

You continue to be a master at making studio content that doesn't look like studio content, that lets people take their work to a place where it won't instantly be dismissed as "poser 3d" and not "real 3d", that's a special gift to give to people.

edited December 1969

My attempt at recreating the character of Arcus from the erotic webcomic "Epic Loads". The eyes were incredibly difficult to get right (especially rigging wise...). At one point I lost all my work and had to start again from scratch.

And to clarify, I don't know what his skin/hair/eye colour is meant to be, as the comic is black and white. He uses Hiro5's textures, the Genesis Eyebrows, and M5's Elite Hair.

ArcusTest.png
    1000 x 1000 - 747K
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,505
    edited December 1969

I really like seeing these cartoony faces, they're so different and fun looking. Have you tried giving them expressions or would they be very distorted because of the heavy morphing?

Great job!

• rogerbenrogerben Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

There isn't a single one of these renders that I don't love.

edited December 1969

I really like seeing these cartoony faces, they're so different and fun looking. Have you tried giving them expressions or would they be very distorted because of the heavy morphing?

Great job!

The only major problems with expressions are the eyes, which require quite a few correction morphs, and I'm still learning how to make those properly. That's why I've decided that my first character (which I can't show here) will be free. Heck, I'll probably release quite a few free ones before I feel confident enough to release one commercially.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Eyes are really one of the hardest things for me to get my head around to when making all the Bruno and other character morphs (still on break, my right shoulder is frozen so doing therapy and acupuncture to heal it up) but I found by masking the eye balls it keeps them in the right shape. Now I never thought of moving them using the tool you used to move them with in your video. What one is that anyways? I need to try that out. Looked allot more painless than all my attempts.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Eyes are really one of the hardest things for me to get my head around to when making all the Bruno and other character morphs (still on break, my right shoulder is frozen so doing therapy and acupuncture to heal it up) but I found by masking the eye balls it keeps them in the right shape. Now I never thought of moving them using the tool you used to move them with in your video. What one is that anyways? I need to try that out. Looked allot more painless than all my attempts.

That's the transpose tool. Basically, you know where you click the "Edit" button before you start sculpting? Right next to that is Draw (the one you normally use), Move, Scale, and Rotate.

http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Transpose:_Moving_a_Model
    http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Transpose:_Scaling_a_Model
    http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Transpose:_Rotating_a_Model

The thing is, when you go back into Daz and use the "Adjust Rigging to Shape" setting, it NEVER adjusts the eye bones perfectly. It'll be close, but you nearly always have to make slight adjustments with the joint editor.

Now, with most of my headmorphs I could get away with not doing that (it was hard to notice), but with that last one I did (where he has really large eyeballs as well as really open eyes) the problems became much more noticeable. On top of that, he's the only head morph i've done so far where i'll have to make correction morphs for the "Top Eyelids Down" morph (again, due to the really exaggerated eye shape). It might've been better if I had started with Hiro5's head rather than Michael 5's, but hey, coulda woulda shoulda.

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

They all look very cool. You are very talented!

edited December 2012

That's the transpose tool. Basically, you know where you click the "Edit" button before you start sculpting? Right next to that is Draw (the one you normally use), Move, Scale, and Rotate.

http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Transpose:_Moving_a_Model
    http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Transpose:_Scaling_a_Model
    http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Transpose:_Rotating_a_Model

The thing is, when you go back into Daz and use the "Adjust Rigging to Shape" setting, it NEVER adjusts the eye bones perfectly. It'll be close, but you nearly always have to make slight adjustments with the joint editor.

Now, with most of my headmorphs I could get away with not doing that (it was hard to notice), but with that last one I did (where he has really large eyeballs as well as really open eyes) the problems became much more noticeable. On top of that, he's the only head morph i've done so far where i'll have to make correction morphs for the "Top Eyelids Down" morph (again, due to the really exaggerated eye shape). It might've been better if I had started with Hiro5's head rather than Michael 5's, but hey, coulda woulda shoulda.

Thanks for the info. Remember the PAB Fuzzy I worked on? That was made way before any of the Toon morphs debuted so it was from scratch. Was not easy. I ended up loosing the symmetry and had another member here that had a script to fix the symmetry for me work his magic. Still have the files but with my shoulder and still waiting on the "Look at my Hair" plugin to hit the market it got shelved. So I totally get the frustration on making large eyeball morphs. I had to make custom blink morphs for the morph as the ones from DAZ just did NOT cut it, not even close! :gulp:

Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited December 1969

What about the garibaldi hair plugin? That one has a public beta you could try.

edited December 1969

Can't. The shoulder is very painful when I spend too much time on the computer. Even moved the keyboard and mouse "shelf" closer to my body but still hurts after a short while. So very limited time "playing" right now.... no work either. *moths fly out of wallet*

edited December 1969

So I had another try at a BelBel style morph for Hitomi. It came out a lot better this time. I made a correction morph for "Mouth Corner Up - Down" so that it gives you a BelBel style smile. Might make another so it can give her a BelBel style Frown too.

Just so you know, I just scaled the eyes on the x-axis to make them look thinner. This kinda screws up the "look up and down" motion.

BellaReduxTest2.png
    1000 x 1000 - 670K
    BellaReduxTest1.png
    1000 x 1000 - 672K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...excellent work. Someday I hope I can afford software like ZBrush.

edited December 1969

Your latest is definitely cute, but I think your earlier attempts looked more like the style I was expecting.

Possibly "mouth corners down" on this figure should primarily reduce the size of the mouth....

I've been experimenting with manipulating the eye socket shape, but only scaling the eyeball itself uniformly.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,489
    edited December 1969

Oh gosh I love all these SO much and i adore BOTH of yoru belbel inspired morphs (wanna tackle anime doll next? hehehehe)

Will you be able to share any of these?? they are FANTASTIC!!!!!!

edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    Your latest is definitely cute, but I think your earlier attempts looked more like the style I was expecting.

Possibly "mouth corners down" on this figure should primarily reduce the size of the mouth....

I've been experimenting with manipulating the eye socket shape, but only scaling the eyeball itself uniformly.

The thing is, in terms of shape, this latest one is much more accurate to BelBel than my last two. Also, there are already morphs in the Evolution bundle for scaling the mouth. :)

edited December 1969

I believe you-- I'm not quite sure what's triggering that reaction in me. Maybe it's just the hair. ;)

Anime Doll would definitely be a good look to try for. :) I always thought she looked more like the Rumiko Takahashi characters-- another set of favorites. :D

edited December 1969

I'll post a side by side later, using belbel's hair. In hindsight she might resemble chibi bel more, but you could make her face longer with an evo morph. :)

edited December 1969

Alright, when I actually place her next to BelBel, she really doesn't look that much like her. D:

The eyes are more accurate than the first version (on the left), but the face shape is still wrong. This should be easy to fix with a "bella classic" morph.

BellaCompare2.png
    1000 x 500 - 507K
    edited December 1969

BelBel has her chin flowing into more of a rounded point, going from the jaw line to the chin I mean. Her eyes are actually NOT that big, just toonish. I like your lips better, BelBels lips were always too thin for my taste.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,044
    edited December 1969

This thread is cool. Love those figure renders, specially the guys.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    BelBel has her chin flowing into more of a rounded point, going from the jaw line to the chin I mean. Her eyes are actually NOT that big, just toonish. I like your lips better, BelBels lips were always too thin for my taste.

Yeah, but BelBel's lips are meant to look like this:

upset.jpg
    259 x 194 - 10K
    angry.jpg
    300 x 168 - 10K
    smiling.jpg
    260 x 194 - 10K
    calm.jpg
    259 x 194 - 9K
    edited December 1969

Here's my first attempt at a Bella "Classic" morph. The lips are actually thicker than what they are in this render, but it's easier to have thick lips and make them thinner with an Evo morph than the opposite.

The "classic" morph goes on top of the Bella morph, which in turn goes over Hitomi.

The eyes need fixing. It's difficult, as BelBel's eyes aren't spherical like human eyes, they're flat. To get this absolutely spot on would require a new mesh dedicated to this type of character (just as BelBel was a new mesh instead of an A3 morph). The best I can do is a close approximation.

The nose also needs smoothing.

BellaClassicTest.png
    1000 x 1000 - 756K