Fingernail morphs for Four Arms?

cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Anyone aware of a fingernail morph add-on for the Four Arms product? Ideally, I'd like to see both the Nails Long and Fingernail Claw (from the creature creator morph set) ported over to Four Arms. I have a demon character that has long clawlike fingernails for Genesis itself using a mix of those two morphs, and it's pretty glaring that the Four Arms hands have regular fingernails.

Thanks

Comments

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    Anyone aware of a fingernail morph add-on for the Four Arms product? Ideally, I'd like to see both the Nails Long and Fingernail Claw (from the creature creator morph set) ported over to Four Arms. I have a demon character that has long clawlike fingernails for Genesis itself using a mix of those two morphs, and it's pretty glaring that the Four Arms hands have regular fingernails.

Thanks

I'm not aware of any. I suppose that Four Arms is such a niche product that it probably won't be updated to support other morphs. If I ever learn to make my own morphs, I'll try to make some for Four Arms. That it diesn't help now, though.

• Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

Kinda curious about this myself. I was hoping to shape the Four Arms to something other than the shapes they seem to come with.

Has there been an update on how to do this that I may have missed?

Thanks!

edited December 1969

SmallFry said:
    Kinda curious about this myself. I was hoping to shape the Four Arms to something other than the shapes they seem to come with.

Has there been an update on how to do this that I may have missed?

Thanks!

No updates that I'm aware of. It would be nice, now that Freak 5 and Aiko 5 are just around the corner, if the product was updated to at least follow the morphs for the Gen 5 Iconic Characters.

I was playing around with scaling, and found that I can fake the three finger morph (from Creature Creator) by scaling down each finger section for the digits I want to remove. I didn't work with it much (I've been working too much here in real life), but I think it may be doable.

I'm not sure about the fingernails themselves, though. Maybe with Dformers? I'm still learning a lot about Studio, and that's something I haven't tried yet.

edited December 1969

Something that just occurred to me is that it should be possible for someone who knows what they're doing (not me, at least not yet) with creating morphs to do some for Four Arms. There are third-party morphs available for the M5 and V5 gens, which are also geo-grafted, so it should be possible for Four Arms, too. I'm just not sure that anyone is going to find the limited market for it (I'm assuming, I could be wrong) worth the time to do it. I really need to learn how to do this.

• etujedietujedi Posts: 41
    edited December 1969

Hmm maybe it is time for an expansion pack. So claws, and other genesis character's shapes...

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

I'd certainly find that most useful. I really could use the two fingernail morphs I mentioned in my original post.

edited January 2013

etujedi said:
    Hmm maybe it is time for an expansion pack. So claws, and other genesis character's shapes...

I'd buy it. I know my tastes may not be in sync with the norm, but Four Arms is one of my favorite Genesis products. I know it's impractical to try to continually update to support every morph that comes out, but some that affect the arms/hands that are in sets like Creature Creator would be really helpful. For a lot of 'normal' human figures, a little bit of scaling can be all you need, but some of the more extreme shapes (Mr Hyde, Gorilla, Abominable, for example) are difficult to duplicate that way. I don't know if it would be necessary to support the Evolution Body morphs & Muscularity or not; the various versions of Freak may or may not be needed either.

Either way, I'll happily take anything that's available.

Post edited by riftwitch on
    edited December 1969

etujedi said:

Yes!

Is it too early to offer feature requests?

In addition to claws and other Genesis shapes, might it be possible to:

1) Parent some articles of clothing to the arms?
    I'm not sure how this would be done. Maybe some generic sleeves that could be applied? There were a couple of times I would have loved to have the option for some Supersuit arms. I've never really even checked to see if I could parent clothing with the current set. Hmm...

2) The ability to add an extra set of arms to make a six-armed Genesis figure?
    Really, six is all I would want. I wouldn't want to turn the Genesis figure into some sort of weird centipede (even though I have an idea on how I could do that). It's just that there's a precedent for 6-armed figures in fantasy and comics that I 'd like to explore.

Thanks!

edited December 1969

SmallFry said:
    etujedi said:

Yes!

I'm not sure how this would be done. Maybe some generic sleeves that could be applied? There were a couple of times I would have loved to have the option for some Supersuit arms. I've never really even checked to see if I could parent clothing with the current set. Hmm...

Really, six is all I would want. I wouldn't want to turn the Genesis figure into some sort of weird centipede (even though I have an idea on how I could do that). It's just that there's a precedent for 6-armed figures in fantasy and comics that I 'd like to explore.

Thanks!

Yeah, I've been using Four Arms for a character who is supposed to have six arms, but I could never manage to fake it (with a second figure with all but the arms turned invisible) without stretching the torso length so far it looked wrong. If I had to choose between having six arms for a figure, or gaining additional morphs for Four Arms, I'd opt for the latter.

edited December 1969

riftwitch said:
    SmallFry said:
    etujedi said:

Yes!

Thanks!

Yeah, I've been using Four Arms for a character who is supposed to have six arms, but I could never manage to fake it (with a second figure with all but the arms turned invisible) without stretching the torso length so far it looked wrong. If I had to choose between having six arms for a figure, or gaining additional morphs for Four Arms, I'd opt for the latter.

I would opt for the morphs too, but I figured I should ask anyway.

I've always been interested in making multi-armed figures using 3d. Just by way of example, here's an image I made on my old PC which had it groaning and complaining just to have the two characters you see there. The multi-armed figure was made with two Victoria 2 figures, with one hidden and carefully parented to the chest of the main figure to get that effect; I would have added another set of arms but my PC was complaining with just that figure setup...

I've got a couple of other ones on my PC now, but they're in progress. I'd be glad to share later if anyone's interested...

edited December 1969

SmallFry said:
    riftwitch said:
    SmallFry said:
    etujedi said:

Yes!

Thanks!

I would opt for the morphs too, but I figured I should ask anyway.

I've always been interested in making multi-armed figures using 3d. Just by way of example, here's an image I made on my old PC which had it groaning and complaining just to have the two characters you see there. The multi-armed figure was made with two Victoria 2 figures, with one hidden and carefully parented to the chest of the main figure to get that effect; I would have added another set of arms but my PC was complaining with just that figure setup...

I've got a couple of other ones on my PC now, but they're in progress. I'd be glad to share later if anyone's interested...

By all means, share your other renders. I really liked that one. I didn't have any luck using a second figure to get the extra pair of arms. I may just need more practice, though.

edited December 1969

Not to late for suggestions, but I can't promise i can include everything. One of the things that was pointed out was the lack of a second chest. So maybe an upgrade to include the chest and a six arm version? Ill sketch up some ideas and start a new thread for suggestions.

edited December 1969

etujedi said:
    Not to late for suggestions, but I can't promise i can include everything. One of the things that was pointed out was the lack of a second chest. So maybe an upgrade to include the chest and a six arm version? Ill sketch up some ideas and start a new thread for suggestions.

I suppose support for more UV maps might be nice. I really don't know much about that kind of stuff, so it may not be doable.

The six arms would be great. Would that be a separate product, or something that would load in addition to the existing four arms?

The extra chest could be interesting, if you're talking about pectoral muscles. I really don't think it would need to follow the breast morphs for female figures; I would imagine that it could be a lot of work to arrange it so that the nipples on skin textures lined up right on the figure. Then again, I could be completely wrong.

edited December 1969

While it would obviously be a separate product, the talk about a second chest brings to mind the idea of a geograft that adds extra breasts to females. Two come to mind: the "three across" like was used in Total Recall, and then the "stacked 2x2" where there is a second pair of breasts under the regular pair.

edited January 2013

But back on the original topic. Aside from my fingernails/claws request, the two things that would be most beneficial for me using Four Arms are:

1) Another UV mapping to fix the arm where it joins the torso when using V4 skins. A lot of Four Arms matches with V4 maps, except for that one area. None of the Four Arm skins are really adequate for females, especially high fantasy/fairie type females. I realize this is probably no simple task, but it would be a SIGNIFICANT enhancement to the overall usability of Four Arms. This area doesn't need to be perfect, just blend well enough to not stick out like a sore thumb as it currently does. Making use of UV switching means you have the original UV for the "perfect" blend if you have Four Arm-specific skins, while the "V4 compatibility" UV would be a "good enough" remap to the shoulder areas of the V4 torso map.

2) Some way to get gloves to conform to it. I don't know if some trickery with a clone shape could do this or if there is some other magic that could assist with this. As it is now, the only things I've been able to use are prop items like bracelets that I've parented to the forearms of Four Arms (say that a fast a few times...).

(I personally don't have need of a six arms version. That seems to me like it would really have to be a completely new geograft and basically a whole new product. That said, if it was added, I'd probably find a way to use it... heh)

Post edited by cwichura on
    edited December 1969

So here are the issues, I made this originally as a test and then made it a product. The physiology is not correct because you would need a second set of pectorals to move the shoulders. Existing Textures are a problem as I would need to get permission from texture creators to use their sets to make a match to four arms. The only other option is to make all original sets for genesis and four arms. Six arms become an issue because the torso is not long enough to support it. And I don't mean stretching or scaling the torso, I mean there may not be enough geometry unless they join at the back.

As for conforming clothing, the rigging and geometry are in the wrong place to use existing clothing. You would have to copy it, move it in a modeler and relocate the rig. It can be done but trying to match a bunch of existing sets requires permission to use geometry, unless you can convince clothing makers to support the product. Morphs are easier because I can try to match as close to the original as possible and don't need permissions.

edited December 1969

Of course, if you are not selling this, you can conform existing gloves you own. Just export to a modeler and relocate the geometry to match four arms. Make sure the group names are changed to match as well. Import into studio and use the transfer utility to transfer four arms rig to your clothing.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,655
    edited December 1969

On textures, I've no idea how practical this would be but could you:

map the top and bottom loops of the chest insert to match the standard UVs of the figure.
    map the arms to take standard arm textures, flowing into the standard torso maps.
    assuming that it was possible to do this in a way that didn't have any polygons in different areas on the torso competing for the same map create a set of generic maps with masks to fade in over the shoulder area and fade out again over the areas that matched the attached figure - there would probably be a noticeable transition, but at least with some textures the blending in and out might hide the seams - and a layered image might allow another layer on top that could be used for mild tint and tone adjustment.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,044
    edited December 1969

I am experimenting with a transmap for this so it hides the torso section of the four arms..

edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    I am experimenting with a transmap for this so it hides the torso section of the four arms..

That sounds interesting. I'm glad to see there's interest in doing more with this product.

edited December 1969

Ye I dont like the fact that the arm texture covers the torso area. If I can reduce it to just the arms and have the original texture showing on the torso, then that would be cool...I will hop back on this when I have a moment..shouldnt be too hard..My early tests shows good results. This means I can change the secondary arm colours/textures and it will blend into the main characters texture.

edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Ye I dont like the fact that the arm texture covers the torso area. If I can reduce it to just the arms and have the original texture showing on the torso, then that would be cool...I will hop back on this when I have a moment..shouldnt be too hard..My early tests shows good results. This means I can change the secondary arm colours/textures and it will blend into the main characters texture.

Don't rush yourself, I can tell you're a busy person. I was wondering, since I'm planning on picking up both Man Fuzz products; is there any way to force the arm hair to load onto the extra arms in Four Arms? I know that the Fuzz products are designed to work on a normal human figure, but maybe there's a way to trick Studio into putting the hair somewhere else? I'm not suggesting you change your product, just expressing random thoughts as they occur to me.

Gotta get to bed now. I can play with Studio some when I wake up.

edited February 2013

With regards to ManFuzz, unfortunately not...:( if they were single sided then you could parent them as props..but the hairs load for both sides at once, and because I used Zbrush uv's you cannot hide one side at a time by masking the other side...

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

A render where longer fingernails would've been nice . . . it came out good anyway though. DS4.5Pro render, prework and postwork in GIMP. Larger version in my deviantART gallery here.

Goddess of Time, Goddess of Change

GoddessTimeGoddessChange-x2000.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 761K
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    With regards to ManFuzz, unfortunately not...:( if they were single sided then you could parent them as props..but the hairs load for both sides at once, and because I used Zbrush uv's you cannot hide one side at a time by masking the other side...

I didn't really think it was possible, but I figured I'd ask. I suppose something like LAMH or Garibaldi would be the solution to putting hair on just about anything. But I'm still picking up Man Fuzz, there's a lot I can do with it.

edited December 1969

etujedi said:
    So here are the issues, I made this originally as a test and then made it a product. The physiology is not correct because you would need a second set of pectorals to move the shoulders. Existing Textures are a problem as I would need to get permission from texture creators to use their sets to make a match to four arms. The only other option is to make all original sets for genesis and four arms. Six arms become an issue because the torso is not long enough to support it. And I don't mean stretching or scaling the torso, I mean there may not be enough geometry unless they join at the back.

As for conforming clothing, the rigging and geometry are in the wrong place to use existing clothing. You would have to copy it, move it in a modeler and relocate the rig. It can be done but trying to match a bunch of existing sets requires permission to use geometry, unless you can convince clothing makers to support the product. Morphs are easier because I can try to match as close to the original as possible and don't need permissions.

Yeah, I know the physiology is wrong, but that's ok. I was planning on using a few alien morphs and displacement maps to help explain the physiological laws we'd be breaking. ;)

After thinking about the clothing, I think I might try to find some dynamic clothing to drape over the shoulders if no clothing options were available. I guess I'll just have to get a bit creative.

I kept wishing that a Supersuit add-on were available that would allow me to clothe the extra arms. I could shape the extra Supersuit arms to create armbands or padding. Since the Supersuit is adaptable for fantasy and sci-fi renders, that might be a great way to go. I'm not sure if that might be an avenue to explore...

• tonymousetonymouse Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

I am looking forward to an expansion to this item to make it more compatable with other shapes ;) Awesome!!!