JACK TOMALIN APPRECIATION SOCIETY [JAS III]

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

Really nice Baglet, and I agree, if we kept all new items according to old system, we would still have the texture quality and sizes from M1.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Well since Sacrament was one of Jack's heavier sets, I feel somewhat relieved that I can now load the whole lot in and render it without hurting my system any more. The RAM upgrade came through and everything now moves as smooth as silk. I'd post the resulting renders, but they're highly experimental renders attempting to get a decent 'light beam' effect using Lux and Reality's fog. It's not very pretty at the moment, to be blunt.

Will post some renders when it's looking a bit more holy and a lot less 'moly'.

edited December 1969

Golden rule of computer purchases that have been valid for the past 25 years at least.
    Look at the price for the most expensive computer in the range you are about to buy. Then buy the next most expensive and then upgrade it with RAM and disk so you end up at the same price at the most expensive one.

• BagletBaglet Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Or if you're tech but cheapskate like me you can self-build. I have a large old case and remake the system for about £500 every few years. New graphics card more often as they date quickly or blow up. The old parts get recycled into Linux boxes.

edited December 1969

Baglet said:
    Or if you're tech but cheapskate like me you can self-build. I have a large old case and remake the system for about £500 every few years. New graphics card more often as they date quickly or blow up. The old parts get recycled into Linux boxes.
    I always self-build. It's not a case of being cheap for me though, it's a matter of pride. Buying pre-built machines often means having to compromise somewhere, and I don't like compromises if I can avoid them. My current PC was built from the ground up. Everything from the motherboard to the CPU to the RAM was bought individually and pieced together by myself. It is cheaper to do, but it's also a lot more rewarding.

The only thing I regret is buying a cheaper second monitor. Every now and then I get a horrible dithering effect which is highly distracting. I have to drag my Luxrender windows across to my good monitor so I can properly scrutinize the images. Well, live and learn.

• BagletBaglet Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The cheapskate was tongue-in-cheek. I prefer to build as pre-built PCs often have sub-standard components. If the motherboard is OK the disk(s) will be rubbish. I used to build my office machines too but I've been arm-twisted into accepting bought ones which are then a pain to upgrade.

Just downloading Kingdom of Marrakesh... :-)

• maraichmaraich Posts: 489
    edited December 2012

I hope and pray the coupons work right first time, this time around!

What coupon am I supposed to be using?

Never mind - I see it was automatic. I didn't see that mentioned on the product page.

Post edited by maraich on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited December 1969

Baglet said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ....I have no issue with adjusting the texture map sizes myself in PSP. Done it enough that it has become pretty routine.

Of course sometime next week (fingers crossed) I should finally be able to say goodbye to memory and OpenGL issues.

...been a "one piece at a time" affair.

Same here with PSP. I only need the downsized maps for Vue so that it doesn't go cry in a corner and refuse to play any more. It's not a memory issue that can be solved by getting more, it just doesn't like big textures. Maybe it's the memory allocation - how much it gives to each object and texture which is an internal coding problem.

Enjoy all that memory. It makes a huge difference - especially running several things at once.

...thanks. I think 12GB should be a sufficiently high enough ceiling.

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Baglet said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ....I have no issue with adjusting the texture map sizes myself in PSP. Done it enough that it has become pretty routine.

Of course sometime next week (fingers crossed) I should finally be able to say goodbye to memory and OpenGL issues.

...been a "one piece at a time" affair.

Same here with PSP. I only need the downsized maps for Vue so that it doesn't go cry in a corner and refuse to play any more. It's not a memory issue that can be solved by getting more, it just doesn't like big textures. Maybe it's the memory allocation - how much it gives to each object and texture which is an internal coding problem.

Enjoy all that memory. It makes a huge difference - especially running several things at once.

...thanks. I think 12GB should be a sufficiently high enough ceiling.

For now, lol.. ;)

edited December 1969

Baglet said:
    Making low-res textures and then special MAT files to apply them is a huge amount of work. Most people seem happy with doing their own reductions at present.

A small render from within GiS Sigma looking out at other parts of the system through the windows and in reflections. I called it "A Tour of the Base". The figures really ought to be a bit smaller scale which would make the structure even more immense and impressive. Bet she'll cut their funding anyway.

Nice! :)

edited December 1969

New toys by the master! I already know what I will render for the PC contest (just need the webguys to fix so I can diownload the DS Mac OS files, getting only Windows files, bugged@mantis).

edited December 1969

Hope the issue gets sorted out soon mate!

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 1969

hi there,

good to see that you work on the things on the to do list :) (and maybe my wishlist 'smile').

just downloading the new West Park Ablutions :)

edited December 1969

Hope the issue gets sorted out soon mate!

Gaah!!! Not yet.....

edited December 1969

Well if its still outstanding by sort of mid-day Utah time, give me a shout and I'll try chasing it up - it needs to be fixed before the weekend!

• SedorSedor Posts: 1,764
    edited December 1969

Yesyesyesyes, I wanna try it this weekend :D

(Currently they are not fixed)

edited December 1969

I have it on good authority it's fixed now.. so give it a shot and let me know :)

edited December 1969

Looks good! Now there are ZIP-Files :)

edited December 1969

Glad to hear it :)

edited December 1969

Yupp! Downloaded! Now I can do my PC Weekly entry, muhahahahah!!

edited December 2012

Company party - men's room

I think the company is where all the Phoenix1966 guys are working ;-)

mensroom.jpg
    1600 x 1280 - 292K
    Post edited by Totte on
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Company party - men's room

I think the company is where all the Phoenix1966 guys are working ;-)

lol.. have to admit I saw the title and I was like, erm.. ;)

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

and that is why I gave up drinking....great image Totte. LOL

edited December 1969

Well, something weird happened using Ablutions. As most of my renders show (sexy) girls in all possible situations I decided to do a render for the girls: a sexy man at the shower... But see what came out, when I get him into the shower area of Ablutions:

2012-12-15_Troll_web.jpg
    1125 x 1500 - 409K
    edited December 1969

Nice!

Well, erm.. maybe not for the poor bloke.. what happens if you stick him back in the shower a second time? Does he return to normal? or something even worse?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 2012

worse I am sure.

I just popped in to say your latest texture update is again superb work Jack. Can't wait to mix and match all 3 sets together.

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    worse I am sure.

I just popped in to say your latest texture update is again superb work Jack. Can't wait to mix and match all 3 sets together.

Thanks for that Pete, I appreciate it :)

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

A Very Merry Crypta Sepultus! :-P

MerryMissa3a.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 241K
    edited December 1969

That's probably one of the nicest tombs she's raided.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

The poor fella in the back obviously didn't correctly interpret the tomb symbols, which translate, "Do not open until Christmas!" ;-)

This discussion has been closed.