Fix the Browser issue of seeing someone elses name

Comments

• SassyWenchSassyWench Posts: 602
    edited December 1969

I'll also add that early yesterday several store category pages (sales & promotions, people, new releases, 1.99 items, and creatures) were also showing the problem for me, and that on those pages when I re-sorted them, they righted to my information. They've remained correct so far today. Curious to see if that holds.

Well... I just went to the store and had been logged out. I logged back in and every page page in the store is showing Correct! Whoo Hoo! That hasn't happened before. LOL
    So yes Storypilot, maybe we have progress! :P

• Frank__Frank__ Posts: 302
    edited December 1969

pinkdaisy said:
    pumeco said:
    I've had the same name come up multiple times even after clearing the cache.

Just now I found that my Wish List had four items in it even though I've never used a wishlist in my life. But what really takes the biscuit was when I first started exploring the new system and discovered that my credit card had been stored despite ALWAYS telling the system DO NOT STORE whenever I made a purchase.

I sort of knew DAZ wouldn't pull-off a smooth bug free transition with the forums, and as such, I was extra vigilant to make sure that I ticked the box NOT to store my card details. Didn't want my details getting stored somewhere and left in limbo because of the changeover, the only time I ever let it store my details was for the PC once, but I ended that years ago and every purchase since it has been told not to store my card details.

The card should not have been listed.

I've never had any security problems with my card during my entire time of owning one because I'm vigilant and sensible with it, and not using systems that store the data is all part of being vigilant and sensible. I sincerely hope that whatever backups you have of this mess is destroyed properly, meaning to a standard it is not recoverable. I have of course removed the listed card from my account before it get's stored in yet another backup of the system, but it was still listed during the changeover and that infuriates me, even moreso because of the problems its having.

Start deleting those backups, and please ensure it's done properly.

I have the same problem with my CC information. I have posted it numerous times in different forums but DAZ didn't think I deserved an answer. I finally put in a Ticket and 2 days later I received the answer I expected from DAZ. This is what they do best. Blame it on the customer. It is like Amen in a prayer. The cure all evil "Delete Cache and Cookies. When I received this message again I was so furious that I didn't look at the store or the Forums for more than a week.

Here it goes:
    You will need to remove the CC Information from your Credit Card Profiles
    section on your account page. Once you have removed this information you
    will also need to clear your cache and cookies, so the information is not
    saved in your computers memory. We have absolutely no access to your CC
    information to use or remove. This has to be done from your end.

There was no CC info in the cache or cookies. Had it checked by an expert before deletion.
    I was also told that my info is envrypted and 100% safe. DAZ has no way at getting to it. I am positive a good hacker can.

I also mentioned the problem in two different threads, but no-one seemed to be concerned about it ...

The answer from support is a little bit helpless (this "clear your cache and cookies" is going to become as popular an inside joke as "DAZ soon": some product won't install correctly? Clear your cache and cookies. Studio materials are missing? Clear your cache and cookies. I see lots and lots of possible application possibilities ... :) )

Joke aside: I guess pumeco is right: the old system stored the credit card information albeit is wasn't allowed to do. Obviously it set a flag to not show the information anymore. Transferring the old database to the new one ignored this flag and: tada the information resurrected. Which makes me completely confident in the assurance that everything is 100%, maybe 200% safe.

• booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

Well, clearing my cache and cookies just makes me poor and hungry. The site still calls me by the wrong name. Oh, well,

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited June 2012

Greetings,
    Hopefully I can upload these images in the right order. (Edit: Darn it; they showed up out of order. :( Changing the text to match the actual image order.) This ought to fascinate folks, especially those with web development backgrounds...

The second image is after a cleared cache and cleared cookies. The shop shows stale data. VERY stale data.

The first image (ordered that way by the uploader) is where I've added an arbitrary URL parameter, which probably triggers the caching server to pull fresh data, and it gives me the actual current information. At this point I'm going to consider making a plug-in which adds a random query string to every darn DAZ URL, so that it doesn't hit the cache for any of them.

I bet that'd solve all (or at least most of) these problems right there. For example, once I logged in and reloaded, the default page didn't show any wishlist or cart data. Setting an arbitrary URL parameter, and POOF, the correct cart and wishlist numbers showed up.

I know it'd suck for server performance, but your caching setup is simply broken right now. It's been obvious to everybody for a while. (There were posts about it mis-caching on the Facebook pages the very first day.) I want you folks to move past this, and frankly turning your caching off would probably go 90% of the way towards making things look stable. SLOW, but stable. Caching is hard, and you're doing it wrong. And no, I don't mean the in-browser caching, cookies, or anything like that.

I want you folks to succeed. I want you to figure this out on your own, and make it work, and be up to speed on Magento and all the stuff that goes into it, so you can iterate on making the site better and even awesome. I know it's a pain in the tucus getting unsolicited, and often angry, advice while you're in crisis mode. But 'solutions' like this don't help either.

By the way, one web dev to...well, the void: If you EVER feel like saying, 'clear your cookies' as a solution for an endemic user problem, stop for a minute and think, 'I've built this wrong.' For example, if you renamed the cookies YOU listen for, then it's essentially the same thing as every user clearing their cookies, but without wasting the time of thousands of users. Everybody'd need to log in again, but that's FAR preferable to making them grovel through their browser settings to clear their cookies, and then have to log in again anyway, AND (if they do it wrong) have to log in to every OTHER site on the Internet whose cookies they've excised. Seriously 'Clear your cookies' is a really, really bad support strategy.

And it didn't work.

...but cache-busting the URLs does seem to work, and that's something for both us, the users, to think about, and for you, DAZ, to think about as an important point in the debugging of this problem.

-- Morgan

Image remove for image size. Please refer to this for details. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/categories/98/

[Edit2: You removed them at the moment I was editing them to fix the size. :) ]

Normal_URL.png
    700 x 400 - 242K
    Modified_URL.png
    700 x 358 - 263K
    Post edited by CypherFOX on
  • pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

@pinkdaisy
    Yup, looks like the old site totally ignored the fact that I didn't want my details storing, and stored it anyway. One thing for sure is that this particular issue has nothing to do with the new site. I know this because I've not purchased anything from the new site, so it would have otherwise been impossible for my details to get here by any other means.

I deleted the card from the new system the moment I saw it (while muttering totally unrepeatable words to myself), but it remains that my details are still stored on the old account and I cannot log in to delete them. That's what's on top of my wishlist right now, to get into the old site and delete my card details from it. I chose not to store stuff because I don't want it storing.

That hasn't changed.

Post edited by pumeco on
  • StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,659
    edited December 1969

Morgan you are absolutely right about all of that.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,058
    edited June 2012

We are aware that many of you have seen in the DAZ Store another name than yours. If you happen to continue to see on our store, If you are not “Some Other Name”... The solution is to Clear your Cache and Cookies in your internet browser, then force a refresh on the page. The problem will now be taken care of and you should never see this again. As a reminder: This has never given you access to others account data. Your account is and has always been safe.

I haven't been seeing this on the shop pages - until today.

I deleted ALL cookies that referenced daz3d.com, even those that were 'referrer' cookies for other sites and went to the DAZ home page. I logged in - and the cart content is right, but up in the corner it's asking (not )?

Not even close to fixed, I'm afraid.

ETA: And once again, going to the new releases, I get the SAME stale page with the SAME 305 item wishlist -- with the Raw Ogre, Minotaur for Genesis, and Sci Fi Security Gear as the last three items added. And the three newest items in the store are: the Raw Ogre, M5 Poses 01 Standing, and Men of Character II.

I'm done with clearing the cookies and cache - at my end - because the problem is clearly your cache setup at your end. I wish you luck, but I'm afraid I'm not going to be holding my breath.

Post edited by namffuak on
  • edited June 2012

I concur. None of the solutions offered are even close to fixing the "Name Thing". I also completely agree with Morgan and others that there is obviously a cache problem or some such on the part of the DAZ store.

I get a different name on the DAZ Home Page, a different number of items in the wishlist area, not only when viewing each of the TABS: Shop, Products, etc, but also a different number of items in the wishlist area under each of the filters located under Shop.

Can't find any of the new releases because the newest releases aren't updating properly. I see Men of Character II and below. Don't see any of this week's PC releases, AntFarms releases, etc.

When I first signed into the store this afternoon, I did find under new releases and platinum club items,, this week's PC releases. However, when I clicked on the link of one so that I could view the promos, added it to my cart and then paged back, the new week's PC releases no longer showed up, nor did they show up anywhere that I could find.

Ended up that I had to use the links provided in the Members Only Forum under the Weekly contest just so I could view the promos, place them in my cart and check out with them.

Post edited by i-luv-2-read_99e6eb2b4f on
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

I think I figured the pattern to this and how to replicate the effect every time. I tested these steps on two different devices, with three different browsers on each; on one of the devices, one of the browsers had never visited DAZ's pages before so it had no cache, no cookies, nothing, and when I duplicated the pattern here, it worked just like predicted.

1. Clear all cookies and page cache.
    2. Go to front page. Press Log In button.
    3. Wait until it takes you to the login page.
    4. Do not login, but click on DAZ home page button.
    5. Voilà! You're now someone you aren't.

The problem, methinks, comes from this bit in URL which is visible after you click login: "referer/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5kYXozZC5jb20vc2hvcC9zaG9w"

"My Account", on the other hand, has no "referer" data in URL. So the login button system is hosing up something, and doing it something fierce; it is apparently tapping to cache, except it is doing it wrong. The problem is at DAZ's end. No ifs and buts about it. The exact detail of HOW it does wrong, however, is something I can't solve sans ogling at the code. But I would recommend to look at the login button, what kind of functions it calls, and then stab at things. The same for wishlist -- it is apparently related to similar sort of problem.

Incidentally, this is a demonstration of coders and why they're never off the hook: I was unable to fall asleep (it involves a mosquito and hypnic jerks), unwilling to get up from the bed, so I picked up my tablet and began to diddle with things until I was sure I had the pattern nailed. Then, I had to get up and test it on my desktop as well. At 3 am.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited June 2012

Greetings,
    @Skiriki - The string "aHR0cDovL3d3dy5kYXozZC5jb20vc2hvcC9zaG9w" is base 64 encoded "http://www.daz3d.com/shop/shop", it's used so the login page knows where to redirect you after you've successfully logged in. Most systems do it a bit differently, less opaquely, but it's probably not directly related to the caching issue, unfortunately.

Still, that's an interesting set of steps; maybe some extra cookie is being dropped when you go to the login page, or something, and then being misinterpreted by the cache. Okay, now I'm flailing, I really have no idea except that their caching strategy is provably broken.

One interesting note is that I haven't seen random answers for required products today, so maybe they're addressing that right now. Or maybe I've been lucky... That's what makes race conditions and caching problems so darn hard. It's difficult to know if something is actually fixed with a small sample set.

-- Morgan

Post edited by CypherFOX on
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Yeah, but I do wonder if that is a reference to cached page (in base 64), so instead of reloading the page anew, it plops you to cached version once login is done. I mean, cache probably uses encoded versions rather than actual URLs?

• jhofflerjhoffler Posts: 37
    edited December 1969

@Morgan: wow, didn't realize I was missing nearly a page of new releases. Three weeks into this migration and the open issue list is going up instead of down. I've been in the IT game for 20 years and have never seen anything quite like this. At the Charlotte CIO Forum last week we actually discussed DAZ as a case study of how NOT to manage a failed software deployment (I mean 'failed' as the technical term for a change control that doesn't pass production check-out, not to be mean).

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

I cleared cash everyday,(because of DAZ bug)

Today I see another man's name 2 times. (they are same person's name)

I am afraid it seems not "unusuall", and these problems becomes "common" things about "daz".

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited June 2012

I'm at least back in .... I'm still fed up with all this mess! At this point DAZ should have a better handle on this whole log on, weird name thing. I got to the store this AM and looked and low and behold saw my name and didn't have to log on... then I went to look at products (and of course the new ones, like Waves and those girly outfits are now MIA regardless of how I go back and forth to the pages to try to get them to reorder ... this trick is no longer working) and when I looked up I'm now someone else again!

REALLY DAZ? REALLY?? :coolmad:

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • Fille123Fille123 Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    I'm at least back in .... I'm still fed up with all this mess! At this point DAZ should have a better handle on this whole log on, weird name thing. I got to the store this AM and looked and low and behold saw my name and didn't have to log on... then I went to look at products (and of course the new ones, like Waves and those girly outfits are now MIA regardless of how I go back and forth to the pages to try to get them to reorder ... this trick is no longer working) and when I looked up I'm now someone else again!

REALLY DAZ? REALLY?? :coolmad:

Use this URL to see the newest items correctly: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/new-releases?dir=desc&order=activated&p=1

edited December 1969

Yes, found that thread. Added a couple more items ($1.99 for PC members) to the cart. Thanks for the link! :-) Funny thing, folks complain about the PC issues but you know, as long as there are items that are normally $15.00 going for $1.99, that's savings enough for me. If I get a gift certificate or coupon that's a bonus as far as I'm concerned. The male outfit looks strangely like something Adam Lambert would wear and in fact the face morph looks ALLOT like Adam! lol

• SyndarylSyndaryl Posts: 521
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Hmm, it also occurs to me -- do people use (their ISP's) proxies in general? Because I don't, I pretty much never use a proxy if I can help it, especially when doing content-loading (too many chances to get it fouled up and unable to get it refreshed).

At home, my ISP doesn't give much choice about proxies. They're engaged in actively forging reset packets, they perform what would be called injection attacks on websites by any sane party to slam a banner on the top of other peoples websites instead of using the damn phone if they need to send me a message, and they force all traffic through their own proxy before going out onto the internet, and they hijack URL requests not found in their own DNS server to their own advertising page. I thought wild domain parking was bad, but this is seriously stupid, and means firefox keeps thinking my typos are real locations.

If you can't tell, I hate them with a burning passion but don't have any other options at my current location.

I use MITs DNS servers which at least bypasses the DNS-error-hijack but I'm seriously considering using TOR just to get around their regular web-surfing garbage...

I strongly suspect they've cached some garbage pages... but my work doesn't go through the same ISP and I'm having the same problems here.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    . . . Funny thing, folks complain about the PC issues but you know, as long as there are items that are normally $15.00 going for $1.99, that's savings enough for me. If I get a gift certificate or coupon that's a bonus as far as I'm concerned . . .

As far as I'm concerned the PlatClub voucher is one of the things DAZ agreed to provide in exchange for the annual membership fee that I paid them, and getting what I've paid for is not a bonus. I'm willing to accept a close equivalent for technical reasons, but it'd have to be a genuinely close equivalent, not a kinda-sorta it's-just-as-good-really-cross-our-hearts switcharoo.
    edited December 1969

I understand your reasoning KickAir.... I'm just happy about the deep discounts on store items. I'm sure the rest will be worked out.... "SOON" *runs* :P

edited June 2012

RAMWolff said:
    I understand your reasoning KickAir.... I'm just happy about the deep discounts on store items. I'm sure the rest will be worked out.... "SOON" *runs* :P

ACK! The "s" word! :: twitch! ::

I'm happy about $1.99 useful'n'fun-for-me content too, otherwise I wouldn't've joined! But I don't think that the non-PlatClub prices on these products reflect their actual value to the customer base, so I'm not grateful for discounts that are (IMHO) not really as deep as shown. Also, the PlatClub usually breaks up into two (and sometimes more) pieces things that would otherwise be a single product. It's a bargain, yes, and one I recommend, but only so long as it provides good value for the money we spend. Too much whittling away at what we're paying for and it won't anymore.
    Post edited by KickAir 8P on
    edited December 1969

Well as this process goes on and on we will all reach moments where we want to throw our hands up and walk away. Some will... I'm sure even some folks behind the scenes are going home in tears and frustration... imagine our sweet gals manning the phones, I truly feel for them and all the complaints they have to field every day. I'd rather rant and rave here so they don't have to hear me yell... I'm a Capricorn, I yell very loudly! lol I'm sure it will all be cleared up in a year or so just in time for them to introduce another better web site with all the bells and whistles broken.. I mean working! *twitch twitch* :P

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Well as this process goes on and on we will all reach moments where we want to throw our hands up and walk away. Some will... I'm sure even some folks behind the scenes are going home in tears and frustration... imagine our sweet gals manning the phones, I truly feel for them and all the complaints they have to field every day. I'd rather rant and rave here so they don't have to hear me yell... I'm a Capricorn, I yell very loudly! lol I'm sure it will all be cleared up in a year or so just in time for them to introduce another better web site with all the bells and whistles broken.. I mean working! *twitch twitch* :P

Yeah, it's gotta be horrible for them! I'm sure they'd've much rather have had a flawlessly smooth change-over instead of this slow-motion will-it-ever-end train-wreck. Looks like they're doing a great job of coping with the fall-out, no matter how much we'd all like to see more fixing done so there's less coping needed.
    edited December 1969

It's not all bad, especially if you're a single male like me.

I've been watching the product page for Victoria 4, and every so often it gets replaced by a real woman. It's a different woman every time, but you have to be quick. The only problem is that the quantity part is fixed at 1, so unfortunately, you can only stick one woman in your basket at a time before you check out. So far I've managed to buy four girls from Albania, two from Spain, four from India, six from Thailand, two from Hong Kong, and even one from Japan.

All transactions were at a cost of $0 but it's gonna cost me an absolute fortune in airfares to receive them (real women cannot be added to your downloads section). Please bear this in mind if you decide to do the same.

PS: I would just like to point out to DAZ that if this turns out to be a trick and I don't receive my girls, I'm putting a complaint in to DAZ support.

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735
    edited December 1969

Still getting logged in as other ppl and their wishlists. I don't have a wishlist here, so mine should be '0' items. Again today I logged in with someone who had 1330 items. Also, I am still being logged out when I go to different pages in the store at times.
    When are we going to see our PC vouchers again? It's the 8th and the way the whole cart and checkout system is totally screwed, you can't see any itemized list of discounts/vouchers or coupons being applied (or not), nor can you see what you even have, or are supposed to have so you can see if it's missing!! I don't like this 'blind' checkout where all you see is a total and no other information is being given. I don't have that kind of trust.
    And how the hell do you get carriage returns in the forum now instead of one long paragraph? I added a couple periods just to get some space between my thoughts!! Geez.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Carriage return enter space enter OK it's long winded, but better than dots.

edited June 2012

I have the same problem, and all I do is hit Return twice.

Return = Next Line
    Return X2 = Miss a line

Mind you, I'm using Chrome and don't know if it would work the same with other browsers.

Post edited by pumeco on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,655
    edited December 1969

It shouldn't be browser-dependent.

edited December 1969

Pretty much the same in all browsers... this is the software .... something wasn't turned on for allowing paragraph spaces with using the Enter key once so usually 2 X's works just fine, it's remembering to do it each time is all!

• edited December 1969

Fille123 said:

Use this URL to see the newest items correctly: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/new-releases?dir=desc&order=activated&p=1

Thanks for providing the link, Fille123. For some reason hitting the new releases option doesn't work for me from the filters option. The last thing I was getting was the Men of Character II.

I clicked on your link and was able to see all the new releases, an entire page of them plus one that was on the second page.

It's obvious that this link: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/new-releases isn't working because when I went back to the Shop tab and then clicked the new release filter, I again got the Men of Character II.

Click your link and I apparently get the correct version of the new releases.

Might I inquire where you found the link?

• WhiteMystWhiteMyst Posts: 212
    edited December 1969

Clearing my cache, deleting cookies and refreshing my browser hasn't helped one bit.....I've tried this several times. I'm still either seeing random people's names or no name at all, random wishlists, random last items viewed etc. The store and forums are now loading like a snail trying to crawl through molasses making it difficult for me to look for answers to these problems as well as any fixes for those of us unable to renew our monthly PC membership.