Folder query

ElowanElowan Posts: 388

After installing DAZ4.5 I have 2 folders in the Program Folders folder on my main drive -- DAZ and DAZ3D. Which of these is the 'boss'? Can I transfer files from one folder to the other or should I leave it alone?

Thnx

Post edited by Elowan on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 2012

Are you talking about the Program Files folder on your main drive?
    Mine is called DAZ 3D, I don;t know where your DAZ one came from, but it wasn't the 4.5 installer that I know of. What exactly is in it?

What Operating System are you using?

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • ElowanElowan Posts: 388
    edited December 1969

Using Vista HP - completely updated with all updates

Program Files folder.

2 main folders within the DAZ main folder - ReadMe's and Studio

Within the Studio folder are 2 sub-folders -- Content and Environments

Content folder contains 2 folders -- another ReadMe's folder and a Runtime folder (Geometries, Libraries. Textures).

Environments has 1 sub -- Architecture.

I suspect this folder is from an earlier version.

I'd like to combine the DAZ and DAZ3D folders if possible

edited December 1969

Elowan said:

Program Files folder.

Content folder contains 2 folders -- another ReadMe's folder and a Runtime folder (Geometries, Libraries. Textures).

You could take the ReadMe's and Runtime and merge them into the My Library folder, and also the Environments folder too.
    These folders should be inside the Documents folder, and not in Program Files. All of my DS4.5 content is in a folder called My Library here : C:\Users\\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library.

User content should NOT be stored in the Program Files folder. Did you install your content into a My Library folder in Documents, or into the Program Files folder?
    edited December 2012

Elowan said:

Program Files folder.

It's not MY content but installed DAZ content from web sources

You could take the ReadMe's and Runtime and merge them into the My Library folder, and also the Environments folder too.
    These folders should be inside the Documents folder, and not in Program Files. All of my DS4.5 content is in a folder called My Library here : C:\Users\\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library.

User content should NOT be stored in the Program Files folder. Did you install your content into a My Library folder in Documents, or into the Program Files folder?

Oops!

Post edited by Elowan on
    edited December 1969

It’s not MY content but installed DAZ content from web sources

Your post is very confusng the way you have laid it out, but is the above your reply?

I asked this question of you:

Did you install your content into a My Library folder in Documents, or into the Program Files folder?

Do you have the Genesis Essentials content installed? If so, where did you install it to?

User content means, content that is not part of the application (program) like figures, materials, poses etc etc. It can come from anywhere but it is still called User Content, and under Vista or Win7, it should be installed by default into the Documents folder.

edited December 2012

It’s not MY content but installed DAZ content from web sources

Your post is very confusng the way you have laid it out, but is the above your reply?

I asked this question of you:

Did you install your content into a My Library folder in Documents, or into the Program Files folder?

Do you have the Genesis Essentials content installed? If so, where did you install it to?

User content means, content that is not part of the application (program) like figures, materials, poses etc etc. It can come from anywhere but it is still called User Content, and under Vista or Win7, it should be installed by default into the Documents folder.

The content was installed (default) by the installer(s) that came with the object(s) file(s). I did not - personally - add the content myself; it was done by default by the installer

My DAZ 3D folder contains Content Management Service and DAZStudio4.

Post edited by Elowan on
    edited December 1969

Then you will have to add the contents of your 'DAZ' folder in Porgram Files, as explained previously, to the Documents folder, and into the My Library folder. I already gave you the address for that, but here it is again:

C:\Users\\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library (the default content path)

Just a side note, you should ALWAYS look at where the installer is putting any content that you install, and you should never iinstall content into the Program Files area, it is a protected area, and it will cause you problems.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,835
    edited December 2012

The DAZ folder is where Hexagon, DS1 & DS2 got installed to, DAZ 3D is where Bryce7, DS3 & DS4 get installed, I'm assuming Carrara is the same but I don't have it to be able to check.

Some of the older DS native content get installed into program files by default, and there's no way to change it as you don't get any options with the installer, things like the early Elite textures, for me in those instances I let it install to where it has to go, I then move the installed files to where they need to go, either to my DS3 content directory on F drive (large partition) or to My_Library in Documents for DS4.

Before Vista was released the DS1 & 2 Content directory was stored in the "Program Files > DAZ > Studio" folder, after Vista's release keeping it there caused a lot of headless chicken routines around the community, as well as a lot of bad information that confused the situation even more.

Post edited by Bejaymac on