deWinter

VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm wondering if the fluffy collar on deWinter has a material zone I caN SET TO 0% Opacity? If so, could someone show me how it would look? I don't want to buy it if isn't what I'm looking for.

Comments

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

I don't have time to do an actual render, but here's a quick screenshot with the two relevant mat zones off:

Screen_Shot_2012-12-14_at_7.34_.35_AM_.png
    408 x 856 - 314K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,731
    edited December 1969

There are two materials, one for the fluff and one for the underlying base. With both removed the outfit looks like this (sorry about the poke-through from the toes - my light avatars were hiding that before I rendered):

deWinter-No_Fur.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 323K
  • NakiloeNakiloe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Looks good too, and is probably much faster to render ^^

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,731
    edited December 1969

No, because as far as the renderer is concerned it's still a transmapped surface - it's just that it happens to be 0% opaque. That's why my image was later to appear, it took several minutes to render as I had ray-traced shadows on one of the lights.

• NakiloeNakiloe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If it's like santa baby, after several minutes I had only few pixels rendered :lol:

• Lady LittlefoxLady Littlefox Posts: 667
    edited December 1969

Hmmmm and thinks..... for the next one with fur, I'll do a fur hide morph. I am so sorry, didn't even think anyone would want the outfit without the fur *blushes*

If you set the fur to opaque, then pop in a deformer only attached to those mat zones and scale to 0%,, you should be able to hide and cut down the render times.... the transparency is what's killing ya....hmmmm wonder if there is a way to turn off the AO only on the fur.... hmmmmm...

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Or go into the Polygon Group Editor and turn off the visibility of the fur surfaces. That completely eliminates the surface from the render engine. Only problem is, Studio doesn't save the surface visibility flag as part of the scene, so you have to remember to do this each time you re-load the scene.

Also, I haven't loaded up deWinter yet, but I assume from the descriptions in this thread that it is built the same way as the fur in Santa Baby is. In that case, you might also try hiding only the FurTrans surface, but keep the Fur surface and apply another shader to it. The fur surface gets its fur effect using a noise displacement map with fairly tall displacement range, so without displacement, it will be a standard smooth surface. The FurTrans adds lots of little 'extras' to the fur, and would be inappropriate if you've made the Fur into say a velvet.

• Lady LittlefoxLady Littlefox Posts: 667
    edited December 1969

Oh you are a gem! That's much faster and better than a morph to boot! thank you.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Or, on those material zones simply CTRL click and make it an uber surface and ignore textures (unless it's an ubersurface already--haven't installed it yet).

In ubersurface (2?) you can turn off raytracing for those material zones.

Probably the easiest way to handle it (unless I'm all wet here).

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Thanks all. If I can raise the dress to cover the boobies a bit more (as I bet they'd get cold :D ) I'd have just what I want.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Or, on those material zones simply CTRL click and make it an uber surface and ignore textures

Can you go into a little more detail on this? I've ctrl-clicked, but I don't see anything about ubersurface.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Or, on those material zones simply CTRL click and make it an uber surface and ignore textures

Can you go into a little more detail on this? I've ctrl-clicked, but I don't see anything about ubersurface.

Yeah, guess I should.

I have UberSurface2 Base in the Shaders folder of My Library (I'm using Studio 4.5). Right click on its thumb in the Content pane and select 'Make Custom Action'. That automatically added it to my Scripts Menu.

(if it doesn't, go to Edit:Customize and expand 'Custom' under Actions on the left pane. Then on the right pane click the 'Menus' tab, expand the 'Main menu' entry and fine the &Scripts; menu. Then drag the Ubersurface entry from the Actions pane on the left and drop into the &Scripts; menu). Click Accept button to exit Customize.

Select the necessary surfaces and CTRL-click on the Ubersurface entry in your Scripts menu. This allows you the option of ignoring textures so uber doesn't remove them if you don't want them gone. In this specific case it doesn't really matter because you would have set them all to transparent anyway.

Now these material surfaces have UberSurface applied and you can scroll through and change raytrace from on to off.

BTW this works both in UberSurface and UberSurface2