Going crazy. :/

AnatisAnatis Posts: 25
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Okay, since I got no joy with 4.0 (Crashing constantly) I thought I'll give 4.5 a shot on a new machine.
Same issue.
I get 15 mins -- and kerboom. It just quits.
It doesn't seem to matter what I do, it just quits without an error message.
The last version I got to work was 3.x, and even that had "issues".
No extra plugins, nada. It doesn't seem to matter whether I try poking around with genesis, or a non genesis model.
Figure or prop - it quits on me.
I get no error messages. Digging around, I found an exception which didn't have any description. (Very helpful...)
Windows 7 Pro, 64bit
Tons of RAM, tons of disk space (several TB's), hefty graphics card, i7 processor.

Any ideas?
I have a few more days to try before my content purchases go over the 30 days. If I can't get 4.5 to work I'll have to return the stuff, as I won't be able to use it. (The horse.)

I've uninstalled and reinstalled. I've redownloaded and reinstalled. No change. It just quits.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

You need to check both your daz studio log file and your system application log for hints as to what is happening.

Remember you need to check the daz studio log file before restarting DS. To do so, go to start and type "%appdata%" in the search box. This will bring up Windows Explorer in the AppData\Roaming directory. From there go to DAZ 3D > Studio4 and look for "log.txt". Post the last 15-20 lines prior to the crash.

For your application log to to start and enter eventvwr.msc in the search box. Then go to Windows Logs > Application. Look back a few events and see if you can find something related to DAZ Studio.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Just a thought, do you have a virus protection program running? Sometimes those cause nasty conflicts. I do know that when I'm rendering, Flash is not very happy...

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

I've had similar issues, which is why I sill use DS3.

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited December 2012

I've kept the last half-dozen or so releases of DS 4/4.5, and the only version I'm able to keep running on my machine (Win7 64-bit, i3 dual-core, 6 GB RAM) for any length of time is DAZ Studio Pro BETA (4.5.0.137). The newer updates run until I load something (say, a figure or prop), and seconds after the item loads, they crash out, exactly like you're experiencing. On the other hand, the newer v1.9 installer for Genesis works with this older beta.

Post edited by Morpheon on
    edited December 1969

To those posting similar problems, the same query as to the OP is necessary if you wish resolution. Log information and/or crash data is required to try and solve the problem. :)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825
    edited December 1969

Sarsifus said:
    I've kept the last half-dozen or so releases of DS 4/4.5, and the only version I'm able to keep running on my machine (Win7 64-bit, i3 dual-core, 6 GB RAM) for any length of time is DAZ Studio Pro BETA (4.5.0.137). The newer updates run until I load something (say, a figure or prop), and seconds after the item loads, they crash out, exactly like you're experiencing. On the other hand, the newer v1.9 installer for Genesis works with this older beta.

What options do you have set under Edit>Preferences>Interface>OpenGL?

edited December 1969

Sarsifus said:

What options do you have set under Edit>Preferences>Interface>OpenGL?

It's a fairly low-end one-year-old Dell laptop with an Intel integrated video chipset, so it's nothing fancy. Here's what comes up when I click on the "Current Hardware Features" tab (for DAZ Studio Pro BETA 4.5.0.137):

Current OpenGL Version:
    3.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2827

OpenGL Provider:
    Intel

Hardware:
    Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Features:

MultiTexturing
    Supported

Shadow Map
    Supported

Hardware Antialiasing
    Supported

OpenGL Shading Language
    Supported

Pixel Buffer
    Supported

Pixel Buffer Size
    1024 x 1024

Maximum Number of Lights

Number of Texture Units

Maximum Texture Size
    8192 x 8192

I've run several different versions of DS 4 or 4.5 on it, and they all look way better and run faster than the copy of Poser Pro 2012 I borrowed for comparison purposes. Like I said, the last two versions of DS 4.5 ( DAZ Studio Pro BETA 4.5.1.41 and DAZ Studio 4.5.1.6) run until I load content into the scene, and as soon as the item finishes loading, DS immediately crashes out to the desktop.

OpenGL_Settings_01.jpg
    861 x 642 - 93K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 2012

Sarsifus said:

Current OpenGL Version:

OpenGL Provider:
    Intel

Hardware:

The bold IS your problem...

Is this a laptop?

If not, then get a real video card...Intel's OpenGL implementation is flaky, at best.

If it's a laptop...play driver roulette. Try back versions (2 or 3 back) up to and including the latest version for your chipset. If your hardware is capable of it (isn't some unusual screen resolution or special features) then maybe trying the 'reference drivers'...DO NOT, under any circumstances, use any that may come through Windows Update. Try seeing what your laptop manufacturer supplies first. Some are pretty good about keeping current with Intel releases.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Sarsifus said:

Current OpenGL Version:

OpenGL Provider:
    Intel

Hardware:

Is this a laptop?

If not, then get a real video card...Intel's OpenGL implementation is flaky, at best.

If it's a laptop...play driver roulette. Try back versions (2 or 3 back) up to and including the latest version for your chipset. If your hardware is capable of it (isn't some unusual screen resolution or special features) then maybe trying the 'reference drivers'...DO NOT, under any circumstances, use any that may come through Windows Update. Try seeing what your laptop manufacturer supplies first. Some are pretty good about keeping current with Intel releases.

Like I said, it's a one-year-old Dell laptop -- replacing the integrated Intel video chipset is NOT an option. I've already updated the video driver at least twice (the last time about two months ago) with drivers downloaded directly from Intel. I agree with you: I'm not impressed with Intel's handling of OpenGL, either, but DAZ Studio Pro BETA (4.5.0.137) and Poser Pro 2012 (I forget which version exactly, since I uninstalled it) both run just fine under it, while the two newer versions of DS crash constantly. Should there be enough of a difference from one version of DS4.5 to the next that this would become an issue?

edited December 2012

doubled...

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

Sarsifus said:
    mjc1016 said:
    Sarsifus said:

Current OpenGL Version:

OpenGL Provider:
    Intel

Hardware:

Is this a laptop?

Like I said, it's a one-year-old Dell laptop -- replacing the integrated Intel video chipset is NOT an option. I've already updated the video driver at least twice (the last time about two months ago) with drivers downloaded directly from Intel. I agree with you: I'm not impressed with Intel's handling of OpenGL, either, but DAZ Studio Pro BETA (4.5.0.137) and Poser Pro 2012 (I forget which version exactly, since I uninstalled it) both run just fine under it, while the two newer versions of DS crash constantly. Should there be enough of a difference from one version of DS4.5 to the next that this would become an issue?

There was a change with 4.5.1.6 that makes it much more picky about OpenGL...basically, if OpenGL isn't working right, DS won't, either.

You are probably crashing when the progress bar hits 100%, right before the dialog box disappears, right?

There's a chance, not a big one, but a chance that you could use the 32 bit version with out crashing...but then you'd lose the ability to use all your RAM (DS32 won't be able to use more than 4 GB).

edited December 1969

Actually, what seems to trigger the crash is -- immediately after the selected content loads into the scene -- if I don't do anything (and I mean ANYTHING), the crash isn't immediate. The moment I try to manipulate anything or select a tool, BOOM! Down she goes. The comment about 4.5.1.6 and the change(s) DAZ made to how DS handles OpenGL is great -- that just occurred to me, and I was just about to dive into the threads about it to see what I could find about it.

edited December 2012

Sarsifus said:
    Actually, what seems to trigger the crash is -- immediately after the selected content loads into the scene -- if I don't do anything (and I mean ANYTHING), the crash isn't immediate. The moment I try to manipulate anything or select a tool, BOOM! Down she goes. The comment about 4.5.1.6 and the change(s) DAZ made to how DS handles OpenGL is great -- that just occurred to me, and I was just about to dive into the threads about it to see what I could find about it.
    Bring up your task manager.

Watch the list for "tdlmake.exe". Once all of those are gone out of the list, try your manipulation. If that doesn't do it, change your OpenGL slider from max quality to performance. A crash detail report is still needed to properly diagnose the issue. Otherwise we're just shooting in the dark.

Post edited by adamr001 on
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    Sarsifus said:
    Bring up your task manager.

Watch the list for "tdlmake.exe". Once all of those are gone out of the list, try your manipulation. If that doesn't do it, change your OpenGL slider from max quality to performance. A crash detail report is still needed to properly diagnose the issue. Otherwise we're just shooting in the dark.

Hey, thank you for the advice. I was actually just commiserating with the original poster about DAZ Studio crashing -- I didn't mean to turn this into a conversation about ME. Actually, right now, I have DAZ Studio Pro BETA 4.5.0.137 installed, and it's doing everything I need it to do - -the crashes I was experiencing were all with the newer versions. I will bookmark this conversation, and when the next update arrives, I will definitely apply this information if it behaves similarly. From what I'm reading, it sounds like a change was made to the way DS handles OpenGL? I'd like to know more about this, please. Thanks...

edited December 1969

I'd have to go back through the changelogs to dig them out but they were performance related. Another option is to try and turn Display Optimization Off.

• tiagoandriottitiagoandriotti Posts: 39
    edited December 1969

I had a lot of problems on DS3 while I was using the 32bit version, most of it was because of the preview and memory limit.

On DS3a x64 I had no more problems. Some projects take more than 9gb of ram

DS4 - Didn`t work. I resigned using this

DS4.5 - Works fine :)

Remember that it is better build the scene loading the props/characters from the library than loading old scenes from DS3.

Using old scenes might bring you a lot of problems but you can use them if you manage to resolve all the log problems.

Remember also to improve speed performance in the preferences of the program. A good preview asks for a monster video card.

• AnatisAnatis Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

Sorry, was incommunicado for a few days. :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sarsifus said:
    The moment I try to manipulate anything or select a tool, BOOM! Down she goes.

Interesting, because that's what I get.

The log file lists a lot of this:
    Imported: HeadSpikes_H.cr2
    Building Scene...
    File loaded in 0 min 0.4 sec.
    Loaded file: HeadSpikes_H.cr2
    WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 1 unknown for QWidget)
    WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 2 unknown for QWidget)
    WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 1 unknown for QWidget)
    WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 5 unknown for QWidget)
    WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 2 unknown for QWidget)
    WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 8 unknown for QWidget)
    WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 3 unknown for QWidget)
    WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 32 unknown for QWidget)
    WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 8 unknown for QWidget)

But no other errors that I can see. (Those are the last few lines in the log file.)

I do not install 32bit, because of RAM issues. I like to use all my RAM. :)
    I did have a faulty RAM module, so I'm down to 8gb at the moment until the replacement gets here.
    Intel Core i7 3770 -- not exactly a slack processor.
    NVidia Gforce GTX 660 Ti (2gb) -- not a slack Graphics Card either.

I'm about to give up. :/

edited December 2012

Anatis said:
    Sorry, was incommunicado for a few days. :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sarsifus said:
    The moment I try to manipulate anything or select a tool, BOOM! Down she goes.

Interesting, because that's what I get.

The log file lists a lot of this:
    Imported: HeadSpikes_H.cr2
    Building Scene...
    File loaded in 0 min 0.4 sec.
    Loaded file: HeadSpikes_H.cr2
    WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 5 unknown for QWidget)
    WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 3 unknown for QWidget)
    WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 32 unknown for QWidget)

But no other errors that I can see. (Those are the last few lines in the log file.)

I do not install 32bit, because of RAM issues. I like to use all my RAM. :)
    I did have a faulty RAM module, so I'm down to 8gb at the moment until the replacement gets here.
    Intel Core i7 3770 -- not exactly a slack processor.
    NVidia Gforce GTX 660 Ti (2gb) -- not a slack Graphics Card either.

I'm about to give up. :/

I'm using the 64-bit version of DAZ Studio Pro BETA (4.5.0.137). I try not to use 32-bit software any more than I have to, and in fact, I don't believe I've used ANY 32-bit version of DS 4/4.5 -- I'll have to try that, and see if it makes any difference.

Post edited by Morpheon on
    edited December 1969

The "WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID # unknown for QWidget)" entries are nothing to be concerned about. Its an over-zealous warning in Qt (you'll find the same message in the DAZ Studio log) when accessibility features are enabled for the OS. Yes, ultimately it should be fixed at some point... but it isn't really hurting anything (its a warning, not an error) and it requires a change to the Qt source.

If that's all you see in the daz studio log, then the windows log is the next step...

edited December 1969

Nothing in the Windows log. I've already been through that.
    (First place I look.)

DS4 did the same thing.

I've had trouble with DS from the get go, the only version I ever managed to get (sort of) running was DS3. And some of the "updates" killed it on my box, making me roll back to a previous version to be able to use it at all.

P.S. Poser Pro runs like a charm, rendering some quite intense scenes with atmosphere and DOF etc, so it's not caused by an overloaded system, either.

If it were just a certain prop / figure, I'd understand it. But it doesn't seem to matter what I load.
    I haven't installed any plugins either. I have no idea which of my plugins work with DS4.5, and updating them is a pain in the whatsit now, since I can't freaking FIND anything in my order history...so I wanted to get things running first, before I spend hours trying to figure out which plugins I bought.
    (Hi, Daz, you need to fix that crappy itemized order history.)

edited December 1969

Anatis said:
    Nothing in the Windows log. I've already been through that.
    (First place I look.)

DS4 did the same thing.

I've had trouble with DS from the get go, the only version I ever managed to get (sort of) running was DS3. And some of the "updates" killed it on my box, making me roll back to a previous version to be able to use it at all.

P.S. Poser Pro runs like a charm, rendering some quite intense scenes with atmosphere and DOF etc, so it's not caused by an overloaded system, either.

If it were just a certain prop / figure, I'd understand it. But it doesn't seem to matter what I load.
    I haven't installed any plugins either. I have no idea which of my plugins work with DS4.5, and updating them is a pain in the whatsit now, since I can't freaking FIND anything in my order history...so I wanted to get things running first, before I spend hours trying to figure out which plugins I bought.
    (Hi, Daz, you need to fix that crappy itemized order history.)

Id have to agree. This past weekend, I did a test run on a borrowed copy of Poser Pro 2012, and it ran just fine with the same content and on the same machine I'm running DAZ Studio on. I have issues with Poser's interface (which feels very clunky and counter-intuitive to me), but I don't have issues with Poser's performance. I'd say I put in about 20+ hrs. with PP2012, and it NEVER crashed or locked up once, where crashing is simply a way of life with DS.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,844
    edited December 1969

Age old problem, graphics cards that can't cope with the OpenGL requirements of DS.

Intel's are just crap, most of their chipsets only have the very basic functions of OpenGL in them, not to mention that the chipset in your craptop is probably one of their cheap & nasty ones as well as being a few years older than the craptop it's in.

nVidia are meant to be the best when it comes to OpenGL functionality, my GT430 doesn't have any problems running DS4.5, but I have heard a few things that makes me think their crown might be slipping.

Poser has very little OpenGL requirements which is why it runs on graphics cards/chipsets that DS crashes on, I think you could probably run Poser on the really crappy drivers that Microsuck ship with Windows.

edited December 2012

Bejaymac said:
    Age old problem, graphics cards that can't cope with the OpenGL requirements of DS..

If that were the issue, then I wouldn't be crashing. Consistently.
    I repeat:
    Intel Core i7 3770—not exactly a slack processor.
    NVidia Gforce GTX 660 Ti (2gb)—not a slack Graphics Card either.
    Normally 16gb RAM, currently down to 8 because of a faulty chip. (I had this problem while running on 16gb too, and thought the problem was the faulty RAM chip, but it wasn't.)
    Several TB's of space, fast Motherboard...

Hardly something that can't handle whatever I throw at it -- so the "Craptop" comment above isn't the core of the problem. Something else is, and it's not playing nice with my machine, and it's obviously not playing nice with other boxes, either. (Considering we have the same problem.)
    I do have a strong antivirus and firewall. However, I am *not* *ever* going to follow any suggestion that says "Turn them off". Software needs to work properly with Antivirus and Firewall enabled, or it can take a hike. :) (And yes, I checked those logs too. Nada.)

We're not talking complex scenes, either. I can load a figure or two, manipulate one for a few minutes -- boom. Seriously, no more than 2 figures, no lights, no textures, hardly any morphs -- and I crash.
    (Mildragon 2 and a headspike prop is hardly taxing the limits!)

Actually, I wouldn't even call it a crash. It just quits. Closes. No warning, no error message, nothing. The application just closes. No prompt to save, nothing.

Post edited by Anatis on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Your specifications are higher than mine (apart from the RAM, I have 32GB) ... and DS doesn't close on me. So that's not the problem.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448, 1280 MB
    Driver version 306.97
    Intel Core i7-2700K

*wanders off to search*
    Stupid question: maybe it is searching for Content?
    http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=120645&view=next
    I don't use Content Database thingies or SmartContent, so I don't know about these.
    Did you look at Edit / Preferences? I have turned off the checking for updates for DazStudio. Maybe that's it.
    Maybe it is something in the Interface options ...

InterfacePreferences.jpg
    493 x 515 - 73K
    edited December 1969

Anatis said:
    Bejaymac said:
    Age old problem, graphics cards that can't cope with the OpenGL requirements of DS..

If that were the issue, then I wouldn't be crashing. Consistently.
    I repeat:
    Intel Core i7 3770—not exactly a slack processor.
    NVidia Gforce GTX 660 Ti (2gb)—not a slack Graphics Card either.
    Normally 16gb RAM, currently down to 8 because of a faulty chip. (I had this problem while running on 16gb too, and thought the problem was the faulty RAM chip, but it wasn't.)
    Several TB's of space, fast Motherboard...

Hardly something that can't handle whatever I throw at it -- so the "Craptop" comment above isn't the core of the problem. Something else is, and it's not playing nice with my machine, and it's obviously not playing nice with other boxes, either. (Considering we have the same problem.)
    I do have a strong antivirus and firewall. However, I am *not* *ever* going to follow any suggestion that says "Turn them off". Software needs to work properly with Antivirus and Firewall enabled, or it can take a hike. :) (And yes, I checked those logs too. Nada.)

We're not talking complex scenes, either. I can load a figure or two, manipulate one for a few minutes -- boom. Seriously, no more than 2 figures, no lights, no textures, hardly any morphs -- and I crash.
    (Mildragon 2 and a headspike prop is hardly taxing the limits!)

Actually, I wouldn't even call it a crash. It just quits. Closes. No warning, no error message, nothing. The application just closes. No prompt to save, nothing. Which drivers are you using for your nVidia card? Are you using the Microsoft drivers, the OEM drivers or the reference drivers by nVidia?

If you're using the M$ drivers, then toss 'em and use either the OEM or nVidia reference drivers. Depending on who makes your particular nVidia would determine which I used.

Crashes like you're describing almost have to be video related since it's during view port manipulation. Another thing to check, as noted earlier are your inferface settings. Please post a screen grab of them here for us to look at.

Thanks!

edited December 1969

Anatis said:
    Actually, I wouldn't even call it a crash. It just quits. Closes. No warning, no error message, nothing. The application just closes. No prompt to save, nothing.

Exactly. The application just disappears, a window pops up running a progress bar for a few seconds, and then it too disappears -- no prompting to send an error report to DAZ, nothing.

edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    Crashes like you're describing almost have to be video related since it's during view port manipulation. Another thing to check, as noted earlier are your inferface settings.

This is what I've been suspecting, since the crash doesn't occur until I attempt to make a change that would alter the display (rotate a view, open a menu, etc.).

edited December 2012

I use NVidia drivers, and I'm very anal about my drivers. :)
    NVidia drivers sometimes cause more problems than they fix and a rollback is needed (I had one version which pretty much killed Flash), but on a whole, they tend to be good.
    And yes, Sarsifus, I get exactly the same thing. Only without the progress bar! (I suspect my monster works too fast and it's gone before I see it.)

Oh, and I've tried just about every setting under the sun in the preferences. No change. That was my first port of call. I thought okay, something's off, let's see if I have the settings wrong.

Can't be content. It's a clean install with no other content installed except the dragon and a couple of simple props, and what came with the installer (Genesis). Figured I'll get my head around the interface and stuff before I install much.
    Been there before. :/

Post edited by Anatis on
    edited December 1969

God, I am so, so, so fed up with this.
    Tried again, and no matter what I do, or what I use -- boom.
    I get 10-15 mins, one figure. If I go and do *anything* with it, DS simply shuts down without warning or errors.
    I've had it.
    I've truly had it.
    The horse is going back. I haven't even installed it yet, and I'm fed up with trying to get the software to work.

edited December 1969

Anatis said:
    God, I am so, so, so fed up with this.
    Tried again, and no matter what I do, or what I use -- boom.
    I get 10-15 mins, one figure. If I go and do *anything* with it, DS simply shuts down without warning or errors.
    I've had it.
    I've truly had it.
    The horse is going back. I haven't even installed it yet, and I'm fed up with trying to get the software to work.

The best suggestion I can give you is -- if you are determined to use DAZ Studio -- to go back to an earlier version, which is what I've done. I'm using DAZ Studio Pro BETA (4.5.0.137) with the v1.9 Genesis installer (for the rare occasion I use Genesis). This is the last version I'm able to use on my machine -- DAZ changed something (God only knows what) between this version and the next, which is causing the problems you and I (and probably a lot of other folks who haven't spoken up) have experienced. DS is still a work in progress, so maybe they'll get it right with the next update...