Star Trek Builders Unite 2 "Renderings on the Edge of Forever"

Comments

• MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

distance lights dont work to well inside
    but you could use linear point lights instead then ( just substitute one in each place with same colours and settings basicly - might need a few more , just experiment

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

If I might share a thought, an idea about the Cheron figures.

You know, we don't have many people who naturally have black 'and' white skin ... but on our pets, very generally speaking, pink skin produces white fur and black skin produces black fur.
    In people with "any" dark type of skin, hair might be 'grey, black, yellow or brown'. The very white skin will more likely produce a shade of red hair.
    Might make for some interesting hairdos if we also split the hair colour? Just an idea.

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 617
    edited December 2012

A "teaser" trailer for the new Abrams' film, "Star Trek: Into Darkness"--before the "real trailers" are supposed to start Monday (acording to the info in the link).

http://www.space.com/18793-star-trek-into-darkness-teaser-reveals-first-footage.html

It's got me a little curious as to who the villian is supposed to be....after all, with the reboot, this Kirk is too new for racking up that kind of enemies' list.

The voice sounds a lot like Nero, but he got squished in the black hole.

Could be one of the millions of fans whom Abrams pissed off with the reboot, but with most every single one still living in their mother's basement, none of them will have the reasources to pull off a caper this big.

There is one other possibility....Kirk's foster dad. After all, young Jimmy DID wreck his car ;-P

Those are all I can think of. Anybody else got ideas?

Post edited by Ryuu@AMcCF on
  • DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

Those are all I can think of. Anybody else got ideas?

Apparently he's called John Harrison, and the p;icture they've released has him in a Starfleet Uniform.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-12-11/star-trek-into-darkness-benedict-cumberbatch-character-named

• PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 2012

MotoTsume said:
    here is an easy 3 light portrait setup

you would play with the shadow setting on the 3th light

and you can add more light of different types as needed or wanted

A suggestion to your light setup and one that won't take up much time on the render is add a distant light 45 degrees to the left or right of the camera. You may need to parent/child this to the camera.

Set the new light to grey (aka 50%) and set it to 25-50% for intensity but turn it to specular lighting. This will help give the clothing a slight shine if you are looking for a satin,rubber, latex look. The draw back is if you have specular settings for the characters skin, it too will shine. Sabby's skins over at Rendo almost all have specular settings.

When I finish up the last of the novel (which should be out by monday given that aren't any real-life problems to hamper things) I'll post my lighting set up I used for the current graphic novel and lighting for my previous novels.

Pardon the pun, sorry Poser users...you're in the dark.

-Paul

Post edited by PDSmith on
  • GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,036
    edited December 1969

T'would appear that my image issue has finally been fixed. I can now see avatars and attachments when I visit the forums. I had said something to our IT dept about maybe that cloudflare.com was being blocked but he never responded back. I just figured it was with the trojan virus issue that had showed up on our servers was why that he hadnt responded. It wasnt fixed yesterday and was still not working this morning. But now it seems to working for the time being. Hope it stays that way!

David

edited December 2012

Freebie list has been modded and updated.

Each section has approximately 10,000 character left for updateing.

New items in the last few days will be added shortly.

There will be more chages for the next few days but this is the big change.

-Paul

Post edited by PDSmith on
  • wolfgang_1wolfgang_1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

jaguarry3 said:
    MotoTsume said:
    now that Doomsday device is available, thinking we now LOL need a damaged Constellation Class :P

There is one about somewhere. I have this in my runtime but its been around so long and I have rebuilt my runtime so many times I have no idea where I got it perhaps some one out there will be able to enlighten us
    I think it´s from http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_addon_details.php?addon_id=1285
    It must be an 3ds file , am I right ?

fic_startrek_L_374_System_2__fungun[1].jpg
    1024 x 603 - 192K
  • NV OracleNV Oracle Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

Moto, and Paul,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions on the lighting. I'll play around with them, and see what happens.

Your friend
    Oracle

• PtropePtrope Posts: 679
    edited December 1969

List looks good! :)

Juts a few updates - I didn't know these were missing from the list:

Prop (TOS - alternative):
    Project Golem - Torc: http://www.ShareCG.com/v/66041/view/11/Poser/Project-Golem---Torc
    Prop (TOS):
    Feinberg Collection: http://www.ShareCG.com/v/51098/view/11/Poser/The-Feinberg-Collection---1

Ship (TOS):
    Lazarus Time-Ship: http://www.ShareCG.com/v/63569/view/11/Poser/Lazarus-TimeShip
    Starkiller's Connie - Expansion Set 1: http://www.ShareCG.com/v/51895/view/11/Poser/Connie-Parts-Expansion-Set-1-for-Starkillers-set

Sets & Furniture (TOS)
    Beta-5 Computer: http://www.ShareCG.com/v/50917/view/11/Poser/Beta-5-Computer

Sets & Furniture (TOS Alternative):
    TAStrogator: http://www.ShareCG.com/v/50502/view/11/Poser/TAStrogator---Starship-Navigation-Station

edited December 1969

Ptrope said:
    List looks good! :)

Juts a few updates - I didn't know these were missing from the list:

Updated..Thanks.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,877
    edited December 2012

The USS Enterprise NCC 1701-E has been submitted to Trekmeshes and F3D.

When it is available again, please see the readme about the mapping.

For your reference, here is a RAR file containg renders of the ship in 3D Studio Max
    http://www.mediafire.com/?zn9nsiradnicony

Images Below were rendered in DS and Poser

Enterprise-E-Poser-02.jpg
    900 x 900 - 424K
    Enterprise-E-02.jpg
    900 x 900 - 472K
    Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

PDSmith said:

-Paul

Just took a look. That's one BIG list. Hard to beleive that everything on that list is Free.

edited December 1969

NV Oracle said:
    Moto, and Paul,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions on the lighting. I'll play around with them, and see what happens.

Your friend
    Oracle

Oracle, if you really want to do more 'Trek art- and I know you mentioned wanting to do your own graphic novel some day- then make sure you find time to go through The List. Just about any standard thing you might need- and by that I mean stuff that's not "Story specific" can be found there.

Paul, are MM's converted ships part of the,list ?

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

PDSmith said:

-Paul

Looks good. And I know how much work all that was, thank you.

• ThalekThalek Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

Thanks, PD! You de Admin!

• NV OracleNV Oracle Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    NV Oracle said:
    Moto, and Paul,

Your friend
    Oracle

Oracle, if you really want to do more 'Trek art- and I know you mentioned wanting to do your own graphic novel some day- then make sure you find time to go through The List. Just about any standard thing you might need- and by that I mean stuff that's not "Story specific" can be found there.

Thanks for that suggestion as well, Madison.

I know that's one thing I have been meaning to do. Several months back, when my access to the internet was re-established as more consistent, I went through the list then, and one thing that I noticed is that most of the morphs, or at least the ones that I tried for M4 and V4 were no longer available, so I was a bit bummed about that, but as far as sets, clothes, skins, etc., I'm definitely going to have to go back through that list with a fine toothed comb. Thanks for the reminder though.

Your friend
    Oracle

• bwaomegabwaomega Posts: 220
    edited December 1969

NV Oracle said:
    mdbruffy said:
    NV Oracle said:
    Moto, and Paul,

Your friend
    Oracle

I know that's one thing I have been meaning to do. Several months back, when my access to the internet was re-established as more consistent, I went through the list then, and one thing that I noticed is that most of the morphs, or at least the ones that I tried for M4 and V4 were no longer available, so I was a bit bummed about that, but as far as sets, clothes, skins, etc., I'm definitely going to have to go back through that list with a fine toothed comb. Thanks for the reminder though.

Your friend
    Oracle

Part of the reason for that was probably that Werts' morphs were removed after someone accused him of breaking the distribution rules. I'm not going to judge whether the accusation had merit or not, since the rules are a little tricky, and I haven't looked into exactly what Werts included in his files.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 2012

Mattymanx said:
    The USS Enterprise NCC 1701-E has been submitted to Trekmeshes and F3D.

Excellent! And it's got a little Captain's Yacht model — even better! Looking forward to getting this in my hot little hands...

Speaking of which, did anyone ever do a model of the Captain's Yacht for the Enterprise-D? From the pics in my old copy of the ST:TNG Tech Manual, it looks very nice, kind of like a squished Galaxy-class saucer.

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
    edited December 2012

bwaomega said:
    NV Oracle said:
    mdbruffy said:
    NV Oracle said:
    Moto, and Paul,

Your friend
    Oracle

Your friend
    Oracle

Part of the reason for that was probably that Werts' morphs were removed after someone accused him of breaking the distribution rules. I'm not going to judge whether the accusation had merit or not, since the rules are a little tricky, and I haven't looked into exactly what Werts included in his files.

There's no set-in-stone rule that says you have to use the latest model available- especially when you're doing still images. Now, if you're doing animation, then of course you want the best rigged figure you can find. But if the morphs and clothing for an older figure work for you, there's no reason not to use them. I've been using M3 for Spock and V3 for Jan since 2008- 4 years ago- Primarily because the others weren't out yet, but even if they had been, the morph package I use for Jan won't work for V4. I talked with Illusion Designs- the folks that came up with the package- and they said they tried to re-create the morph for V4 but the figures were too different. So I'm left with using V3 for Nova Trek till the series is done- some time around 2019.

Heck in book 3, I even had to resort to Poser 5's Don- because his head had the only morphs that would do what I wanted. And talk about trying to find clothes for a Poser 5 figure in this day and age!!!!

Post edited by mdbruffy on
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    NV Oracle said:
    Moto, and Paul,

Your friend
    Oracle

Madison,

I've tried to stay on top of all the converted ships posted. I think I have them all so far. Shadowhawk has been harping on me to make sure I know about the latest and greatest release. I've been adding them by name or class, pretty much however the ships have been posted by name.

All,

Thanks for the compliments everyone, but I do ask one thing....I go by Paul....PD just seems so impersonal.

-Paul

edited December 1969

PDSmith said:

Madison,

I've tried to stay on top of all the converted ships posted. I think I have them all so far. Shadowhawk has been harping on me to make sure I know about the latest and greatest release. I've been adding them by name or class, pretty much however the ships have been posted by name.

All,

Thanks for the compliments everyone, but I do ask one thing....I go by Paul....PD just seems so impersonal.

-Paul

Okay. :-)

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    There's no set-in-stone rule that says you have to use the latest model available- especially when you're doing still images. Now, if you're doing animation, then of course you want the best rigged figure you can find. But if the morphs and clothing for an older figure work for you, there's no reason not to use them. I've been using M3 for Spock and V3 for Jan since 2008- 4 years ago- Primarily because the others weren't out yet, but even if they had been, the morph package I use for Jan won't work for V4. I talked with Illusion Designs- the folks that came up with the package- and they said they tried to re-create the morph for V4 but the figures were too different. So I'm left with using V3 for Nova Trek till the series is done- some time around 2019.

This may not be of interest, and/or you may know already and have rejected the option for one reason or another, but in case you don't know and it might be of interest:

Genesis - which can be used in Poser 9/Pro 2012 now, of course - has a V3 morph available that will make it look just like V3. The morph is also split head/body so you can just have V3 head with V4 body ... or V5, S3, S4, S5, A3 etc etc body. And the GenX plugin will convert any V3 morphs to work with Genesis; it will even combine a mix of, say, 20 variously dialled V3 head morphs all together into one morph and transfer that single morph to Genesis if that's preferable for the purpose. And if you dial up the GenX transferred V3 head morphs on Genesis with the Genesis V3 base head morph applied, the Genesis head will look exactly the same as the original V3 morphed head.

So you could recreate your ... 'Jan', is it? ... character head on Genesis exactly, with whatever body you liked below - the same V3 shape with transferred V3 body morphs, or a V4, V5, S5 etc based body. And that would be a Jan with the normal Genesis feature of being a latest tech, weight mapped, very well bending/posing figure. Plus V3 clothing and hair can be transferred over with autofit in DS before then loading into Poser.

You would want DS4.5 (free), plus the DSON loader for Poser if using the figure in Poser. And you would need the (not free) GenX plugin, the GenX V3 add-on, and the V3 base shape for Genesis. (You don't need DS4.5 to load and use Genesis in Poser - just the DSON loader plugin for Poser. But you would need DS4.5 simply to run the GenX plugin to convert the V3 head morphs to Genesis. Not then to use them - after doing the conversion, DS4.5 can just be forgotten again as the next load of Genesis in Poser would then have the V3 head morphs appearing in it to dial up in Poser.)

Note that while Genesis will take V4 and M4 textures (as well as various other UV mappings), there are currently no V3 or M3 UV sets available for it. So you could transfer the shape of your characters, but not the textures. That woulld need either finding an equivalent set of V4 textures, or converting the V3 ones to V4 mapping with something like Texture Converter.

edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    mdbruffy said:

This may not be of interest, and/or you may know already and have rejected the option for one reason or another, but in case you don't know and it might be of interest:

Genesis - which can be used in Poser 9/Pro 2012 now, of course - has a V3 morph available that will make it look just like V3. The morph is also split head/body so you can just have V3 head with V4 body ... or V5, S3, S4, S5, A3 etc etc body. And the GenX plugin will convert any V3 morphs to work with Genesis; it will even combine a mix of, say, 20 variously dialled V3 head morphs all together into one morph and transfer that single morph to Genesis if that's preferable for the purpose. And if you dial up the GenX transferred V3 head morphs on Genesis with the Genesis V3 base head morph applied, the Genesis head will look exactly the same as the original V3 morphed head.

So you could recreate your ... 'Jan', is it? ... character head on Genesis exactly, with whatever body you liked below - the same V3 shape with transferred V3 body morphs, or a V4, V5, S5 etc based body. And that would be a Jan with the normal Genesis feature of being a latest tech, weight mapped, very well bending/posing figure. Plus V3 clothing and hair can be transferred over with autofit in DS before then loading into Poser.

You would want DS4.5 (free), plus the DSON loader for Poser if using the figure in Poser. And you would need the (not free) GenX plugin, the GenX V3 add-on, and the V3 base shape for Genesis. (You don't need DS4.5 to load and use Genesis in Poser - just the DSON loader plugin for Poser. But you would need DS4.5 simply to run the GenX plugin to convert the V3 head morphs to Genesis. Not then to use them - after doing the conversion, DS4.5 can just be forgotten again as the next load of Genesis in Poser would then have the V3 head morphs appearing in it to dial up in Poser.)

Note that while Genesis will take V4 and M4 textures (as well as various other UV mappings), there are currently no V3 or M3 UV sets available for it. So you could transfer the shape of your characters, but not the textures. That woulld need either finding an equivalent set of V4 textures, or converting the V3 ones to V4 mapping with something like Texture Converter.

So you're saying that V4 can be made to take V3's morphs via Genesis- once you've dealt with the learning curve and jumped through al the needed hoops. I've been a Poser user since P5. I've tried D/S before and I couldn't get the hang of the interface. I have the characters already done up. So I'll pass for now. There are six books to go- counting the one I'm preping now. Hopefully I can get them done sooner than 2019- (fingers crossed against any future comp problems...)

edited December 1969

Open note to Rduda and Ptrope- please check your e-mails. Thanks.

• mylochkamylochka Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Paul -- That list is looking great! I like that you went to the extra trouble to put in an explanation of the standard abbreviations. Probably very confusing to newcomers.

The list is soooooooooo big!! My heart swells with pride at our combined accomplishment! Way to go United Star Trek Builders!

edited December 2012

mdbruffy said:
    So you're saying that V4 can be made to take V3's morphs via Genesis-

No. I'm not saying anything about V4 taking V3 morphs.

I'm saying that Genesis can take V3 morphs. Genesis can morph into V3's shape, or S3, A3, G3, M3, D3, F3, H3, V4, S4, A4, G4, M4, F4, or H4. And it can have any of those figures' morphs converted to it. That means you can transfer any character you have made or bought for V3, S3, A3, G3, M3, D3, F3, H3, V4, S4, A4, G4, M4, F4, or H4 to Genesis. The character will look exactly the same (well, 99% the same) as a Genesis character, but will have snazzy, weight mapped bending for when you pose her/him. Plus you can add in things like the Evolution Muscularity morphs so all the muscles flex and relax as they should as you pose him/her. So you can have a Genesis version of a V3 character - in Poser so long as you have Poser 9 or Pro 2012 - that looks exactly the same as your V3 version - except it will bend really nicely, no generation 3 spaghetti arms and bowling ball shoulders, and can also wear any clothes made for any of the figures I've listed.

once you've dealt with the learning curve and jumped through al the needed hoops.

I don't know what these hoops are. Run the DSON importer plugin installer and Genesis starter content installer, then start Poser 9 or Pro 2012, go into your Poser content as normal, figure library, DAZ People folder and load Genesis. It loads, No hoops.

There's only one important thing, and that's to point the installers at the right places. The DSON importer installer needs to be pointed at the Poser 9 or Pro 2012 program folder. So on a Windows machine that's something like c:/Program Files/Smith Micro/Poser Pro 2012/ in other words the folder where the poserpro.exe or poser.exe is. That's simply because it's installing python scripts, and they have to be in the main program folder, not in another runtime. The Genesis starter content installer you just install like any other content from DAZ - point it at the folder with the runtime in it that you want to install to.

Really, no hoops. Most people who had trouble initailly after the release of the DSON importer it was simply that they installed to the wrong places. That or they didn't actually have Poser 9 or Pro 2012, or they had but hadn't updated their Poser to the latest service release, which is the other requirement. (And another thing to remember is that in the forums you tended only to see posts from the folk who had problems. People who had no problems had no reason to post. And the number who posted with problems was a tiny fraction of those who downloaded the DSON importer.)

I've been a Poser user since P5. I've tried D/S before and I couldn't get the hang of the interface.

You don't need to. Just enough (after running the installers for it, and GenX and the GenX gen3 plugin) to open DS, make the GenX tab visible, and work the genx tab to convert the morphs you want to convert. And that's simple. You can actually just drag and drop a 'Jen' cr2 onto the GenX tab and then tell it to convert. You only need to learn the GenX interface (which is easy), and nothing at all about the DS4 around it other than after starting DS4.5, what menu on the menubar to go into to click on the GenX entry to make the GenX tab appear.

That's one thing that's always puzzled me. In my time using Poser (since P4 and all versions since other than P5 which I skipped) and DS (since 0.9), I've used a lot of 3rd party utilities. Morph-to-clothes ones like The Tailor, Morph Magic, Morphing Clothes; clothes converters like Wardrobe Wizard and Crossdresser; others like Autogroup Editor, Deep File Editor, pz3edit, Morph Manager, MorphMasterPro, 2nd Skin, Morph Exchange, Cr2 Editor, Texture Converter 2, Puppet Master Biped, UVMapper, RTEncoder, and a bunch of others I can't even remember right now. And I know that a lot of Poser users do quite happily use at least some of these, and other utilities I haven;t listed, never mind outright modelling and texturing programs, to do things to figures and props and prepare things for eventual scene building and rendering in Poser.

But I've happily used both Poser and DS, and during periods when I was principally composing scenes and rendering in DS, I've still used Poser as one of the utilities, along with the others, to prepare figures and props for use in DS. Like for rigging before DS would rig. Or just for magneting, limited by material, as DS will magnet the same, but not only selected materials. Or I've fired up Poser just to use PuppetMasterBiped to convert poses from V3 to V4, say, for use in a scene I was doing in DS because DS had no function for that. And similarly, during periods where I've been using Poser to build and render scenes, I've still used DS, alongside other utilities, just to prepare things for use in Poser simply because DS had the best tool for the jobs - like creating injection poses for V4, or turning a set of PBMCC injection poses into ExP poses so they wouldn't conflict with another vendors PBMCC injection poses that use the same channels.

I've never unnderstood quite why many Poser users won't - given that DS, and the Pro version at that, is free - even contemplate having DS and using it not as the program they build scenes in and render in, but simply as just another one of those utilities, alongside the others they do happily use, for doing odd things that it happens to be able to do or contains a plugin with a handy function. For example, the case in point - starting DS4 and clicking in the menu for GenX to convert any V3 morphs and characters to Genesis for use in Poser, just as I've started Poser just to click in a menu for PMB to convert a V3 pose to V4. And to use GenX in DS you don't have to use any of the rest of DS4 at all, whereas to use PMB you do still need to know how to load stuff into Poser and select it in the viewport. Or for another example, to turn some custom morphs for V4 into proper ExP morphs, all properly packaged up for distribution like DAZ V4 morphs, rather than as legacy PBMCC morphs so they conflict with other legacy morph sets that use the PBMCC channels. You can have DS4.5 and GenX, and just learn to use GenX to convert morphs and characters for any generation 3 or 4 figures to Genesis solely for use in Poser without bothering to learn almost anything else about DS at all, or ever assembling a scene or rendering in DS. Just as you can have DS and learn just how to make ExP morph sets for V4.2 and M4 with it, without ever learning anything else about it, or how to make a scene, pose a figure or render. DS is a handy tool - or shall we say contains a number of handy tools - for a Poser user - and especially a Poser user using DAZ figures of generation 3 or 4. It costs nothing to buy. And one can stay a committed Poser user, creating and rendering scenes entirely in Poser, while just learning the small amount necessary to use bits of DS purely as a tool for certain specific functions in preparing content to use in Poser alongside all the other utility programs.

As I say - here's ALL you need to know about actual DS4.5 to convert a V3 character you have saved as a cr2 in Poser to use that character on Genesis in Poser. Start DS4.5. Go to the menubar, Window->Tabs->GenX to open the GenX tab. That is it, all you need to know about DS. Everything else is just learning GenX itself from its (very short) GenX manual (basically, drag the cr2 from the filer onto the upper part of the GenX tab, make sure only the morphs for the character are selected, decide if you want a single morph made from all the morphs you used, or whether you want all the used morphs transferred as they are and a pose that will dial them to create the character, then hit the transfer button). Close DS4, start Poser, load Genesis and either turn the dial for the character to 1 (if you had GenX combine the morphs ) or apply the pose to dial the morphs to the settings for the character. Not much effort, and you get your character with state of the art bending, much better than V4 bending, never mind the even older, worse V3 bending.

You said ID said V4 was too different from V3 to move V3 morphs to V4. Well, Genesis was DAZ's answer to that as it can be any generation 3 or 4 figure as well as generation 5, use (with GenX) any generation 3 or 4 morph or morph set as well as 5, wear any generation 3 or 4 clothing, as well as 5. Genesis is, quite deliberately as part of the design and intention, the way to keep the looks of old characters back to generation 3 figures in Poser 4 but easily update the character to a high end, state of the art figure.

Oh no - the pain's back. If you want me to answer or comment on anything you'll need to prod me in several days if and when I resurface.

Post edited by DavidGB on
  • MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

Into the Maw

into-the-maw-sml.jpg
    1500 x 864 - 224K
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,877
    edited December 1969

The Enterprise E, now with a seperate Captains Yacht, has been updated. The update is currently only available via Foundation3D as it has not been updated on Trekmeshes yet...

This discussion has been closed.