Genesis Morphs Confusion ?????

Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,294
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I have been looking at some of the characters available for Genesis and V5/M5 and I am slightly confused about something. My thinking till now has been that any morph or clothing made for Genesis and whatever character morph created from it, such as V5 or M5, should fit Genesis no matter what, be that a morph created for another Genesis character or clothing made for V5/M4 or the Gen4 series morphs created for Genesis.

I just downloaded the character morph for V5 called Amy by Adam Thwaites and wanted to know if I have to have V5 in order to use it or even have it look the same. I know V5 is actually a Genesis morph, yet do not know if there is something about her morphs that are needed for the characters created for her to work.

I only have Genesis, I am going to get the morph packages as soon as I can afford them. I only want the bundled package of morphs for Genesis and have no interest in purchasing the Gen4 or Gen5 morph packages that are available. As such I am interested in knowing what I can and can't do or use as a result. Guess that kinda goes for the clothes created for V5. I don't want to buy clothing or characters for Genesis only to find out I can't use it unless I buy some character package.

http://www.most-digital-creations.com/regular_girl_amy_v5.htm

Comments

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

V5 gets you morph shapes for Genesis, as well as the V5 UV maps. A character skin made specifically for the V5 UV mapping will not work on regular Genesis without having V5 installed.

As to a custom shape -- it could be that the custom shape was created with V5 dialed up on Genesis. If that's the case, then it will not look the same without V5 dialed in. Sort of like how GenX requires you to dial in the V4 shape for converted V4 morphs to look right. Now, without V5, it still might look perfectly acceptable dialing in one of the other female shapes instead. But it won't look the same as how the creator intended. If the custom shape is derived from stock Genesis (or other stock morph shape, like Basic Female), then you can use it without having V5 installed without issue.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,294
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the information

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Yeah, the big one there would be whether or not it uses the V5 UV mappings...

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846
    edited December 1969

It's a "dial spun" character so you do need V5, but you also need the Evolution morphs as Adam has used a few of them in it as well.

edited December 1969

I know that Genesis takes the V4 textures and read that if I wanted to make a character to use the V4 maps, I am not sure of M4...yet it will not take the V5 maps? Now I am more confused.

V5 is just another V morph, only this time using Genesis instead of being it's own model. If Genesis is the base model then any uv map or character created for it should technically work on any morph generated for any type of Genesis character?

Based on the information so far, should I assume that any character created for Genesis is going to need it's own uv map? Does the Genesis child not use the V4 uv map?

edited December 1969

Genesis has multiple UV mappings. The default UV mapping is V4's. It also includes M4 and K4 mappings as part of the base Genesis support. Other mappings, such as V5/M5/Troll/etc are all add-ons. They are designed to help avoid texture stretching, particularly with extreme morphs.

You are correct that you can use any UV maps you want, regardless of what shape you dial in. But again, the more extreme the morphed shape, the more likely you are to experience ugly texture stretching when not using that shape's custom UV mapping. Each mat zone tracks the UV mapping setting individually, too. So you could use a V4 skin with V5 eyes and Troll teeth if you wanted.

In my own experience, though, there are very few character add-ons being created for the purchased UV mappings, such as V5. Usually characters for Genesis are still using V4's mapping (and many of them look like the creator made a morph for V4 and then GenX'd it to create the Genesis version as a quickie throw-in for their product). I'd guess the only add-on UVs that any 3rd party vendors have targeted are V5/M5/Hitomi. S5 had a couple released in conjunction with her launch, but nothing since then that I've seen. None of the other custom figures ever really see 3rd party skins created specifically for them. If I was a skin creator, the only purchased UVs I'd even consider using are V5/M5 (and maybe Hitomi), as those you have a pretty reasonable chance that folks will have them. (Especially with the base versions of these figures made available for free though 3D magazines, etc.) Creating a custom skin for the Troll/Gorilla/Sabatical Goat/etc would be a very niche market and probably wouldn't make enough money to warrant the time spent.

edited December 1969

Ok that explains a lot and thank you.

If using extreme morphs will stretch textures, so that each of these character sets have their own uv maps to prevent this...is there a way to make a character with extreme morphs and make a uv map for it so others could also make textures? I do have both Daz 4.5 and Hex 2.5 as well as uv mapper classic.

edited December 1969

I am not a content creator, so can't tell you the steps on how to do it, but anyone can create new UV mappings for Genesis.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    Creating a custom skin for the Troll/Gorilla/Sabatical Goat/etc would be a very niche market and probably wouldn't make enough money to warrant the time spent.

The Gorilla you may get a bit of a wider market...it was a freebie for a while.