Hexagon Crashes Constantly

LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Is there a way to stop Hex from crashing ever 2 to 5 minutes?

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

I stopped using it because of that. I found it only crashed when I was making models, but when using it to modify other models it was fine. I'm sure posting your system specs would help some people. But I don't think it matters, from reading the forums to find out why my system crashed so much I think it's that random people suffer and others are fine LOL.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Resetting your Preferences works for a lot of people.

Increasing the number of Undoes to say 60 might help too. Set OpenG optimisation to 'No Optimisation'.

You could try some of these to see if it helps, but what OS are you using? If it is a Mac, Hex never worked well on most versions.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

what Jimmy posted is the same advice I found and it didn't do anything for me. Won't make things worse so worth a try. I am on Win7 64bit, and thought that was the issue but have read people with the same OS didn't have any issues. For some people it only crashes a few times a week.

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

running on Win 7 64.

Hex used to work great for me, i loved using it. Then Daz released an update.... been bad ever since

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,220
    edited December 1969

I use hexagon 5 hours a day and it never crashes. I'm using version 2.5.1.79

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

It never crashes for me either , same version, using Win 7 64 bit.

I used XP for years as well, and Hex seldom crashed with me then either, just the odd time when I was doing something really complex I don't know why some people have so many problems with it, but there must be a reason.

edited December 1969

it will crash on me even if i'm not doing anything, i've opened the program and got distracted with something else, come back and there is an error message saying hex boinked up and needs to close

usually 1 to 5 mins after opening the program it will crash no matter what

• shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

I've found that if I save after doing anything, the crashes are less severe. Doesn't help much, will wear out your CTRL and S key, but it's not as devastating when it does crash.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

A piece of advice I picked up here some years ago was to set your graphics card to "let application decide" or words to that effect. Since then, Hex has always been rock-solid for me through all its various incarnations. Must say, it is very intolerant of pilot error - when something does go wrong, it's usually me being too impatient.

• SaiyanessSaiyaness Posts: 715
    edited December 1969

It crashes rarely when I'm modelling but it crashes ALL the time when I'm UV mapping - which is super frustrating when it's a complicated model and I've spent time trying to unravel the mess....

edited December 1969

That could be the clue right there -"unraveling the mess" - if the seams and pins are correctly placed, there shouldn't be a mess:)

edited December 1969

I seemed to have fixed the issue... not really sure how. All I did was reinstall the program.... thing is this is like the 50+ time i have reinstalled it. Over the years I have reinstalled it on 3 different computers with 3 different flavors of Windows OS and always had the same issue. But this time for some completely unknown reason it seems to be working

go figure

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    That could be the clue right there -"unraveling the mess" - if the seams and pins are correctly placed, there shouldn't be a mess:)

lol I won't disagree with you there - but even on a model with three basic parts, Hexagon crashes...most of the time...sometimes it likes me....I just tried the options listed above (I turned off OpenG) so we'll see how it goes.

Otherwise...what's Blender like? >_>

edited December 1969

Blender?...well, its Blender...in a category all on its own. Really great application...and it helps if you have 5 years to study it, ambidextrous with ten fingers on each hand and twice the memory of an elephant:)

I have a go at it whenever I'm feeling really brave - there are a massive number of tutorials freely available, so i'm slowly making some progress. My problem is when I look at the forums, I don't even understand the questions, let alone the answers.

Really worthwhile giving it a try, who knows, you might catch on - many thousands of people do:)

At least it never crashes!

edited December 1969

Most of what i have learned about Blender has been from the HitFilm forums, a lot of peeps over there use it

edited December 1969

*coughs*...So I did that thing...turned off OpenG and....I can UV map to my hearts content >_> I was on Hexagon for hours last night and not one crash. So I'll keep working with Hexagon, getting my feet wet...

edited December 1969

Hex is crashing a lot less for me now, it still goes once in a while, but not like it used to. Its actually getting pretty fun to play in hex

• emerym42emerym42 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Had Hexagon crash on me seconds from starting, every time I tried. 2.5.1.79. Ran Windows update, had 33 updates pending. Now it's been stable for over an hour. :)

• bloodsnhallbloodsnhall Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have been crashing every time I import anything into Hex from Daz. It runs fine then slows dramatically then crashes. When i create anything in Hex and export it into or import it into daz it doesn't come in the same size as I modeled it, it is tiny and I have to bump to 1000. Sometimes.

When I make something and texture it in Hex and then import or export into Daz it is colorless. Sometimes it comes in with color and sometimes it doesn't.

The last thing I have noticed after playing with it for about a month is that if you use the send to Daz option in the file menu it comes into Daz in several pieces, but if you export "save" it as a wavefont obj it doesn't. This doesn't help adjust the size or help with the color problem though. I understand it is free and I have had a bit of fun with it although as I am getting more into modeling and more serious about my projects it is starting to make me yell at my monitor from time to time.

• edited January 2013

I have been crashing every time I import anything into Hex from Daz

First a word about terminology. I don't mean to be a grammar nazi, but proper terminology is critical for describing a problem.

You can't "import" items into hex from DS. If you are using DS, you can export a model to hex, and if you're in hex, you can export a model to DS. The only things you can "import" to a program are items saved on disk somewhere. And the only reason you can even "export" an item from one program directly to another one is through special software called a "bridge".

It runs fine then slows dramatically then crashes

Not sure at all what's causing this. It may be inadequate hardware or system configuration. What are the specs for your system?

When i create anything in Hex and export it...[to]...daz it doesn't come in the same size as I modeled it, it is tiny and I have to bump to 1000. Sometimes

This is probably due to mismatched "units". In hex, look in "preferences", "import/export" tab, "wavefront obj" button. The 4th item down is a "Unit of the file" setting. Tell us what that box says.

I don't know what units DS uses or how to change them, so we need a DS guru to chime in here with that info. In the meantime, you can fiddle with hex's units to see how that effects newly created model sizes when exported to DS.

When I make something and texture it in Hex and then...export [it to] Daz it is colorless. Sometimes it comes in with color and sometimes it doesn't

We may need a DS guru here, as well. :-)

...if you use the send to Daz option in the file menu it comes into Daz in several pieces, but if you export "save" it as a wavefont obj it doesn't

Caution here. You have to watch what's happening. I don't think you're describing this accurately.

If you are running DS and you export genesis to hex, genesis appears in hex as a single object called "genesis". There are no separate elements in the file for toes, fingers, abdomens, etc.

If you now save that model as an OBJ file, it saves it as that one piece. If you modify that figure and send it back to DS, then DS automagically recognizes it as a genesis "morph figure" and integrates the morph into genesis.

OTOH, if you're in DS and export (save) genesis as an OBJ file, it saves that OBJ in "several pieces" such as "3_skinfoot", "6_eyelash", etc.

This OBJ file can now be imported into hex and modified. However, if you export that model out to DS, then DS sees it as a new figure, not as a genesis morph.

Moreover, if you send any articulated model (a model made up of "several pieces") to DS, then DS recognizes the pieces but doesn't know what to do with them. IOW, if you send an articulated poser model to DS, DS will recognize that it has a shoulder and a forearm, but if you try bending the arm, only the selected piece will rotate, not the whole arm. This model needs to be "rigged" to let DS know how the pieces move in relation to each other.

And PS:
    DS does a sucky job at saving genesis as an OBJ file.

Go into DS and save out the genesis figure as an OBJ file. Now open that OBJ file in hexagon. Hide everything but the "7_tear" element and see how badly DS screwed it up. :-S

ADD:
    Curously, Roygee just made a post that makes an excellent addendum to this post and may be of great value to you. You can read it here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/211041/

Post edited by emfederin_9bc0c524c8 on
  • BryonSpellerBryonSpeller Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have noticed that the Tasselate tools make Hex crash a lot. I have trained myself to not use them (What is a bit of a pain) but Hex becomes a lot more stable.
    Also only subdivide at the very end of your workflow if possible. After level 2 of subdivision is also gets cranky.

In my workflow I do all the initial modeling in Hex (that IMO is the best low poly modeler out there) and then I take the model into Silo 3D (that is very Hex like but a bit more complicated, and quite stable) and I do the final touches in Silo before taking the models into other tools for further details.

Silo can also detect some poly issues that you may not see in hex. Sometimes the mesh looks fine in Hex but Silo shows artifacts.

Just my 2 cents.

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 514
    edited December 1969

I have noticed that the Tasselate tools make Hex crash a lot. I have trained myself to not use them (What is a bit of a pain) but Hex becomes a lot more stable.

I have used Hexagon since 2.1. I have found the surface tessellation tool to be quite buggy with it removing polygons(more so on any n-gon). I always thought it was a problem from the original Eovia version that DAZ could not fix. However, after getting a copy of V1(free from an old magazine disk) I find that the problem with tessellation is not in V1.

From what I see. It looks like DAZ made some underlying changes to how Hexagon stores the model data in memory (to cut down on memory usage), which brought in various problems, including the tessellation bug. So it looks like that will never be fixed.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I was bold and used the 3GB / Large Adress Aware thingie on Hexagon (I have a 64bit Windows7) - that helped against crashes.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556
    (It helped for Bryce too)

edited January 2013

Hi Kerya,

Kerya said:
    I was bold and used the 3GB / Large Adress Aware thingie on Hexagon (I have a 64bit Windows7) - that helped against crashes.

That allows Hexagon to see/access more system memory, so although it may stop Hexagon running out of memory sooner, it does not in itself fix the issues of crashing. I have been using LAA on Hexagon for a 2-3 years.

To all:-
    I do stand corrected on my last post. Although I do not see the issue with the surface tessellation in V1, it is present in the update V1.21 So that is something Eovia brought in. It just appears DAZ never fixed it.

One thing I am curious about. I now have various versions of Hexagon. What I have not seen yet is V2.0. Is there one? When I purchased Hexagon, it was at 2.1.
    So at the moment it appears there is a gap between 1.21 and 2.1 (Maybe a V2.0 was never released as full version??)

Post edited by stem_athome on
  • RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

@Steve,

One thing I am curious about. I now have various versions of Hexagon. What I have not seen yet is V2.0. Is there one? When I purchased Hexagon, it was at 2.1.
    So at the moment it appears there is a gap between 1.21 and 2.1 (Maybe a V2.0 was never released as full version??)

Well I've poked about in my Downloads and found Hex 2.0 albeit part of the patched 2.1. I have a vague recollection that 2.0 was released; to be fairly quickly followed by the patch and it was the originators that released it, before Daz came on the scene.

Hex_2.0_.jpg
    1350 x 226 - 90K
    Post edited by RedSquare on
    edited December 1969

Hi Redsquare,

Thanks for the info.
    I will have to start looking again, to see if I can find V2.0

• GhostmanGhostman Posts: 215
    edited December 1969

Hi Redsquare,

Thanks for the info.
    I will have to start looking again, to see if I can find V2.0

2.0 was the one I first bought when it was released. The 2.1 fix was the last one that the Eovia team made before Daz took over it all.
    2.1 is more stable then the 2.0 one. And it is also the only version I'm using that don't crash.

• stoltenkamp.scottstoltenkamp.scott Posts: 95
    edited December 1969

As a new user I don't have a ton of experience to draw on, but I've noticed a trend relating to crashes. When my geometry is out of whack and I've got outside faces coming through each other and I apply smoothing, or try to bridge I can pretty much guarantee that I'll see it crash. So my 2 cents worth of newbie advice, save before you use those features if there's any chance your geometry is out of whack. Having said that, there are a number of times it's crashed because as far as I can tell it just feels like it, and other times it's quite well behaved.

edited January 2013

Hi Ghostman,

Ghostman said:
    2.0 was the one I first bought when it was released. The 2.1 fix was the last one that the Eovia team made before Daz took over it all.
    2.1 is more stable then the 2.0 one. And it is also the only version I'm using that don't crash.

Thanks for the info.

When I purchased Hexagon, it was already 2.1 (not 2.0 + 2.1 patch). It is the version I use, as the later versions I find more problematic/buggy. (although 2.2 did fix some issues, it also brought in other bugs).

I think the main problems came in 2.5 when they added the DS Bridge (which appears to be the only upgrade they have ever made to Hexagon (in 6 / 7 years), well, apart from the sculpty primitives ROFLOL).

edited January 2013

As a new user I don't have a ton of experience to draw on, but I've noticed a trend relating to crashes. When my geometry is out of whack and I've got outside faces coming through each other and I apply smoothing, or try to bridge I can pretty much guarantee that I'll see it crash. So my 2 cents worth of newbie advice, save before you use those features if there's any chance your geometry is out of whack. Having said that, there are a number of times it's crashed because as far as I can tell it just feels like it, and other times it's quite well behaved.

I presume you are using the latest version, which is not stable.

One thing to watch for, is if Hexagon crashes, you should reset your preference file (or better, to actually remove/delete it)
    You could save a copy of that file(if you have made changes), then you can just copy it back over when needed.

If the preference file becomes corrupted, it leads to unexpected problems. (something that DAZ are aware of, but never fixed). Not a problem I have ever seen in 2.1