OT - real Trojan alert

patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
edited December 1969 in The Commons

While surfing for stuff on Google with "sharecg.com" in the key words, came across a site which FF's WOT had as Green.

I don't know if anybody here has anything to do with WOT but if you do, kindly get it marked RED for iamnetizen. It's an attack site.

Combing the computer I found 3 files which all appeared to be named the same ... as zip files. One in Downloads; and 2 others somewhere on the computer. I used W7's search feature to find them. Although I have "show hidden extensions" these all appear to be as .zip files. They aren't. The one in Downloads was an .exe and the other two were shortcuts to the 'Net, calling home.

My AV flagged this as Trojan program HEUR:Trojan.Win32.Generic

As the apparent file extensions are bogus; the name to comb for and just delete them [do NOT click on them if you find them on your computer] is "daily_old_sharecg".

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I would suggest that if you are worried about anything like this that you run an AV scan and also use Malwarebytes to check as well, as that often finds things that some AV's do not.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

those who run malware sites are getting hip to WOT and spamming good ratings so they show up green in searches, even WOT is compromised these days.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Yeah, that's the first time WOT let me down. Should have trusted gut instinct. But WOT was green and so ....

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

After getting a ransomware virus earlier in the year, I can relate. Luckily for me, the malware was pretty easily circumvented after rebooting in safe mode, but it has made me twice shy about browsing randomly even on supposed safe sites.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,123
    edited December 1969

After getting a ransomware virus earlier in the year, I can relate. Luckily for me, the malware was pretty easily circumvented after rebooting in safe mode, but it has made me twice shy about browsing randomly even on supposed safe sites.

Yep, even an old perv like me has learned to be careful about where I stick my wicket. I've got half the world filtered out of my web browser. Never check out an animated advertisement. Never stray from the main meat of a news website. Run at the first sign of trouble. Keep your privates private. Don't unzip willy-nilly. And above all, avoid the itch to click without thinking.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Watched a television show one day wherein the high tech computer geek's computer [huge thing] was suddenly under reverse attack by something destructive he had launched actually pulling the cards out of the computer trying to prevent damage! Have to wonder some days ... just pull the plug.