Last Spartan Character renderings

Jake_35533Jake_35533 Posts: 242
edited December 2012 in Art Studio

Here is a thread about the cool characters in the Novel series "The last spartan" by A. E. McCullough.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Spartan-Different-ebook/dp/B007MNYL44

As with most writers, the most important thing about your story is your characters. And visualizing the characters is so important. So I have decided to render some characters from his series and see how they come close to his imagination of what they would look like. Here are a few old ones (for people who did not follow the contest for the "Last spartan: DJ's mission" cover design a couple of months ago).

Post edited by Jake_35533 on

Comments

• Jake_35533Jake_35533 Posts: 242
    edited December 2012

Here is a portrait shot of Jagger Jax. A. E. McCullough says its "spot on" for his vision of this character.

Jagger_(FINAL).jpg
    773 x 1000 - 190K
    edited December 2012

Here is another character (armor) used in the story. This one is not how it actually looks in the story but just an approximate.

suit2.jpg
    1000 x 1500 - 235K
    edited December 2012

Here is another combo of the original armor with Laido and Jagger Jax.

Jagger_and_Falcon_(final).jpg
    772 x 999 - 319K
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Well done Jake! Love your Sci-Fi theme you got going. You're a great inspiration for me :)

• BrotherloboBrotherlobo Posts: 495
    edited December 1969

Here is another combo of the original armor with Laido and Jagger Jax.

WOW! Nice!

Okay...first off it's Iaido (capital I) as in from Wikipedia: Iaido (居合道 Iaidō?) is a modern Japanese martial art associated with the smooth, controlled movements of drawing the sword from its scabbard or saya, striking or cutting an opponent, removing blood from the blade, and then replacing the sword in the scabbard. The word iaido approximately translates into English as "the way of mental presence and immediate reaction." It was coined in the 1930s, replacing the earlier and more literal name battōjutsu (抜刀術 "art of drawing the sword").

Secondly, I love the armor. This is almost exactly how I imagined and described in the novel. Although, Iaido in his armor should be a bit more imposing...maybe its the size ratio between Jagger Jax out of armor and Iaido in his armor. Outside the armor, Jagger Jax is much beefier than Iaido. But once he is in the armor, he should be about the same size (I would think). Although, I do love the Skull render on the helmet and the colorings of the armor.

Thanks Jake....I love your work!!!

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,681
    edited December 1969

Teehee, the guy in the Hardcore outfit looks nice! *wink, wink*
    Also like the look and feel of the blue mecha!

I don't know the series, but your characters look convincing enough to me :D

edited December 1969

Here is one of El Gato and DJ.

Couple_DJ_elgota_(FINAL).jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 1M
    edited December 1969

I like....hmmm, I might have to include that in the eBook :-)

edited December 1969

So you're saying El Gato and DJ aren't in love? It seems automatic to me. Look at them, they seem to be the perfect couple :)

edited December 1969

So you're saying El Gato and DJ aren't in love? It seems automatic to me. Look at them, they seem to be the perfect couple :)

Actually, they aren't but I love the image. I might add that image and a few of your other cover designs at the end of the e-book.

BTW -- you still need to send me some sort of contact info and/or artist info you want included in the book.
    I have been running behind schedule but took yesterday and today off from work to finish the editing.
    Hopefully, I will have it uploaded tonight
    At least that is the plan.

edited December 2012

Actually, they aren't but I love the image. I might add that image and a few of your other cover designs at the end of the e-book.

You should write a short bio of each character. They seem like deep characters.

If you need any cover images without the title and border, let me know.

edited December 1969

You should write a short bio of each character. They seem like deep characters.

If you need any cover images without the title and border, let me know.

That's an interesting idea. My goal, is each summer to write a novella (a short novel) on each of the supporting characters. I am already working on the full novel for Spartan -- but trying to finish up the two fantasy novels that I have already in the works before putting too much time into it.

edited December 2012

Iaido as Red falcon

Red_falcon_(artwork).jpg
    999 x 1379 - 567K
    edited December 2012

Updated

Red_falcon.jpg
    1354 x 1714 - 320K
    edited December 2012

Here is an image that I made into a drawing. The rendering came out too grainy (and it took 10 hours to render in reality plugin and still wasn't finished (reality users know what I am talking about)), so what I did is take it to photoshop and make it look like a drawing. I may re-render it later to get it to its true look.

el_gato_group.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 541K