Is it just me or is Firefox having issues with the site lately?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ..if Daz goes totally into the cloud they lose me. I'm not rendering while online because it compromises performance, and I'm not leaving copyrighted material there either.

Those of us on DA with have already dealt with the issue of "art theft".

Hackers will do what ever they can to screw with people's livelihoods because we are "softer" targets than the big corps and government.

This is using a cloud-based caching service to, by design, improve the speed of the site. It has nothing to do with cloud based applications.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

I tried loading the shop in IE and it was fine, loaded in seconds. Same in Waterfox. I don't use Chrome as Poser doesn't like it, or at least that was what I was told. What are some doing/running that is causing this? There has to be a common thing somewhere.

CHEERS!

• Lazy LeopardLazy Leopard Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    LL...one of the key things is that running the Linux machine on the same network gets you the missing parts...that has 'OS' written all over it.

The pertinent question being "Where is the difference coming from?"

Is DAZ serving slightly different code depending on what it perceives is at the other end of the link, or are both my linux and MacOS machines getting exactly the same page content, but the MacOS one is falling over some catch? It's pretty difficult to tell because of the number of players involved. One thing became clear when I took a look at the output spewing to the FireFox console (on both linux and MacOS); The style information being spewed by the DAZ site is of very poor quality.

edited December 1969

Oh, yeah,

If you remember what I said about kicking out all the manufacturer software, a BIG point worth noting is that you can ONLY do this once the warranty on the computer has expired! Do so beforehand and you void the warranty.

So, by all means kick out bloated AV programs and plug ins to get things running faster, but, if you just got your machine, you may have to wait a year before you can get it fully flying. I sort of got lucky as, although I bought my laptop in June, it was a store demo machine and the warranty expired in July!

Anyhow, back to the issue(s) at hand and I hope we can get to the bottom of it so that all users of the same type of system can benefit

CHEERS!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ..if Daz goes totally into the cloud they lose me. I'm not rendering while online because it compromises performance, and I'm not leaving copyrighted material there either.

Hackers will do what ever they can to screw with people's livelihoods because we are "softer" targets than the big corps and government.

Even though the average user is a 'softer' targets, the payoff is much bigger going after corporations. Most of what catches the average Joe is 'test' stuff for the 'big one' or automated stuff that catches thousands at a time. Dedicated hacking of individuals is not all that common (where as phishing, trojans and other such malware infestations are rampant, they are really 'hacking').

Kyoto Kid said:

This is using a cloud-based caching service to, by design, improve the speed of the site. It has nothing to do with cloud based applications.

Richard...I think some of Cloudflare's security also plays a part in it. The filtering provided by Cloudflare is, at least in part, responsible for the relatively low amount of spam on the forums. I mod at another forum where we don't use any filtering...and believe me, spam control without it is a full time job. The little that leaks through here is quickly dealt with...thankfully.

And it's not just speed of loading pages, it's overall speed, because Cloudflare has servers around the world, so there are less hops for most people to get here. A shorter distance to travel to get to the site, means a faster, overall, site.

Oh, yeah,

If you remember what I said about kicking out all the manufacturer software, a BIG point worth noting is that you can ONLY do this once the warranty on the computer has expired! Do so beforehand and you void the warranty.

So, by all means kick out bloated AV programs and plug ins to get things running faster, but, if you just got your machine, you may have to wait a year before you can get it fully flying. I sort of got lucky as, although I bought my laptop in June, it was a store demo machine and the warranty expired in July!

Anyhow, back to the issue(s) at hand and I hope we can get to the bottom of it so that all users of the same type of system can benefit

CHEERS!

I think on this one it's going to have to be an individual, case by case, 'find what's blocking it' type thing...

edited December 1969

Yeah, I guess so,

Everything works for me on both Waterfox and IE, I have Adblock installed in Waterfox, but don't use recommended block lists. Should people that are having problems try doing the same things as those that it works for?

CHEERS!

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 2012

I ended up uninstalling Waterfox and going back to Firefox 12 for a couple of reasons. It wasn't any faster, and it uses a HUGE amount of memory, approx. twice that of FF12 (on XP 64 Pro).

Unfortunately, after uninstalling it, I had a long series of issues trying to get FF12 working again, with Java and .NET Framework versions being the two culprits. During that process, I did a lot of googling and discovered the antics of the Microsoft Dirty Tricks Department with regards to Firefox. If any of you got a .NET Framework update, or have an FF plugin called Windows Presentation Foundation, you should read this article. (Or google Windows Presentation Foundation. There are 100s of articles about this).

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9139459/Sneaky_Microsoft_plug_in_puts_Firefox_users_at_risk

"This update adds to Firefox one of the most dangerous vulnerabilities present in all versions of Internet Explorer: the ability for Web sites to easily and quietly install software on your PC said the hints and tips site. "Since this design flaw is one of the reasons you may have originally chosen to abandon IE in favor of a safer browser like Firefox, you may wish to remove this extension with all due haste."

The fact that this was a silent update to FF leads many people to believe that MS are deliberately trying to sabotage a competitor. And it's not easy to get rid of it either, which is even worse. Here's an article that tells you how. (You can only disable it in the FF plugins page in some versions of Windows).

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/10/18/how-to-uninstall-windows-presentation-foundation-plugin-in-firefox/

Check your FF plugins page! (CTRL+SHIFT+A)

mac

Post edited by maclean on
  • GeroblueJimGeroblueJim Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I use AVG Internet security 2013. My Vista home premium 32-bit likes it so far. I've had it for about 3 months. I don't use ad blockers, but I do have FF set to not redirect to a new page unless I okay it. I found avg free to not update vezry much, so I got the paid version. I use Diskeeper to keep my hard drive defragged. And I have Ff set to remove cookies when I close it. Still slow, and sometimes fast, when I navigate these forums.

edited December 1969

maclean said:
    I ended up uninstalling Waterfox and going back to Firefox 12 for a couple of reasons. It wasn't any faster, and it uses a HUGE amount of memory, approx. twice that of FF12 (on XP 64 Pro).

Unfortunately, after uninstalling it, I had a long series of issues trying to get FF12 working again, with Java and .NET Framework versions being the two culprits. During that process, I did a lot of googling and discovered the antics of the Microsoft Dirty Tricks Department with regards to Firefox. If any of you got a .NET Framework update, or have an FF plugin called Windows Presentation Foundation, you should read this article. (Or google Windows Presentation Foundation. There are 100s of articles about this).

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9139459/Sneaky_Microsoft_plug_in_puts_Firefox_users_at_risk

"This update adds to Firefox one of the most dangerous vulnerabilities present in all versions of Internet Explorer: the ability for Web sites to easily and quietly install software on your PC said the hints and tips site. "Since this design flaw is one of the reasons you may have originally chosen to abandon IE in favor of a safer browser like Firefox, you may wish to remove this extension with all due haste."

The fact that this was a silent update to FF leads many people to believe that MS are deliberately trying to sabotage a competitor. And it's not easy to get rid of it either, which is even worse. Here's an article that tells you how. (You can only disable it in the FF plugins page in some versions of Windows).

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/10/18/how-to-uninstall-windows-presentation-foundation-plugin-in-firefox/

Check your FF plugins page! (CTRL+SHIFT+A)

mac

Yipe,

So sorry you had so many problems. Everything seems fine for me. I guess it's not for everybody.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

No need to apologise. I tried it, and was happier with FF. No big deal.

I have to admit that I'm often less than enthusiastic about the latest versions of programs. I try to keep everything up to date, but a lot of the time, I end up going back to an older version of something.

I'm one of the few people who still uses DS 2 - simple, uncluttered and perfect for what I do - assembling figures and import/exporting .obj files. I only use DS 3 for the final stages, presets and product renders, and DS 4.5 only for testing to make sure everything works.

mac

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,164
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    It's a very random problem that is only effecting some people. I don't have any problems viewing anything in FireFox.

"effecting" ???

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/effecting

It took evolution 4 billion years to effect people, so now DAZ is doing it in a few weeks? 8-o

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

I am noticing a leg in loading the forum pages. It can sit there and hang as long as I want to let it and it will do nothing but if I reload the page its fine. This happens random but frequently.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Same lag noticed here over the last few days. Annoying. Always seems to cork up about half-way down a forum page, just after someone's avatar pic loads but before the text for the post data beside it gets filled in. So at least I always recognise at once what's happened.

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

The spinning green circle. It happens way too often.

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,775
    edited December 1969

Site seems a little slow for me too. And now, I cannot get my wishlist to load, staring at a blank, dark grey block where it ought to be. This happens both in Chrome and IE 9.

edited December 1969

On average, what amount of RAM does anyone with issues have?

I have 6gb, and, as I've said, have had no lag issues at all. Is something else you have running hogging the RAM you need for your browser?

CHEERS!

• estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

I've got a ton of ram but I am getting some funny issues on and off with image loading on this website over the last one week I think. I'm on safari on mac. Often the problem self resolves after 30 seconds.
    Love esther

edited December 1969

I switched to Waterfox from Safari for Windows. Safari wasn't bad, but, Apple stopped the development for Windows and weren't ever going to do a 64 bit version. Waterfox seemed to be the only 64 bit browser other than IE that I could find.

Is it wrong to be disappointed that you don't have an issue? It's that "Me too!" thing!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

I have 8 gig which was the most I could get at the time when I had my desktop built 2 yrs ago, but I can now upgrade to 16 which I may do in the near future.

edited December 1969

Hmm, ok, more than me,

Some of the more potent anti virus software can eat up memory, also, some of them will have scanning software in them which can needlessly slow things down. Maybe an update for them kicked in and messed things up!? AVG's link scanner was better at slowing things down than it was at doing much else. I recently switched from that to Microsoft Security Essentials and have definitely noticed a speed improvement.

Something to consider...

CHEERS!

edited December 2012

I just updated my Nvidia drivers after discovering that videos on YouTube all show in a split screen with a green line in the center. I discovered it's caused by the latest Adobe Flash update (only in FF, btw), and the options are to uninstall it (which is a major undertaking), and roll back, or update Nvidia drivers.

Not really anything to do with DAZ, but just in case anyone else is seeing this too. And although I won't swear to it.... this site seems slightly faster now. It could be my imagination, and I didn't have issues with DAZ's site before, so I doubt it's a solution.

mac

mac

Post edited by maclean on
    edited December 2012

Hmm, ok,

Who else among us has Nvidia graphics cards!? I have an ATI/AMD and whichever versions of Flash I installed when I switched to Waterfox were, I imagine, pretty recent and I've not had any issues anywhere, quite the reverse in fact.

Got to admit though, I definitely did experience issues with graphics cards and websites earlier on, but long before I had DS or laptops. There might be something in it. It could be down to graphics cards and updates for certain AV software. YouTube is fine for me, probably the best I've seen it.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

NVIDIA all the way for me!

edited December 1969

I have an ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series. It is 2 yrs old. I honestly have no idea where it would rank for a video card. I am not very computer savvy.

• XandoryXandory Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

Count me amongst those having issues, but mine is just not recognizing specific forums, saying that "Site Error: Unable to Load Site Preferences; No Preferences Found".

Video card is AMD Radeon HD 6700

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...hmm only have 4GB in 32 bit and save for my spotty connectivity from home (due to the fact I am partially in a Wi-Fi "shadow"), haven't experienced any issues with the site like others are having. Again I'm still on FF 15.

edited December 1969

Ok, for those with issues, are the drivers up to date?

Did your AV do a major update before you had issues? Is Flash up to date, did you update Flash before you had issues?

CHEERS!

• GeroblueJimGeroblueJim Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have an EVGA GeForce 210 video card ( 512 meg video ram), 3 gigs of ram on a 32-bit system. Fast reply loads quickly, post reply or moving from forum to foum, or page of a thread, moves slowly. Sometimes about 30-60 seconds, sometimes up to 2 minutes. The 2 minutes is rare.

edited December 2012

Have you had issues anywhere else other than this site or is it just here? It's possible that there is a bug in the Daz code somewhere that Nvidia cards don't like. I've heard of several people with NVidia cards having viewport issues in Poser.

If it were wholly a Firefox issue then wouldn't the same thing happen on other sites? Surely it just loads whatever code happens to be on that page? Waterfox uses Firefox code and I haven't had any problems at all.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 2012

...hmm, maybe this is one case where my crappy Intel chipset is actually doing me some good.

Post edited by kyoto kid on