New World Base and expansions

KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

So I purchased these products so I could add some foreground and background to my renders, has anyone any renders of these, or any tips on using them? thanks

Comments

• MachieltjeMachieltje Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The best tip I can give you is this: they're backdrops; they won't carry a scene and they're not supposed to be in focus. Also the included lights and ok at best if you want better you'll have to loose them and add your own.

One issue I've found with these sets is that once you add UE2 to the mix the mesh tends to show up. To get rid of the "gridlines" sub divide the sky dome and hill geometry and you're golden.

For a large outdoor scene they work pretty well but you'll need have something good going on in the foreground.

Wendy_on_snowy_planes_B_1.jpg
    960 x 540 - 410K
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

ok thanks for the tips, I like your render it looks really good. I will have to try these out and see if I can get them to work for me.

• The Pencil NeckThe Pencil Neck Posts: 163
    edited December 1969

I've used it on a lot of renders and I really like them. I prefer the Cloud 9 Sky Domes/Lighting to the base lighting included.

You've got to be careful, because sometimes gridlines will show up in the background but you can easily fix that by using the depth of field on the camera.

Both of these use the Cloud 9 lights combined with my own setup of UberArea lights.

composite_005.jpg
    1920 x 1536 - 343K
    StrandedGirl.jpg
    1920 x 1536 - 297K
    edited December 1969

thepencilneck those look really good, thanks for posting them. Is Cloud 9 skydomes included or a separate package?

• The Pencil NeckThe Pencil Neck Posts: 163
    edited December 1969

It's a separate package. http://www.daz3d.com/shop/cloud-nine-for-daz-studio I got it when it was on sale. Most of the Cloud Nine stuff is for Carrara but that package is for DS. That same person makes several other sky/lighting packs for DS that I'd love to grab but just haven't had the chance.

The Cloud Nine for Daz has some really great distance lights and skies; I think it uses the UberEnvironment lights to create an HDRI/Image based lighting setup that gives a more realistic ambient sort of lighting. In the examples above, I used the skies from the New World Base but the lights from Cloud Nine but I chose lights from a cloudy sky with a similar color/look as the New World Base light.

edited December 1969

THanks ...added to my wishlist :)

edited December 1969

Just playing with worldbase XT and did this render of a background but it has strange colored dots, what caused this and how do I avoid them. \i used the WB-Green+Mist2 and 3-lights(smap)

lushlands.jpg
    1088 x 612 - 385K
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    Just playing with worldbase XT and did this render of a background but it has strange colored dots, what caused this and how do I avoid them. \i used the WB-Green+Mist2 and 3-lights(smap)

The dots are a problem that sometimes occurs when using shadow mapping using raytraced lights make them go away. I also noticed some lines in your sky that shouldn't be there those are easiest fixed by sub dividing the sky dome.
    edited December 1969

I do not know how to subdivide the sky dome...could you tell me? thanks

edited December 1969

You start by going to the scene tab select WB-Base and expand then select WorldBase-XtrSkies. Next you go to Edit > Object > Geometry > Convert to SubD...

SubD.png
    619 x 564 - 131K
    WBexpand.png
    363 x 375 - 15K