Content Installation - New Install on OSx 10.8.2

kevin-2175219kevin-2175219 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi everyone, and i know this has been asked a million times as i think I've read all the threads!

I am baffled as to what I am doing wrong here.

The 64 bit DAZ installer installs fine.

I can install the genesis pack also without issue and can see the content inside DAZ Studio - ( in the files and products tabs )

So the base installation is all good. I installed the content folders to be this:

/users/myname/My DAZ CONTENT

The issue when trying to add new content purchased through the DAZ store.

I run the installers specifying the above directory, but cannot get anything "new" to appear.

My first install of DAZ was using the default directories but with no luck there, I chose to use this custom content folder so I know where everything is.

I am at a loss to what I am doing wrong, I have used DAZ for sometime on a windows machine with little problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I am pulling my hair out here, it must be something stupid!

thanks

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You say the Genesis stuff all installed without a problem, and you can see it? Where was that installed to, the default location is into a folder called My Library, is it there?

If so, then you should install everything there, just make sure that the My Library folder is the las folder in the path. In other words DO NOT install to My Library/Runtime or My Library/Content or any other sub-folder, just My Library - and that includes Poser content too.

However, if you have gone to the trouble of creating a seperate folder, you may as well leave it there. You have to tell DAZ Studio where the content was installed to in Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Contetn Directory Manager. You must declare you folder as DAZ Studio Formats AND Poser Formats so that everything will appear. Have you done that?

• kevin-2175219kevin-2175219 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi Jimmy and thanks for your reply,

Yes i can see all the content of the genesis pack and the files are in my custom folder.

Yes, I have specified my folders in DAZ - see screenshot

Any ideas, or do I have to specifiy different folders here?

Thanks Again

Screen_Shot_2012-12-11_at_18.55_.39_.png
    1366 x 801 - 100K
    edited December 1969

It seems to be all right to me, except that it is listed twice as a DS folder. I would delete one of them for sure.

In the MY DAZ CONTENT, is there a folder called 'Runtime' directly under that folder?

On my system, the My Library folder contains a Runtime folder, and loads of other DS folders like People, Props, Presets, Shaders etc etc, does yours have that too. Could you post a screenshot of your (collapsed) MY DAZ CONTENT folder for me, it would help a lot?

edited December 2012

Thanks Jimmy,

Re this: "except that it is listed twice as a DS folder. I would delete one of them for sure."

Do you mean remove the other Import Formats option, or the blanked out lib? I've removed the lib one just in case.

attached is my > MY DAZ CONTENT folder contents

I've actually tried installing new content in the root of MY DAZ CONTENT and also the runtime folder.

I was hoping I am missing something really stupid on my part

thanks

Screen_Shot_2012-12-11_at_19.23_.32_.png
    1670 x 1290 - 368K
    Post edited by kevin-2175219 on
    edited December 1969

I was referring to the double entry as marked below:

Untitled-1.jpg
    406 x 244 - 63K
    edited December 1969

Right thanks, yes I've removed that entry but still no joy - any other suggestions? I just don't seem to understand what DAZ is not seeing this new content.

edited December 1969

Have you looked in the Content Library tab, under Poser Formats > MY DAZ CONTENT > Figures?

Any DAZ 3D figures before Genesis were in Poser Format and will appear there, most of them will not appear in Smart Content if that is where you are looking?

edited December 2012

Ahh man, you gotta be kidding me!!!!

Ok, so it looks the content is there - seriously - thank you so much for your help, you're a real life saver.

I would have thought this would be accessible from the main content panel, or maybe it is?

Once again, thanks - much appreciated

Post edited by kevin-2175219 on
    edited December 1969

Smart Content only works if the object has a Metadata file associated with it (all of the new stuff, and only some older items)

It also relies upon the CMS (Content Management Service) to be running. The Content Library tab will show you everything that is installed, whether the CMS is running or not, and whether the item has Metadata or not. Most DAZ 3D items in the past were in Poser Format (CR2, PZ2 etc), and you have to look in the right place.

There is a search function at the top of the Content Library pane which can be quite useful (it relies on CMS as well)

Glad you can see it now anyway.