Announcing: Daz Deals Browser Add-on

Comments

• AtiAti Posts: 9,079

I have to admit I'm a little nervous. ;)

Please bear with us as we correct any initial issues. I think I'm not exaggerating when I say that this is going to change the way you shop. ;)

• Ati said:

Please bear with us as we correct any initial issues. I think I'm not exaggerating when I say that this is going to change the way you shop. ;)

You've perfected the 'Add store to cart' button?

Ati said:

laugh

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,689
    Ati said:

Does that include win the lottery charm?

• Ati said:

I think that one's still got some bugs

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Ati said:

I think that one's still got some bugs

Yeah,  I won a free lucky dip on the UK Lotto,  so it is getting there, but needs some work   

• Possible bug; I am not seeing the total purchase amount in my order history. :|

• @daywalker03 it's off by default. You can click the tool bar icon to go to the options section and turn it on--but it's not for the faint of heart. :)
  • It is fun watching my Total Value bump up and down on a day by day basis... but the price I paid for it all never changes. :) 

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    Overdrawn said:
    @daywalker03 it's off by default. You can click the tool bar icon to go to the options section and turn it on--but it's not for the faint of heart. :)

the addon is not working in the newest version of Firefox for me on the order page and yes I checked the box in options to turn it on

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,135
    edited December 2016
    Kharma said:
    Overdrawn said:
    @daywalker03 it's off by default. You can click the tool bar icon to go to the options section and turn it on--but it's not for the faint of heart. :)

the addon is not working in the newest version of Firefox for me on the order page and yes I checked the box in options to turn it on

It doesn't work for me either, and I also have it turned on in options. Firefox 50.0.2.

Edit: by "it doesn't work", I mean the total spent and total value. I don't see either one on the orders page.

Post edited by barbult on
  • barbult said:
    Kharma said:
    Overdrawn said:

It doesn't work for me either, and I also have it turned on in options. Firefox 50.0.2.

Edit: by "it doesn't work", I mean the total spent and total value. I don't see either one on the orders page.

same here,"Total Value Owned" and and "Order History" totals stopped displaying on My Orders page, with firefox 50.0.2. I still see percentages off in the shopping cart however.

• Daywalker DesignsDaywalker Designs Posts: 3,586
    edited December 2016
    Overdrawn said:

Ah, that's why it wasn't showing. Fixed in Firefox 49, but not in 52 (developer edition). :S

Post edited by Daywalker Designs on
  • BTW regardless of the problem with this Plugin upgrade to 50.0.2 is highly recommendes b/c 50.0.1 and all versions below have a very nasty security gap.

I uploaded a fix for the new Firefox, @Overdrawn will need to push it to the queue at some point.

How I love browsers changing their default behavior from version to version. ;)

• Just uploaded 2.0.1 to Chrome (which is also in the editorial queues at Mozilla & Opera)!

Happy New Year? Or sooner, we hope! ;)

That was fast, Chrome already has 2.0.1. Let me write up a short summary of changes... :) Stand by! :)

v2.0.1 changes

Hide items

What it does: Hides the products you are not interested in. For example, you bought the pro pack, and the starter pack keeps appearing? Hide it! Something looks nice, but is for a software that you don't even have? Hide it!

How it works: Go to the product page of the item you want to hide. Below the images, click on the "Hide this product..." button. From now on, this product is hidden from the category lists. To unhide something, go to the product page, and click the "Unhide this product" button.

Tip: Please note that this only hides the products from the catalog pages. The product will still appear as an upsell for another product, and on promo detail pages. For now, anyway...

"This is my main browser. Sync hidden items with notification server." The hidden items are stored in your browser. If you use two browsers, then you will have two sets of hidden items. If you use three browsers, then you will have three sets of hidden items. You can choose your "main" browser, where you most of the browsing, and enable this option. This will send the hidden items from that browser to the notification server, and not send you any notifications about the items that you have hidden. After all, why get notified of products that you are not interested in? See below for details on the notifications.

"See hidden items" To see a list of your hidden items, click on the "See hidden items" link in the options page. This will give you a list of items that you have hidden in your current browser. To unhide any of the items, click on the "Unhide" button.

Price history

What it does: Displays a price history on the product page, so you can see how the price of any given product changed over time. You can choose to see a shorter (1-month) timeframe, or a longer timeframe.

How it works: Go to any product page, and see the price history appear under the price and the add to cart button:

What is this good for? You can see how often a product goes on sale, and you can see what its lowest price has been recently. Although past prices are no indication of future prices, this helps you make a more informed decision on when to buy a product.

Price notification? When using the wishlist notification (see below), you can set individual notifications for any product, including products that are not in your wishlist. Just enter the price below which you want to be notified, and you will get an email notification when the price of the product drops below that. This is a one-time notification. Once triggered, the notification is cleared. If you do not buy the product then, then to be notified again, you will need to set up a new notification. You have to sign up for wishlist notification for these notifications to work! They use the same identification.

Wishlist notification

What it does: Notifies you by email when items from your wishlist go on sale.

How it works: Go to your wishlist page:

Click on the "Get Email Notifications!" link:

Click on the "Need a passcode? Sign up!" link, and enter your email address. This can be any of your email addresses you use. It does not have to be the same that you have a daz account with. You will get the notifications to this address, so it should be one you read frequently. We use a double opt-in method, which means that you will need to confirm that the address you gave is indeed your own address. So at this point, check your emails, and click on the confirmation link that you have just received. This will give you a passcode. This is a numeric code that you will use for the notifications. This has absolutely nothing to do with your Daz password. NEVER give us your Daz login password. Whenever you deal with the email notifications, this email address, and this passcode that you have just received, is all you need to use. I say again: never give us your daz login details. Never. Never. :)

Once you have the passcode, go back to the email notification page, and enter the email address you just signed up with, enter the passcode you just received, and enter a notification percent. When items in your wishlist are discounted MORE than the percent you enter here, you will get an email notification. (You only need to enter these data once, your browser will remember your settings.)

If you check the "Allow automatic update" checkbox, then whenever the wishlist, your hidden items (see above), or your owned items change, they will be updated to the notification server automatically. If you do not check this box, then you will have to manually update the lists by coming to the email notification page, and clicking on the green "Save" button. I suggest you enable the automatic update. The date and time of the last automatic update will be shown here, and if you are really curious, there is also a console log message about the updates.

There are a couple of other notifications that you can subscribe to:
    New sales: Whenever there's a new banner on the Daz homepage, you get a notification. This includes flash sales, blink sales, daily sales, giftcard sales etc. Perfect if you don't want to miss any of the short sales, such as flash and blink sales!
    Fastgrab: Receive an email notification when the items in fastgrab change. Perfect if you are interested in fastgrab items!
    Top 21 most discounted items: Every morning, receive an email with the top 21 most discounted items at that moment. This list is customized to only include the items that you don't already own, and that you have not hidden. Perfect for finding some interesting deals each day!
    Best prices in ... Receive email notification of items that are at their 1-month, 2-month, 3-month... lowest price. Perfect for spotting the best discounts!

You may choose all, some, or none of the extra notification settings. It's up to you. I personally suggest subscribing to all of them to get the best possible deals.

When you are ready, click the green "Save" button.

What data is being sent? Email address, passcode, notification percent, whether or not you are a PC+ member (prices are different for members), the notifications you wish to subscribe to, sku of owned items, sku of hidden items (if set to sync). These last two are used to personalize your notifications and not send you email for products you already have, or do not even want.

Tips: The first time you receive a notification, you may be overwhelmed. All items that match the given percentage will be in the email. Including PC+ items! Don't worry though, the next time only items that change price will be sent.

When your PC+ membership changes, all items will be set as new, and you will get a bigger email the first time again. The same is true for when you change the notification percentage.

After the first time, you will only get a notification when the price of an item changes.

I suggest you use the automatic updates. If you don't want to, then you should upload your wishlist regularly to make sure I have the most recent version of it. Recommended times are after a purchase, when some items are removed from the wishlist, and after adding items to the wishlist.

Don't worry if you have several hundred, or even a thousand items in your wishlist, it should not cause any issues. I have close to a thousand items on my wishlist, and have had way over a thousand at one point... :)

Note to people already using my userscripts:

If you're using my "Hide products" userscript, then you will receive an alert window, saying that your previous hidden items have been imported, and the userscript has been turned off. From this moment, only the extension will handle the hidden items, and the "Hide products" userscript will not function. This ensures an almost seamless migration of the previous data.

If you're using my "Wishlist notification" userscript, then you will have the usual "Price-change notifications" box on your Wishlist page, until you enter and save the same data on the email notification page. Clicking on the green "Save" button will finalize the migration of this feature. This will turn off the userscript, and within a few pageloads, the wishlist page should no longer have the separate "Price-change notification" box. Just like with the "Hide products" script, from this moment on, this feature is handled by the extension, and my separate "Wishlist notification" script will be turned off.

Once turned off, these two userscripts will stay turned off, even if you uninstall the extension. All my other userscripts will function normally.

If you do not use the extension, but use my userscripts, the userscripts (even these two) will continue to function normally.

Final notes... :)

This is a HUGE change. Probably the biggest single addition to the extension so far. I am pretty sure that there will be minor bugs that we just could not test. Please bear with us, as we correct them, and most importantly: let us know if you notice any issues.

Some of you have been using two of these three features already. I've personally been using all three for a while, and I have to say, I love them! :) I'm sure you will, too! So while you're waiting for the update to the extension (Chrome already has it, the others are still to come), start building up that excitement! :)

• mrinalmrinal Posts: 641

The price history - is that based on the price shown in the catalog or based on the lowest price showed up on someone's cart? Basically, does it factor in the myriad stacking of discounts?

mrinal said:

The price history - is that based on the price shown in the catalog or based on the lowest price showed up on someone's cart? Basically, does it factor in the myriad stacking of discounts?

It's the best pc+ base price for the given day. It does not include stacking discounts. It's how much it would have cost to buy that product alone.

• mrinalmrinal Posts: 641
    Ati said:
    mrinal said:

It's the best pc+ base price for the given day. It does not include stacking discounts. It's how much it would have cost to buy that product alone.

Just to be clear on what is being considered as a base price here. Say a $10 item shows up in the catalog at 40% off which means the price would be $6. But say, if I have 30% loyalty discount and I add the item to my cart and assuming its the only item in my cart (i.e buying it alone), the price would show up as $4.2 instead of $6. So which price is being considered for the price history here?

(I have used the loyalty bonus as an example. However, it could be any offer that doesn't require a purchase but the final offered price shows up only in the cart.)

• @mrinal the price history does not include the "loyalty discount" or anything else that gets added in-cart. It only knows the price that's shown in the product listing (with PC+ discount applied).

@Ati's write-up covers all the new greatness. :D

Enjoy the extension and the emails! ^_^

mrinal said:
    Ati said:
    mrinal said:

Just to be clear on what is being considered as a base price here. Say a $10 item shows up in the catalog at 40% off which means the price would be $6. But say, if I have 30% loyalty discount and I add the item to my cart and assuming its the only item in my cart (i.e buying it alone), the price would show up as $4.2 instead of $6. So which price is being considered for the price history here?

(I have used the loyalty bonus as an example. However, it could be any offer that doesn't require a purchase but the final offered price shows up only in the cart.)

It's the price that is shown on the product page itself.

In your loyalty discount example, the loyalty discount is not shown in the price history.

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996

o.o The addon is now more robust than the actual store. I'm impressed!

• lx said:

^_^ We aim to please! ^_^

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    lx said:

laugh  laugh  laugh  laugh  laugh  

Dana

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,689

How do I get the update for Firefox?

• @Miss Bad Wolf you join @Ati and I in waiting (im)patiently for the Mozilla Editorial staff to do their thing... It's taking a very long time (2+ weeks) this go around...likely holiday related.

Chrome is different because Google just asks for $$ and ships whatever you give them (they'll remove "bad stuff" later). Mozilla (and Opera fwiw) do an up-front review. There's no way to know when it'll be done, but we'll certainly let everyone know when it lands!

Sorry about the wait...if we could jump the queue, we would! ^_^

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 2016

Ah! that explains the notification I got when I opened up Chrome this morning. It said something about it having been changed and a message about it posting to daz for you...or something like that. I was pretty much still asleep as I'd only just awoken and made my coffee and sat down at the computer. Not being fully awake, I didn't quite understand the message and I disabled the add on. Now I see this, I have to add it again. LOL. Brilliant changes, you two! Wow. 

edit: it said "read and change your data at daz3d.com" so I think I kinda panicked LOL. Also, what is 'civilization.com'?

Post edited by jakiblue on
    jakiblue said:

edit: it said "read and change your data at daz3d.com" so I think I kinda panicked LOL. Also, what is 'civilization.com'?

civilizationhunt.com, that's my site where you'll be getting the email notifications from. [email protected] will be the sender, if you want to whitelist it to make sure you get everything.

(That's only if you sign up to receive notifications of your wishlisted items going on sale, of new sales starting, of the best prices etc.)

This discussion has been closed.