Creating a full-body Genesis morph from a Hexagon model?

Chiza.albaChiza.alba Posts: 0
edited June 2012 in Daz Studio Discussion

In a past question regarding using a Sculptris model to create a DS morph, I was told to export Genesis as .obj, import into Sculptris, modify, export finished model as .obj, and use Morph Loader Pro to import the .obj into DS as a morph. But I found that I was unable to make the required changes to the Genesis model that I would need to create the shape that I want (I'm not very skilled with sculpting).

So I thought maybe I'd try a workaround by importing my Sculptris .obj (made from triangles) into Hexagon, then send from there to Daz Studio (which only takes quads, from what I understand). It worked, I got the model into Daz Studio... but I don't know what to do with it now. I don't know how to rig it from scratch or make it into a Genesis mesh.

Any help would be appreciated! I feel so close but so far away...

ETA: I should have made it more clear that the Sculptris OBJ I imported to Daz Studio from Hexagon is an ORIGINAL Sculptris model made from scratch, NOT a model that was modified from the Genesis OBJ.

Post edited by Chiza.alba on

Comments

• TatalorioTatalorio Posts: 33
    edited June 2012

Use MorphLoader Pro to import the obj as morph.

Just select Genesis, open morph loader pro.

1) Select Chose morph files.. (and select your obj)
    2) Expand the now new item and change whatever you like (name etc.), if you made the char from another morph select reverse deformation
    3) Accept and hope the mesh is still 1:1 after export-import into other apps.

Now you should have the morph in the parameter property group you gave (standard is: Morphs -> Morph Loader.

That's it.

MorphLoader.jpg
    300 x 312 - 67K
    Post edited by Tatalorio on
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,750
    edited December 1969

Well you should set the subdivision level to zero exporting from DS, or else you'll get an error message. The reason is, that obj files are exported with that subdivided mesh as set in the mesh resolution tab.

• Chiza.albaChiza.alba Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I followed those instructions for Morph Loader Pro. Unfortunately something isn't right... I got a warning message saying that geometry did no match and the morph could not be loaded. :( Help!

edited December 1969

told u so, ;-) set subdivision level to 0.

edited June 2012

If I'm understanding right, I only need to set the subdivision level to 0 if I'm exporting Genesis from DS to be modified and imported back as a new morph... I guess I wasn't quite clear enough with my first post. I am NOT using a model that was modified from the Genesis model. I am using a model that is completely made from scratch in Sculptris, and imported into DS using Hexagon as a middleman so that DS would accept the triangulated Sculptris OBJ. I'm hoping it's possible to convert it to a Genesis morph.

Post edited by Chiza.alba on
    edited December 1969

Oh, that is more complicated. Anyway polygoncount should allways be the same or else you'll get errors. this is true for all apps I know. Trying by seting subD- level to o seems to be the best solution.

edited December 1969

I was afraid that it would be. Maybe I should give up on this plan and just try to figure out some other way to make the changes to Genesis that I need. Thanks!

edited December 1969

Ok, so I made a test morph using the Genesis basic female model. So how do I select "reverse deformation" like in PaulSW's instructions? In Morph Loader Pro, "reverse deformation" just has the word no next to it, and I see no way to change it. So what did I do wrong now?

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

just "R click" where you want to change option.
    and you can choose which (yes or no)

Though I do not know you used hexagon bridge or not,
    the image is same when you load your.obj file by morph loader pro.

ml.JPG
    672 x 584 - 66K
    edited December 1969

Thank you!

Something still isn't working here though... my morphs load into DS successfully but when I apply them, they destroy the Genesis model. Have to work a little more on this...

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,833
    edited December 1969

Thank you!

Something still isn't working here though... my morphs load into DS successfully but when I apply them, they destroy the Genesis model. Have to work a little more on this...

For a morph to work the mesh has to keep the same vertice order as the main mesh, if it doesn't what you get is a mesh that explodes into something with a lot of spikes when you dial the morph.
  • tim ti tum tim tumtim ti tum tim tum Posts: 19
    edited November 2014

I've had the same issue and figured this out:

if you have any parented props, you're gonna get into trouble with reverse morphs set to yes.

To solve, I just remove all props and only send the genesis figure by itself to Hex, then do my thing, and load the morph, save it as asset, reload previous save with props, dial the new morph, and all works fine.

If you need the props for your morphing purposes, I save them separately as obj. Then after sending JUST the genesis to hex, I import the prop temporarily but delete it before sending back to DS.

Post edited by tim ti tum tim tum on