Has anyone else had this happen at rendo?

PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Okay I was bored so I googled my user name to see what came up and found this
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=pendraia

I've never been a vendor at rendo but seem to have a vendor page. The avatar is one I use at the forums there...so do we all have this sort of page? Anyone know why I would have one?

Cheers
Pen

Comments

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

I've never been a vendor at rendo but seem to have a vendor page. The avatar is one I use at the forums there...so do we all have this sort of page? Anyone know why I would have one?

Cheers
    Pen

I am getting a bunch of MySQL errors there, so it looks to me like this is just a bug.

It probably starts to gather some information based on the "vendor" parameter provided via the URL, which leads to your avatar being displayed. The MySQL errors are probably resulting then from trying to fill the "potential" vendor page further (getting products etc.) and since you are not a vendor, this fails.

Would probably be better if they'd check in advance on whether you are a vendor at all and then either present a sort of "sorry, no vendor" page or display the adequate vendor page.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Renpatsu said:
    Pendraia said:

Cheers
    Pen

I am getting a bunch of MySQL errors there, so it looks to me like this is just a bug.

It probably starts to gather some information based on the "vendor" parameter provided via the URL, which leads to your avatar being displayed. The MySQL errors are probably resulting then from trying to fill the "potential" vendor page further (getting products etc.) and since you are not a vendor, this fails.

Would probably be better if they'd check in advance on whether you are a vendor at all and then either present a sort of "sorry, no vendor" page or display the adequate vendor page.

All I googled was my user name if you check the vendor list at rendo I don't show up at all. This showed up using google it was on about the fifth page of links. It wasn't that I was looking at rendo to see if I was a vendor. Rendo wasn't even part of the search terms...

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I think, but since I don't know exactly what software they are using to run things there, I can't be 100% sure...

but when you set up an account there, it populates all the parts of it...so you've got your regular forum stuff, your 'user' account and basically a 'blank' vendor account (also a freebie account...although that may just be a 'class' of vendor account). And you need to set things up/activate the other parts of it as you need them

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

All I googled was my user name if you check the vendor list at rendo I don't show up at all. This showed up using google it was on about the fifth page of links. It wasn't that I was looking at rendo to see if I was a vendor. Rendo wasn't even part of the search terms...

Google basically uses bots to fill out its search contents and tries to determine if a URL and its parameters lead to "unique pages" and if so this is a potential search result. This can be steered by web pages, so Rendo could specify (and probably does) what Google should be allowed to "crawl" for example or which URLs (and parameters) lead to the same content.

In your case Google found that specific URL and provided parameters - could be for various reasons, e.g. it could be linked somewhere on Rendo, a place you may not be able to see, but the bot perhaps could - and it led to the result page getting indexed as search result and you found it then.

I'd probably point this out at Rendo. There is/are certainly a bug/bugs when it tries to fill out your (non existant) vendor page and there may be another issue with regards to their Google bot configuration.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    I think, but since I don't know exactly what software they are using to run things there, I can't be 100% sure...

but when you set up an account there, it populates all the parts of it...so you've got your regular forum stuff, your 'user' account and basically a 'blank' vendor account (also a freebie account...although that may just be a 'class' of vendor account). And you need to set things up/activate the other parts of it as you need them

That makes sense...I thought it might be something like that especially as it was using my avatar from the forums there.

Thanks mjc...

Nothing like being prepared I suppose. Lol

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I would never have thought to check, but sure enough, I have one too. I'm also seeing the repetitious MySQL errors. Hmmm . . . interesting.

• kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Just checked myself and I have a vendor account as well. Agree that it's probably set in place when you sign up with Rendo.

Cheers
    GG

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

kiwi_gg said:
    Just checked myself and I have a vendor account as well. Agree that it's probably set in place when you sign up with Rendo.

Cheers
    GG

I think the MySQL errors are because there's nothing configured there...

edited December 2012

Thanks for the input everyone...I think mjc is right and it's automatically done when you sign up for an account.

It never fails to amaze me what you can find when you google your own name.

Post edited by Pendraia on