New User Contest Thoughts and Ideas

2»

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If you render at 800x800 you get NO loss. Just my two cents.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Idea for future contest: using the new features of DS4.5, such as instancing, motion blur, push modifier, and geometry shell. Some of these I've attempted without much success; others I've yet to try because I don't know where to start.
    Scott I think I could cover them all (apart from Motion Blur) in one post. I just don't have time at present but I will see what I can do..no promises though.

Don't quote me on this but I think we would like to keep the learning in general terms and not get too program specific.

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

I think it would wind up being categorized as composition but I'd like to see a landscape based contest. The idea is vaguely from the Feel The Romance contest from the Freepository earlier this year where the focus of the scene was on the environment itself rather than any individual character in it.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

That's a good suggestion, Zamuel. I know I need to work on landscapes.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,361
    edited December 1969

That is a good idea. We'll have to keep that one in mind.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

If you are still looking for contest ideas what about Precarious Predicaments?

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited August 2013

Am idea I have had a few times, thouhg it might not fit the new user truth to be told, is to do a Revision sort of ocntest. As, the ones participating redo a render they did a while ago. First they post the older one (not gonna give a time as I think there is people way better than me to decide those things :) but it should hopefully not be a render done just a few days ago.. Unless perhaps if the one doing it started at that time etc) .. anyhow, first post the older render, get feedback etc and than work on it. And for the actually contest entry thread post both the older one and the new one, and perhaps tell what the changes are etc.

Though it might not be that good fit for the New User. I just figured I could throw it out here, it's an idea that's been in my mind for al ittle while.. not sure it Can be done in the first place though *smiles*

Edit - and I just Now realised how old this thread was.. *sorry* I just saw the it as it came up, read the posts but didn't read the dates *hangs head*

Second edit - On a second note, about the size. I think I read somewhere that SSS shaders required the render to be 1000 or bigger, or they dstored or osmething like that. If so, perhaps raising the size a little would be worth cosnidering (I am the first to admit I might have missunderstood what I read or it might just have been that specific product. I Think it was in Zev0's Growing up thread)

Post edited by Carola O on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

No worries, Carola...though the thread is old we'd love to see some more ideas. Your "revision" concept is a good one...so good, in fact, that we did a contest like that back in January: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14447/ ;-) Not sure if we'll visit that theme again, but it's possible. If you have other ideas please share them.

Found what you were referring to with the 1000 pixels: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/25324/P240/#402753 That's a very good point and I'll bring it up with the other CVs.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Oh, this thread is old too, but I wouldn't mind seeing it revived: Improving with Learning

Same idea: revised versions of old renders. Not a contest, though.

edited December 1969

Oh, this thread is old too, but I wouldn't mind seeing it revived: Improving with Learning

Same idea: revised versions of old renders. Not a contest, though.

I didn't even know that thread existed. It has me revisiting a render I did early ( my second I think ) and trying to improve it, if I can. I have learned a great deal since it was created.

Has there been a contest regarding expressions? I seem to be having difficulty in that area. Especially subtle expressions.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited September 2013

Statements. Have you done that type of thing before?

You give a statement, and all the renders have to demonstrate it. Give a choice of 3-5 statements, so they can choose which one they like. You can even do it with a similar emotion/feeling (as below) or do a variety. The first one is my favorite :)

"Well, THAT didn't go as planned."
    "Practice makes perfect- says who?"
    "You never learn, do you?"
    "You shouldn't have...really."
    "Uh oh."

Post edited by Novica on
  • archangel1802archangel1802 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

since October is Halloween or all hollows eve (at least in the US??).
    what about doing a horror or creepy theme.
    things that scare you, etc.

( i messed around and missed the deadline on the September contest, so i'm itching to get started on this months. )

• Maxstar IllusionsMaxstar Illusions Posts: 500
    edited December 1969

On of things that keeps fascinating me within Art is Conceptual Art or expressing a certain idea. So, how's about making a conceptual render? It can be everyone is expressing the same idea (like Purity, Love or Alter Ego, shadow or something more complicated like Vehemence) or members get a randomly selected idea. And than you have to make a render and explain: What was your vision of an idea and how did you perform it (or how you tried to express the idea in the use of props, lights, postwork etc).

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Just an idea..... something I have a hard time with is posing ...people,animals...ect with- out the use of pre-made poses...and making the clothes ,hair or whatever stay with that character....Trish

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

Hello! I have not yet entered a beginner contest, but I plan to for January. I like the concept-art idea, and I agree that posing figures is difficult and it would be worthwhile to improve this skill.

I have a contest idea too, and that is creating a scene and then rendering it from more than one view, maybe with no changes in poses or props. The goal could be something like "telling two stories", or telling "the rest of the story" that can't be seen in the first view alone.

This would challenge the storytellers amongst us, but might be more than a beginner level because it would require more advanced planning with regards to all manner of things from arranging, posing, and especially lighting. And of course, two renders might be difficult to manage for people with slower machines.

Anyway, it's just a thought. I'll keep an eye out for the start of the January contest... :coolsmile:

• Security16Security16 Posts: 79
    edited December 1969

A really challenging idea would be something like stripped bare which would have figures nude but without showing anything unsuitable for younger people.
    Perhaps different level competitions need to happen because the monthly galleries always felt way out of my depth and I sometimes feel my skill is a bit too much for a beginners level and I get overlooked because of it when I enter.
    I haven't been able to keep up with a platinum club membership being a single parent and all makes spending money on my art stuff slightly extravagant so i'm also out of being able to participate in those platinum club competitions and I really like to be competitive as it helps motivate me and i'm really keen to get to a good level with my 3d art

edited January 2014

A really challenging idea would be something like stripped bare which would have figures nude but without showing anything unsuitable for younger people.
    Perhaps different level competitions need to happen because the monthly galleries always felt way out of my depth and I sometimes feel my skill is a bit too much for a beginners level and I get overlooked because of it when I enter.
    I haven't been able to keep up with a platinum club membership being a single parent and all makes spending money on my art stuff slightly extravagant so i'm also out of being able to participate in those platinum club competitions and I really like to be competitive as it helps motivate me and i'm really keen to get to a good level with my 3d art

I like the idea of a minimalist render containing 1 character or 1 prop. It would really emphasize the need for posing, lighting and camera angle.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Please note this thread is designed to allow New Users to suggest themes for the New Users Contest, not to promote other contests on the site. Thanks.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Please note this thread is designed to allow New Users to suggest themes for the New Users Contest, not to promote other contests on the site. Thanks.

Sorry Chohole.

I will edit my post.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,361
    edited December 1969

What is the one thing most people are wanting to learn from their particular software? Maybe we can come up with some ideas from that.

edited December 1969

what is the official contest for the month of march. im getting mixed signals
    the main entry post says its depth of field
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/37805/

but im seeing a lot of people with banners for "just like the grownups"
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/37797/

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited March 2014

what is the official contest for the month of march. im getting mixed signals
    the main entry post says its depth of field
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/37805/

but im seeing a lot of people with banners for "just like the grownups"
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/37797/

Just like the Grownups is the FreeBe contest this month in the Frepository Forum. The New User contest is the DOF contest in The New Users Contests Forum. You can join both if you wish. They both have very different rules so read them both and then jump in and have some fun. You could even win a nice prize.

They are BOTH DAZ 3D supported contests.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

OK, great i was all geared up for the freebee one and didnt realize there were two going on. thanks for the information