Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial]

Comments

• futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Been a bit under the weather, put me a bit behind schedule... just sent out emails for beta 9.

p.s. Great renders... is inspiring me to spend some time to do some of my own...

thank you
    please post some of yours - love to see them
    Well, took a quick break from coding and had my first attempt at doing an proper animal. Previously I've concentrated on human hair.
    Been meaning to do a Lion for quite a while, as they are a good test for long detailed hair and very dense short hair.
    Built on the free Daz Millennium Big Cat LE.

16,747,292 Hair Strands.
    57,880,132 Vertices.
    Renders in about 8mins on my 4 core machine (1024px x 1024px).
    Garibaldi Express beta 9 Release (Windows 7 64bit).

Maybe a little overboard with the hair strand amount, but why not when you can with not too much memory in Garibaldi.

lion27cropped01.png
    741 x 712 - 762K
  • GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,525
    edited December 1969

Nice mane :)

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Been a bit under the weather, put me a bit behind schedule... just sent out emails for beta 9.

p.s. Great renders... is inspiring me to spend some time to do some of my own...

thank you

Well, took a quick break from coding and had my first attempt at doing an proper animal. Previously I've concentrated on human hair.
    Been meaning to do a Lion for quite a while, as they are a good test for long detailed hair and very dense short hair.

16,747,292 Hair Strands.
    57,880,132 Vertices.

Maybe a little overboard with the hair strand amount, but why not when you can with not too much memory in Garibaldi.

lovely render

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Well..I guess that puts paid to the notion that the LE version 'sucked'...it was just crappy textures.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Well..I guess that puts paid to the notion that the LE version 'sucked'...it was just crappy textures.

For Reference... Without Garibaldi Express:
    lion27Bald.jpg
    512 x 512 - 75K
    edited December 1969

Yep...I've got plastic cats that look better. But with the right hair, it looks pretty darn good.

And....so far, beta 9 and the latest Wine seem to be living happily together, at least for construction of hair...it still crashes on render, in 32 bit. I'll test a little more...

• GoneGone Posts: 832
    edited December 1969

Next up.

Can't compete with a lion though. :-)

MoreHair.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 347K
  • StevieCStevieC Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Been struggling with this one for more than a week now, as I can't work on it more than about ten minutes at a time, due to my poor old laptop constantly crashing Daz. I have 4GB of RAM, but am running at full CPU capacity with only Daz and Garibaldi open, and 100% memory usage.....have to continuously accept and save scenes with each adjustment, but until I can afford an upgrade, this is how I have to operate.....anyway, have yet to work on the second horse, but here it it so far......

Garibali_White_Horse_Mane.jpg
    1110 x 609 - 334K
  • BrumitDBrumitD Posts: 235
    edited December 1969

Used Jingle Fae, Cat-girl for Genesis, and Garibaldi Plugin .9

jinglecat1b.jpg
    1200 x 1293 - 464K
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

bigh said:

thank you

16,747,292 Hair Strands.
    57,880,132 Vertices.

Wow that is amazing!

edited December 2012

YES!!!!!!

Finally...

After yesterday's 'mostly working' the new WINE version was released today...so after spending most of the evening building the latest package, I gladly report SUCCESS!

And as proof...

hair209.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 391K
    hair208.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 338K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • StevieCStevieC Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Many thanks to a dear friend who gave me an early Christmas present of Daz Horse 2! Although I originally had two horses in the scene, my tired old laptop kept freezing while trying to render both, so I had to remove one from the scene....needless to say, with Daz Horse 2, Garibaldi is working a whole lot more smoothly than with the Milleneum horse SR....now the only thing I need is to learn decent lighting in Daz 4.5.....my laptop freezes trying to use uber environment, so if anyone has any suggestions of lighting that resembles uber environment, but won't kill my PC, please let me know....much appreciated, and beautiful renders from everyone so far!

Daz_Horse_2_Mane.jpg
    867 x 610 - 249K
  • ekohamekoham Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

Lazy saturday.
    Here is the final image, with chest, forearm and leg hairs, and a generic head hair.
    I have enough male body hair for this season...

qq3.jpg
    360 x 600 - 24K
  • Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Wow!

Between real life and trying to test a bunch of holiday freebies and stuff, I've not had time to play with this for a few versions. Will get back to it - looking great!

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,681
    edited December 1969

ecocam said:
    Lazy saturday.
    Here is the final image, with chest, forearm and leg hairs, and a generic head hair.
    I have enough male body hair for this season...

Impressive!
    Looks very natural.

edited December 1969

And here's the 'final' version of the beard I had spotty success with rendering before...

This uses 3 hair nodes...one for the beard, one for the brows and one for the 'fuzz cut'...and memory use was well within 'normal', unlike the runaway from some of the earlier experiments. So between the updates to the plugin itself, the latest WINE and the couple of updates I did to build the latest WINE, it looks like everything is working correctly (and this is still the 32 bit version...). It's running rock stable now...I did have one or two crashes due to user error...like don't dry a density of several hundred on the old Poser bull (don't ask...it was late, 'nuff said).

dwarvenforge.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 558K
  • Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 553
    edited December 1969

This looks really great. One question: are you able to create an obj from this or does the plugin handle how the hair is generated within the scene. This may be useful in situations where you want to generate the hair in poser or pass it to Luxrender or Octane external renderers.

The plugin generate optimally structured curve primitives as you render in daz with 3Delight. I wasn't planning on offering the ability to export into any generic poly geometry formats.
    I cringe at the idea of trying to push 10's millions of polys into a simple ascii obj file. Although I would be impressed if a fully physically based GPU render could handle that much geo.

If there a size-able demand for that feature it wouldn't hard to write.

This plugin does look very promising, however unless you did have the option of exporting to geometry (or exporting curves) I wouldn't be interested as I render exclusively in Lux through Reality. I don't know any stats but understand there are a lot of people in a similar position.

Whilst It is possible to achieve realistic results with 3Delight, the effort involved to fake that realism is much greater than the workflow when using an unbiased render engine, particularly when using a product like Reality which drastically improves the workflow.

I understand AM's product LAMH has had a lot of success with creating geometry and yes it can be processing intensive and use large files, but personally I think you could be cutting out a large proportion of your customer base by not offering this feature, particularly for those that want to sell or share hair products without a copy of your plugin.

edited December 1969

Today's experiment...

ptails1.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 208K
  • andyc747andyc747 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Maybe i'm a simpleton, but i cant seem to get the genesis figure into the grabaldi system so that i can use it to create the hair. Am i doing something wrong?

Hopefully the images are attached. Is there anywhere i can look for debug info to debug this?

Thanks.

GB2.jpg
    1022 x 731 - 55K
    GB1.jpg
    567 x 362 - 29K
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Okay please forgive me for not reading through all of the pages. I have a question. I was trying to put hair on Sants's cuff and I can not do so. Below is a screen shot of the right cuff and it shows all most all of the surface selected but as you can see some areas do not have hair on them. The second is a raw render no lights of Santa in his coat. Is there some trick I need to do to get the cuff fully covered with my fur?
    Any help is much appriciated. This plug-in is very easy to use. You get good results with novice use. As seen in my render. I am quit pleased with the results, except for the cuffs that is.

Santatest.jpg
    700 x 420 - 284K
    snapofGaribaldi.jpg
    700 x 507 - 277K
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

Beautiful , I am testing the last build today .. working so far without issues

btw how you made the hair pick up the texture color ? in the last build I see no option to load textures
    or maybe I am missing something

Cath

bigh said:

thank you

16,747,292 Hair Strands.
    57,880,132 Vertices.

• AlexLOAlexLO Posts: 193
    edited December 1969

Couple of tests with the latest build, running under Windows 8

eli_garibalditest2_121112.jpg
    600 x 900 - 272K
    eli_garibalditest1_121112.jpg
    600 x 900 - 293K
    edited December 1969

it looks to me as UV's problems with the Sants's cuff , make sure the UV's of the geometry are done well before creating hair on the model
    any distraction on the UV's will reflect in bad looking hair ( missed or bald spots )

Dollygirl said:
    Okay please forgive me for not reading through all of the pages. I have a question. I was trying to put hair on Sants's cuff and I can not do so. Below is a screen shot of the right cuff and it shows all most all of the surface selected but as you can see some areas do not have hair on them. The second is a raw render no lights of Santa in his coat. Is there some trick I need to do to get the cuff fully covered with my fur?
    Any help is much appriciated. This plug-in is very easy to use. You get good results with novice use. As seen in my render. I am quit pleased with the results, except for the cuffs that is.
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    it looks to me as UV's problems with the Sants's cuff , make sure the UV's of the geometry are done well before creating hair on the model
    any distraction on the UV's will reflect in bad looking hair ( missed or bald spots )

Thanks Cath. I will check that. Did you get your question answered. All I know is that under the Distribute tab there are Colour Settings.

I have another question for the followers of this thread. Does anyone know when the plug-in goes dead? Also if you have made a model can you still use it after the plug-in is no longer active. Not to change it but just to render it again.

Below is my Santa and his beard. Still need to work on a 'tashe but for first time newbie. Wow! This is very easy.

Santabeardsample.jpg
    500 x 559 - 278K
    edited December 1969

According to the plugin info, beta .9 expires on Dec 22.

I uninstalled Garibaldi and opened a scene with Garibaldi hair. The hair did not show so - no - you can't use the hair without Garibaldi.

Interestingly, when I reinstalled Garaibaldi, the scene I opened earlier with Garibaldi uninstalled crashed DS with a access violation in GaribaldiPlugin.dll. All other Garibaldi scenes opened without problems.

edited December 1969

I'm sexy and I know it!

HairyGruggle.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 469K
    edited December 1969

cute hehe

Gone said:
    I'm sexy and I know it!
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

we getting beta or are we done testing ?

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    we getting beta or are we done testing ?

I've been a bit quiet as I've taken a short break from Garibaldi and have been dealing with some other issues.

A new beta is still scheduled to be released with week. As always the will be a multitude of fixes and enhancements.

edited December 1969

StevieC said:
    Been struggling with this one for more than a week now, as I can't work on it more than about ten minutes at a time, due to my poor old laptop constantly crashing Daz. I have 4GB of RAM, but am running at full CPU capacity with only Daz and Garibaldi open, and 100% memory usage.....have to continuously accept and save scenes with each adjustment, but until I can afford an upgrade, this is how I have to operate.....anyway, have yet to work on the second horse, but here it it so far......

4GB should be more than fine. Email me the scene and I'll have a look into if you still feel that a unusual amount of memory is being used.

A few tips to save memory are:
    * Only active character surfaces you will be creating hair on.
    * Reduce the Garibaldi hair preview percentage.
    * Don't use hair width preview.
    * Increase the Garibaldi style interpolation segment length.
    * Reduce the Garibaldi Undo/Redo limit.

....my laptop freezes trying to use uber environment, so if anyone has any suggestions of lighting that resembles uber environment, but won't kill my PC, please let me know....much appreciated, and beautiful renders from everyone so far!

The uber lighting tools in Daz will cause 3Delight to do various on the fly caching operations to speedup rendering the more advanced lighting effects. Although these caching operations make things quicker than simple ray-tracing but they may need quite a lot of memory.

If you want to render lots of hair with not much memory then use deep shadows with spot lights. Deep shadows were designed for rendering things like hair.

If you want to reduce the memory usage and increase speed of the UberEnviorment the try reducing the 'Maximum Trace Distance' (maxDist), reducing the 'Occlusion samples' (samples), increasing the 'Shading Rate' and increasing the 'Max Error'.
    The UberEnviorment almost certainly uses the 3Delight 'occlusion' and 'indirectdiffuse' shader functionality, the technical docs for these are here: http://www.3delight.com/en/uploads/docs/3delight/3delight_35.html#SEC134

This discussion has been closed.