Below the knee skirts for Genesis?

Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Can anyone recommend some longer skirts for Genesis characters? I've found a lot of different skirts available, but so far they're either just above the knee or full length floor-huggers. Are there any good sets which make a happy medium, or better yet are adjustable? Dresses would work equally well, as long as it reaches the same length.

I plan to start work on a Little Red Riding hood render for a young relative's party invitations early next year, so something which would look good on the her would be ideal. I already have a cloak and hood for the part, I just need the outfit.

Comments

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

As a stop gap, I use the MFD. It has multiple material zones you can make transparent. There's also Wilmap's stuff, she has a couple of skirts.
    http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=wilmap

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

At $1.99, the morphing dress was a steal so I picked it up. The shortest I could make it was still ankle length though, and the entire skirt section shares the same material group. I do already have Wilmap's skirts installed, but again they're cut above knee height. I tried removing the limiter on the morphing dress. but you get undesirable results with the bottom of the skirt if you push it beyond its limits. Wilmap has some nice dresses at just above knee height, so I might have to settle on those instead.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 2012

The other option is transparency maps for where you want the skirt to end... that tends to work well.

I REEELY need to learn how to bone a new OBJ Dress... I've found some boned for V4 which have skirts that work SOO WELL that I want to try it with the MFD and Wilmap's stuff...

Post edited by wancow on
    edited December 1969

I found the solution in an unlikely place actually. The Wonderland expansion for the MFD shortens the skirt to the exact height I wanted, and also provides some extra useful props for future projects. All's well that ends well.

edited December 1969

Et voila, Little Red Riding Hood. Though, the hair needs some postwork to play nicely with the hood, it came out rather well I think.

Riding_Hood_1.png
    839 x 892 - 181K
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 2012

Can anyone recommend some longer skirts for Genesis characters? I've found a lot of different skirts available, but so far they're either just above the knee or full length floor-huggers. Are there any good sets which make a happy medium, or better yet are adjustable? Dresses would work equally well, as long as it reaches the same length.

I plan to start work on a Little Red Riding hood render for a young relative's party invitations early next year, so something which would look good on the her would be ideal. I already have a cloak and hood for the part, I just need the outfit.

What style are you looking for? There are a few around now...Lady of the Lake, Elven dress but both are medieval style. Some others fairytale dress for Genesis.
    Genesis Evening gown

Here is the search I did
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/catalogsearch/result/?q=dresses+genesis
    Was there a pharoahs of the sun done for genesis? Yep and also the male one has a long tunic http://www.daz3d.com/shop/pharaohs-of-the-sun-for-genesis-male

All of these could be easily retextured to do a skirt only.

edit to add glad you found a solution....I obviously took too long finding the links.

Post edited by Pendraia on
    edited December 1969

Those are all full length, Pendraia. Lovely dresses in their own right, but not really suitable for hiking to grandmothers house with a basket of goodies. I try to avoid using shorter skirts on young girls, but I couldn't find any that were somewhere in-between above the knee or ballgown length. As depicted above though, I managed to solve it by using the morphing fantasy dress with the wonderland add-on. I simply did a colour-swap with the existing Wonderland texture in Photoshop to get the red dress and the cloak is a custom texture.

Thanks for the suggestions though, they're still wonderful outfits for the right occasion.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Long skirts?

You are asking for something against the 'standards'...didn't you know that the standard hem line is supposed to be about 3" (scaled) below the waist line in the DS/Poser world?

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

I like SickleYield's Plain Skirt.